Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Re: feeling low

I go walking in the woodland, breathe some green air and listen to nature for while - then come home and cuddle a cat.
Works wonders.
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 12:06 PM

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" cure for feeling low. The suggestions already made are helpful and will work for some people and not others.

For a while I studied meditation and mindfulness at a local buddhist centre. They work on the philosophy that happiness is in the mind. After a while I began to understand this and by applying their principles I found that I could alter my mood. This was several years ago but once learnt never forgotten and, for me, it still works most of the time.

If you are interested in following this up I'm sure there will be plenty of information on line just by keying in a few key words.

In any event I hope you soon feel back to normal.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 12:28 PM

If I feel low... but not ill in any way, I tell myself to snap out of it, self pity will get me nowhere.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 12:53 PM

I have dogs and no matter how I feel I have to take them out..

A lot of the time being out in the fresh air and looking at the wonder of nature helps and on days when it rains? Rain is great for hiding tears.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I generally spend some time walking around some of the reserves around here, coast countryside, or woodland, sinking in to the ambiance of the place and letting nature work its magic.

And if im honest occasionally a few drinks with music or a film to take my mind off things.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Hi Myra you could put the Radio on with some nice pleasant music or nip to the Shops or jump on a bus and have a ride out somewhere in the country or go to a tea shop. I've done all this when i feel low and as time goes on you being to snap out of it.. Take Care x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I have dogs and no matter how I feel I have to take them out..
I wish Chloe would pee in the garden (my own fault long story).There are few things worse when you have been ill all night and can hardly stand than having to get up and walk a dog with the risk of throwing up in front of a neighbour .
..Or if you are in a lot of physical pain and still have to drag yourself out.

I find the best thing is not to 'think' at all but to 'do,' get on with something which at least gives a sense of achievement at having accomplished some task and 'beaten' an adversary.
mick4810
United Kingdom
mick4810 is male  mick4810 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 04:16 PM

I feel low often and for no real reason. Should feel blessed that I have no real problems. I just look at the many people with real reason to be low.
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
If I feel low... but not ill in any way, I tell myself to snap out of it, self pity will get me nowhere.
"Just snap out of it." Long recognised as the thing not to say to someone feeling down. I realise that you can say it to yourself, but just snapping out of it has never been an option for me.

It's taken me a long time, but now I'm able to recognise that all things, including feeling low, will end and there is always a better time to look forward to.

Love the positive and helpful comments here. Thanks to all who posted them.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Myra , I tell myself "this too will pass", I try not to fight it , I also find as the day goes on I feel better . I do understand , as often there is no reason or way of understanding the feeling,. I live alone , and family are far away , so I am dependant on myself to live for each day. Today I'm going to visit a friend for an hour , then I'm going to an exercise class for an hour . When my little grandchildren visited last time my face lift up with such a smile , the little four year old said " Nanny you look so happy ". I realised then that it's not often I feel that happy . Just do all you can for yourself, you deserve to be uplifted . Just know that although I don't know you I am thinking of you and sending love x
Susan, that quote " this too will pass" was one I used on a mental health forum and I know it really helped people. What a lovely compassionate woman you are.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top