Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 08:06 PM

Re: Hinckley Point C

Hi

We sold our technology for fast Breeder Reactors,
#
Our Choice, our stupidity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I must confess to being a little confused here and would be grateful for some explanations if possible.

1. If we do not own our nuclear power stations, who does?

2. If we do not operate our nuclear power stations, who does?

3. Assuming that we asked the Chinese and French to build Hinckley Point power station, may I assume that we are paying them to do so?

4. If '3' above is correct, once we have paid them for the construction, would the power station then become our own property?

5. If the answer to '4' is that the power station would not then become our own property, to whom would it belong?
I thought this had all been tendered out. They build and run it and we pay for it a bit like a PFI but not really. It's called a contract. Because it was cheaper to do it this way. More efficient too, fewer tea breaks and "jobsworth"....?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Actually there's surprisingly (?) little covering the reactor itself. The big balls seen from the outside are containment vessels to contain any leakage. The reactor itself is surrounded not by concrete - instead it's water! That's why the base of the reactors is so critical.

I spent a few weeks at Windscale in my last year of studies for my BSc which goodness knows how was awarded to me back in 1965.
Except that it’s 2021 now AT and this is state of the art ( although probably won’t be when it’s finished in 2025 ) Things have changed .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 08:56 PM

I must confess to being a little confused here and would be grateful for some explanations if possible.

1. If we do not own our nuclear power stations, who does?

2. If we do not operate our nuclear power stations, who does?

3. Assuming that we asked the Chinese and French to build Hinckley Point power station, may I assume that we are paying them to do so?

4. If '3' above is correct, once we have paid them for the construction, would the power station then become our own property?

5. If the answer to '4' is that the power station would not then become our own property, to whom would it belong?
The Chinese and french don’t get paid for building it but they will be able to charge us for the power for the next x number of years . A bit like a toll road .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought this had all been tendered out. They build and run it and we pay for it a bit like a PFI but not really. It's called a contract. Because it was cheaper to do it this way. More efficient too, fewer tea breaks and "jobsworth"....?
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The Chinese and french don’t get paid for building it but they will be able to charge us for the power for the next x number of years . A bit like a toll road .
Well I must say I don't like the sound of that.
Can we trust the Chinese, and especially the Frogs (who have shown us that they are effectively our enemies) to run the thing.

It may have been cheaper for us to do it that way and, typically, the government would go for the cheapest option even if it isn't the best option.

However, the problem remains. What happens if they (especially the Frogs) get nasty and decide to turn off the power?
If that ever happened, I'd like to think that we'd go in and take over, by force if necessary, as there's no way we should be held to ransom by our enemies.

I'd like to say that I'd trust the government to do the right thing, but do I hell!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:14 PM

Except that it’s 2021 now AT and this is state of the art ( although probably won’t be when it’s finished in 2025 ) Things have changed .
Certainly have! But other than the whole nature of the reactor and it's purpose - not producing electricity but plutonium, the design was radically different. A magnox reactor is a strange beast indeed! Hinkley Point is a pressurised water reactor but designed to be intrinsically safe. Loose the water for any reason and the increased heat as a result literally melts the control rods (in this case control powder) and straightway the core ceases to be critical and simply CAN'T remain hot so no Three Mile Island or Chernobyl "Elephants Foot".

But apart from the very different shape of the reactor core is size. Is how the core is charged and how surprisingly small it was. And of course the Sellafield Sparrow.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2021, 09:38 PM

There is nothing small about Hinkley point C it’s footprint is enormous the sea wall alone is 759 metres long and about 14 metres high ,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:45 PM

Well I must say I don't like the sound of that.
Can we trust the Chinese, and especially the Frogs (who have shown us that they are effectively our enemies) to run the thing.

It may have been cheaper for us to do it that way and, typically, the government would go for the cheapest option even if it isn't the best option.

However, the problem remains. What happens if they (especially the Frogs) get nasty and decide to turn off the power?
If that ever happened, I'd like to think that we'd go in and take over, by force if necessary, as there's no way we should be held to ransom by our enemies.

I'd like to say that I'd trust the government to do the right thing, but do I hell!

I thought you said we had troops who step in and take over the power stations in an emergency? I can't remember the details but I thought you don't need much plutonium once the power station is set up.

We have very good power infrastructure in Britain. Plus armed forces that are on the side of what's right not all corrupt like in some countries. Whatever you hear of other bodies you don't hear it of armed forces. Of course the tories are making cuts to that. Wonder why nobody is up in arms (no pun!) about that?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-06-2021, 09:47 PM

There is nothing small about Hinkley point C it’s footprint is enormous the sea wall alone is 759 metres long and about 14 metres high ,
less than a drop in the ocean of other building programmes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:48 PM

There is nothing small about Hinkley point C it’s footprint is enormous the year wall alone is 759 metres long and about 14 metres high ,
That's fo sho but it's the carbon footprint that's important and as been mentioned it has to be viewed in terms of "from dust to rust"

When I wrote of reactor size I was referring not to the size of the overall plant, it was about the bit that gets warm.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top