Join for free
Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 08:37 PM

Re: No talent "art""

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
You are dismissing abstract art, but you don't even seem to know what you mean by the term. Just what are you including in the category of abstract art, and what is contained in the concept of it that you reject?
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard a story on the radio the other day of someone who bought an 'invisible sculpture' on Ebay for £16,000 or something like that.
Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Someone up here tried to sell fresh Scottish air in little bottles. Worked too, for a while!
Instead of listing that which I reject, I think it better to say what I embrace. I embrace awesome talent: be it musical talent ie; Mozart, great word smiths ie; Wilbur Smith, fantastic sculptors ie; Michelangelo, architects such as the unknown person who designed The Great Pyramid of Khufu, and any other person who advances mankind by shear will of their minds and by that mysterious God given awesome talent that pops up from time to time.

I strongly reject con men. Longdogs brought up a wonderful example, ie; that con man who sold an invisible sculpture for 16,000.

I reject anything that requires absolutely no talent and then tries to pass himself off as an artist. I find this a "dumbing-down" of humanity. The so-called "abstract art", is a dumbing-down of humanity.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 08:45 PM

But you still haven't really explained what you understand about abstract art - how do you know there is no talent behind abstract art? Also, I disagree with you that such art is a dumbing down of humanity. I would say that abstract art connects humanity, really, because everyone can interpret it as they see it. Unfortunately you see it as B.S, which is your opinion but it isn't shared by many, thankfully.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

I reject anything that requires absolutely no talent and then tries to pass himself off as an artist. I find this a "dumbing-down" of humanity. The so-called "abstract art", is a dumbing-down of humanity.
But this all happens in a little world that you are no part of. How then is it able to dumb you down?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:11 PM

I had to post one of Marge's latest efforts.
Apparently, it's a recognised style called 'disrupted realism'!
I'd never heard of it and it certainly doesn't appeal to me anyway.

Nevertheless, she's sold quite a number of her paintings now, admittedly of more traditional style, so it wouldn't surprise me if she manages to sell this one... one day.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	15899  
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Nevertheless, she's sold quite a number of her paintings now, admittedly of more traditional style, so it wouldn't surprise me if she manages to sell this one... one day.
I don't know what Marge is getting at with that painting, JBR, but my -albeit uneducated- instinct is that it is rather good.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:20 PM

I don't know what Marge is getting at with that painting, JBR, but my -albeit uneducated- instinct is that it is rather good.
Really? She calls it 'Highlights'.
(Something about when you go to the hairdresser you're hoping to look beautiful, but you never know exactly how you're going to turn out.)

A3 on canvas. She reckons £150.

Wanna buy it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:22 PM

Abstract is not really my thing although I accept that it is for some, we all have different tastes; but what I don't buy into are the so called experts that tell us what the artist was thinking when he painted the 'green square'.

''It [the green square] represents a very difficult period for the the artist. The four sides represent the four women in his life each of whom he loved passionately but unfortunately they all left him for other men, men who were not averse to washing on a regular basis and didn't wear a paint spattered smock.''

He probably just thought ''....Mmmm, I know, I'll paint a green square''
Harbal
South Yorkshire

12-06-2021, 09:28 PM

Really?

Wanna buy it?
Yes, really, but I am trying to rid myself of as many material possessions as I can manage without, and as much as I like Marge's painting (really), I can manage without it. But please pass on my compliments to Marge; you obviously married above your station.

Only kidding, JBR.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-06-2021, 09:41 PM

Yes, really, but I am trying to rid myself of as many material possessions as I can manage without, and as much as I like Marge's painting (really), I can manage without it. But please pass on my compliments to Marge; you obviously married above your station.

Only kidding, JBR.
Thank you!
To be honest, she assures me that she was only messing about and she'll probably paint over it.

But how about this one? Apparently it's called 'Onement Vi' By Barnett Newman (whoever he is) and was sold for $43.8 million!
Clearly, some people have more money than sense.
I bet that took some planning!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	15900  
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 09:43 PM

I like that...its very interesting. I'd be interested to know what it means (if anything) I have my own interpretation. Well done Marge!

Oh wait...you explained it up there. Missed that, oops!

Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top