Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Re: Which hacksaw? Or cutting tool...

I'm all for the junior hacksaw .... a pleasantly easy tool to manipulate
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 08:47 PM

I have installed two Yale replacements in rented accommodation recently using the instructions in solution one of my reply without any difficulty.

Having reviewed the various replies my advice now is to get someone who knows what they are doing to install the lock.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I tried cutting it with my hacksaw but only succeeded in making the groove just fractionally wider.
I forgot to say that there are various types of blade, the one you need should have TC (Tungsten carbide) teeth, the normal blades will not cut hardened steel. Unfortunately most DIY stores only sell the carbon steel blades.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 08:55 AM

I have fitted dozens of these locks over the years and would argue that the spindle is not hardened steel as it doesn't need to be, as it is inaccessible for cutting by an intruder when installed in the door. I would also argue that if the instructions say cut with a hacksaw then that is the tool to use.

The spindle needs to be held firmly, preferably in a vice of some type or in a pair of strong pliers or grips, and then a standard junior hacksaw with a standard general purpose blade should certainly do the job...it always worked for me.....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I have fitted dozens of these locks over the years and would argue that the spindle is not hardened steel as it doesn't need to be, as it is inaccessible for cutting by an intruder when installed in the door. I would also argue that if the instructions say cut with a hacksaw then that is the tool to use.

The spindle needs to be held firmly, preferably in a vice of some type or in a pair of strong pliers or grips, and then a standard junior hacksaw with a standard general purpose blade should certainly do the job...it always worked for me.....
Thanks. Again, I'll take on board yours and other words of advice.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
I have installed two Yale replacements in rented accommodation recently using the instructions in solution one of my reply without any difficulty.

Having reviewed the various replies my advice now is to get someone who knows what they are doing to install the lock.
Not being funny, but I DO know what I'm doing! It's just that I lack the strength that you fellas seem to possess.

I took out my existing lock to see what goes where, and measured up the two spindles, that's how I know the new one needs trimming down to fit. And also my own hacksaw wouldn't cut it.

I do a lot of my own DIY and repairs and also theoretically know a lot. I just love it. There are 5 woodwork items in my flat which I made in an adult education class (2 years running) many years ago, and of which I am very proud. Unfortunately I can't buy every tool on the market and repeat, wish I had the strength to do more.

Thanks to ALL of you who have replied with your ideas: very much appreciated!
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Try a hacksaw using a 'Irwin Bi-Metal Hacksaw Blade 24Tpi 300mm'. They have a 5 star rating on Screwfix website. Use a bench vice to hold the spindle it'll make the job a lot easier. I can recommend Irwin products as their general purpose WOOD saw is brilliant, I even cut a tree down with an 8 inch wide trunk. Unc' Mo, DIY Maniac
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 02:31 PM

The art of cutting metal is first make sure your work piece is rock solid in a vice, then use the junior hacksaw (as suggested above ) to easily cut through, it may help to use a small squirt of WD 40 first.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 03:40 PM

I can't believe some of these replies, talk about using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, it's only a 2 mm thick spindle, and people are using a vice and a grinder.
It's only a minute of a job with a pair of grips and a small hacksaw, unless you have arthritis in your hands.
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 09:51 AM

The spindle is nearer 6mm thick and indeed it could be held with a good pair of pliers and cut with a junior hacksaw, but a bench vice will, if you've got one, make the job 10 times easier.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top