Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 07:34 PM

Re: Hearing gone

I've replied to your post that you haven't acknowledged. I wish you well.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 08:13 PM

The popping you describe is sometimes to do with partial or complete blockage of the Eustachian tube which can cause sensations of popping, clicking, and ear fullness and occasionally ear pain.

The eustachian tube regulates the pressure in the middle ear and drains away any secretions which is good when you have a cold or other viral infection.
It is often temporarily blocked due to viral infections.

If the eustachian tube function is poor air pressure in the middle ear can fall and the ear feels full and sounds are muffled which could be what is happening with you.

There may be no infection there now but it may have gone leaving a bit of an issue with the tube in it's wake.

I did have the popping noise earlier this year and I was worried that it would last for ever. It came and went and was worse in the early evening for some reason. It was there when I was going to sleep but it was gone in the early part of the day.

Eventually it went completely. I hope that is what will happen in your case.
When your hearing in the other ear is so comprimised you need that one functioning as well as possible. You might benefit from a visit to an ENT consultant if it doesn't get better.

Some people find that Sudafed decongestants and steam inhalations help a bit, it's something you could try possibly.

I don't think it's anything to do with the citalopram TBH, citalopram can cause aural sounds but they are more like feeling like you can hear singing etc, it's not a physical thing and it's part of getting used to medication which works on your brain chemistry.

Anyway good luck and hope it improves bit by bit.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I've replied to your post that you haven't acknowledged. I wish you well.
Sorry Myra - didn't mean to appear rude.

The psychological affects of this up-and-down hearing is hard to cope with so I'm not coming on here very often because I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on anything for much more than ten minutes at a time.

Also the tinnitus has "ramped-up" considerably, as if I didn't have enough to contend with!

Bit better so far this morning but it's hard not to feel disappointed when I turn my left aid on to find nothing's changed. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
The popping you describe is sometimes to do with partial or complete blockage of the Eustachian tube which can cause sensations of popping, clicking, and ear fullness and occasionally ear pain.

The eustachian tube regulates the pressure in the middle ear and drains away any secretions which is good when you have a cold or other viral infection.
It is often temporarily blocked due to viral infections.

If the eustachian tube function is poor air pressure in the middle ear can fall and the ear feels full and sounds are muffled which could be what is happening with you.

There may be no infection there now but it may have gone leaving a bit of an issue with the tube in it's wake.

I did have the popping noise earlier this year and I was worried that it would last for ever. It came and went and was worse in the early evening for some reason. It was there when I was going to sleep but it was gone in the early part of the day.

Eventually it went completely. I hope that is what will happen in your case.
When your hearing in the other ear is so comprimised you need that one functioning as well as possible. You might benefit from a visit to an ENT consultant if it doesn't get better.

Some people find that Sudafed decongestants and steam inhalations help a bit, it's something you could try possibly.

I don't think it's anything to do with the citalopram TBH, citalopram can cause aural sounds but they are more like feeling like you can hear singing etc, it's not a physical thing and it's part of getting used to medication which works on your brain chemistry.
Anyway good luck and hope it improves bit by bit.
Thanks for that Anita.

I knew about the eustachian tube but I discounted that as the NHS Lab said there was no infection found in the sample taken from my left ear on the 21st of April - when I could barely hear at all.

A viral infection is a possibility I was thinking about yesterday as I've had a bit of a sniffle the past three days and had bouts of sneezing several times daily, at work, like I sometimes get with hay fever.

Maybe even some kind of allergic reaction - I don't know, but I've never had anything quite like this before in the 23 years I've had hearing problems and I have had a range of things!

I can't get on with Sudofed but I've been using Vick Vapor Rub at night for three nights now, just in case it was a cold or 'flu I was getting and, so far today I'm OK apart from the fact that it's a lot less hearing now in the left ear than before.

As I expected, my enquiry to Audiology about Citalopram has drawn a response from somebody high-up at the Hospital insisting that they couldn't possibly comment and I should refer it back to my Doctor - why does that feel like passing the buck?

My email was purely speculative and I thought helpful as I thought that there could be a possible link to my problem and someone else like me could go through it.

I'm not medically trained of course but I am the patient.

Perhaps the NHS do not want feedback from patients these days but that seems counter-productive to me or maybe it's a fear of litigation when that wasn't my reasoning at all. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

04-05-2015, 09:41 AM

The popping has stopped!

I can't believe it and I'm trying NOT to get too euphoric just in case.

My hearing in my left ear has returned but it's not like it was before but at least I can manage better again - it's such a relief.

I know I mustn't get complacent and I've got my appointment to discuss Cochlear Implants next month but the shock if losing everything it that ear threw me completely and I could barely function or concentrate.

It also made me realise that I must practise lip reading as much as I can now because although I can just about get by with a little hearing and utilising lip reading I still can't cope with lip reading on it's own - yet.

That's the next goal!

Have a nice Bank Holiday! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Better news brilliant Steve, and you sound a bit more positive - you know I was thinking the other day I always train my dogs to verbal and hand signal commands because they usually lose their hearing in old age, perhaps that is something us humans should do in preparation should it happen to us. Not wait until we need it. Might also give us an insight into hearing problems which couldn't hurt any of us.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
The popping has stopped!

I can't believe it and I'm trying NOT to get too euphoric just in case.

My hearing in my left ear has returned but it's not like it was before but at least I can manage better again - it's such a relief.

I know I mustn't get complacent and I've got my appointment to discuss Cochlear Implants next month but the shock if losing everything it that ear threw me completely and I could barely function or concentrate.

It also made me realise that I must practise lip reading as much as I can now because although I can just about get by with a little hearing and utilising lip reading I still can't cope with lip reading on it's own - yet.

That's the next goal!

Have a nice Bank Holiday! stevmk2
It is likely that you are experiencing a bit of eustachian tube dysfunction, that can be brought on after a viral infection.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

06-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
It is likely that you are experiencing a bit of eustachian tube dysfunction, that can be brought on after a viral infection.
That's all very well as you may not have seen my post mentioning this Pats.

We were told that the test results from the swab the Doctor used on my left ear came back negative for infections.

I'm seeing another Doctor on Friday and I'll be asking her what happened regarding prescribed eardrops, especially the 2nd prescription that we were then told to definitely NOT take them. stevmk2
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
That's all very well as you may not have seen my post mentioning this Pats.

We were told that the test results from the swab the Doctor used on my left ear came back negative for infections.

I'm seeing another Doctor on Friday and I'll be asking her what happened regarding prescribed eardrops, especially the 2nd prescription that we were then told to definitely NOT take them. stevmk2
The tests would have been for bacterial infections, though, and would not detect viral infections, so Pats could well be right.

Glad it's getting better though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:29 PM

That's better news, Steve!

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top