Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Britain's Great Flood

Has anyone else heard about this?

A huge surge of water swept down the North Sea on 31 January 1953, pulverising the east and south-east coasts of England in an onslaught with powerful echoes even now.

That national trauma 60 years ago - one of the worst peacetime disasters in British history - still guides research into the dangers of coastal flooding and the efforts to manage defences against it.

The final death toll of 307 led to an entirely new perception of the risk the sea could pose to an island nation

I am quite a fan of horror stories but when I read this paragraph:

As the people of Lincolnshire and East Anglia were coping with the shock and misery of lost lives and devastated homes, households further south - in the Thames Estuary - went to bed with no clue that the deadly waters were heading their way.

It sent chills through me - how awful was that.

The article goes on to say that our coastlines are better protected. If ours are anything to go by they aren't!

I wonder if that's likely to ever happen again?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Re: Britain's Great Flood

Awfull, apparently there was a tsunami in Somerset once!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Really! I didn't know that. I remember a 'bad' earthquake in Birmingham about 30 years ago, that was frightening.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Don't grumble about a bit of flooding, Great Britain was once at the bottom of an ocean.
Hawkworth
New Member!
Folkestone
Hawkworth is male 

08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

I remember seeing the flood on cinema news - didn't have a telly in those days. Also felt the Birmingham earthquake while still in bed in Shropshire. Was also in Holland and North Germany when waters started rising up the dyke during a storm surge. Not a good feeling. Let's hope we don't get another flood. It the Thames Flood Barrier not supposed to stop it?
With best wishes
Hawkworth
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Yes, East Anglia was flooded in 1953, especially here where I live in Lowestoft. Fortunately I was still living in London then but do have the book about the Lowestoft flooding called 'Wall of Water'.
Hawkworth
New Member!
Folkestone
Hawkworth is male 

08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Yes that was the great problem - the Wall of Water - it was a massive surge under a low pressure air system and known to be heading for the SE coast. This was only recognised during a late stage of development and by then there was system of warning the people who lived there. Why didn't they make use of the radio? I believe policemen went around blowing their whistles. It must have been awful.
Hawkworth
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Here's a spooky prediction I read for 2012 - 2032:

"Over the years the weather will change and fluctuate, some areas becoming much dryer, others flooding. There has been a great deal of pollution in some parts, and this will be cleansed slowly. Where land needs to be cleansed, this will mainly be achieved by flooding and all low-lying areas are at risk. We can also anticipate unexpected earthquakes, high winds and fires, even where they have never been evident before.
England has lost its purpose over the last decades. Pouring money into financial trading and war rather than into farming and wisdom has held the UK back.
Between 2012 and 2032 many low- lying areas will flood. There will mass movement to higher ground. The mountains are all pure, but those Scotland are the purest."

p.s. I saw somewhere (can't remember where), that most of London will be under water at some stage because of the Thames.

p.p.s. Don't shoot the messenger!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Don't grumble about a bit of flooding, Great Britain was once at the bottom of an ocean.
I was just surprised Alan - the article referring to it as The Great Flood and I didn't even know we'd had one!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkworth ->
I remember seeing the flood on cinema news - didn't have a telly in those days. Also felt the Birmingham earthquake while still in bed in Shropshire. Was also in Holland and North Germany when waters started rising up the dyke during a storm surge. Not a good feeling. Let's hope we don't get another flood. It the Thames Flood Barrier not supposed to stop it?
With best wishes
Hawkworth
Hello Hawkworth, welcome to the forum.

You're not a bringer of storms are you

It is frightening isn't it - no bargaining with nature, I suppose that's why it's so scary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top