Join for free
Page 11 of 48 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 02:18 AM

Re: The Indigenous Australians

I don't mind fielding a few more overs - googlie away Muddy!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 07:34 AM

Surely the situation with the Aborigines is just the same as apartheid in South Africa. ie. racial prejudice! That is where the problem is because both groups of people were treated as inferior, even though the land was theirs long before the white people moved in. Over the last 50 years in Britain I can see that black people, who didn't originally own this land, have moved from being sub standard people to worthwhile members of our community. Over that period we had to learn 2 things:-
1) If we didn't admit to recognizing them as inferior, nothing would ever get better
2) If we treated them with respect many of them had something to offer this country.
The majority of people here now view black people as just another citizen, who has a better suntan than we do, but when I discuss this with British people who have emigrated to Australia, they tell me that Aborigines are still treated like inferior beings. It is a long job, but until the whites can stand alongside them and protest for them to have equal status things will not change. Surely you do need to accept that they are treated differently before you can claim that they are equal to other Australians, after all it was originally their country.
Who is the Nelson Mandela of Australia who will give all to make sure the Aborigines are equals in their own country?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
If only you'd have a solution, Muddy, instead of telling us we're too slow to fix your ancestors crimes. We're going round in circles with this thread.
I wish you'd go and annoy the American membership for a change. Start a thread on Indians. They might appreciate it. We don't.
i am asking for reasons Mr P not offering solutions .
Are you speaking for all the Australians on the forum ?
Or all of Australia ?.
We really don't want to get into ancestors crimes do we .
There are people who ancestors crimes are far more recent and like the injustices against the Indiginous Australian are within living memory .

The facts are that every other nation on earth in this situation – such as New Zealand, America and Canada – have signed treaties with their First Peoples.

That’s not to suggest things are perfect in those countries – they aren’t but that I think is for another thread

Aboriginal Australians have one of the worst life expectancies on earth, Aboriginal Australians have the highest recorded rates of rheumatic heart disease on earth (a preventable disease ) Aboriginal children and adults still suffer from trachoma, a third world disease eradicated in most third world nations; Aboriginal people in Australia have the highest Indigenous jailing rate on earth.

Not good reading for the Lucky Country .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Surely the situation with the Aborigines is just the same as apartheid in South Africa. ie. racial prejudice! That is where the problem is because both groups of people were treated as inferior, even though the land was theirs long before the white people moved in. Over the last 50 years in Britain I can see that black people, who didn't originally own this land, have moved from being sub standard people to worthwhile members of our community. Over that period we had to learn 2 things:-
1) If we didn't admit to recognizing them as inferior, nothing would ever get better
2) If we treated them with respect many of them had something to offer this country.
The majority of people here now view black people as just another citizen, who has a better suntan than we do, but when I discuss this with British people who have emigrated to Australia, they tell me that Aborigines are still treated like inferior beings. It is a long job, but until the whites can stand alongside them and protest for them to have equal status things will not change. Surely you do need to accept that they are treated differently before you can claim that they are equal to other Australians, after all it was originally their country.
Who is the Nelson Mandela of Australia who will give all to make sure the Aborigines are equals in their own country?

Aboriginal peoples are recognized both socially and legally as equal citizens to ‘whitfellas’ Yes there is of course racial prejudice on a street level with some of the white population displaying it. However should they express this racial prejudice verbally and in public they will be taken before the equal right commission and of course can be taken to court by the offended Aboriginal person. Incidences of this occasionally occur but are not frequent.

As I mentioned previously one of our PM’s publically in parliament apologized on behalf of all the nation for the injustices of the past. Racial prejudice continues to occur in other countries of the world. America comes to mind when Obama was campaigning for the presidency –many southern ‘whitfellas’ were vocally prejudice against a ‘blackfella’ becoming president.

The cadre of highly qualified Aboriginal professionals who mix seamlessly with their white counterparts both in and out of parliament also are champions for those Aborigines who are less qualified and at the lower levels of society.

So Aborigines are getting their lands back; they are legally equal to ‘whitefellas’ and slowly but surely are improving their own lot in life but also helping their fellow Aborigines.

Govts can always do more we believe but slowly but surely progress is always made and racial prejudice doesn’t disappear over night. In terms of a single Mandela we have had many Mandelas .

Eddie Marbo comes to mind of course as the first black man to win his day in court and prove that ‘terra nullis’ did not exist when the whites arrived. This established the right of Aborigines to claim their land back through the high court.He was a brave man and we stand in awe of him.

The stand on the Nullabor plains against white invasion of their lands also comes to mind. The first Aboriginal who won a place in parliament. All universities around Australia now have an Aboriginal studies centre with a Dean in charge of each one. All champions in their own right. Aborigines in govt positions, universities, construction sites, parliament all have equal right openly recognized and acknowledge.

Yes you can still see some racial prejudice on some streets in some towns but this is the last wave and it will eventually be washed away. No law can make it disappear immediately
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

I made that comparison at post #81 on page 9 Diane darlin'.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 08:45 AM

I don't think it's quite like the apartheid in South Africa .
(Ironically though many South Africans moved to Australia and have had to rein in their prejudices as many Australians don't appreciate their attitude .)
There are a number of Aborigines that are beginning to come to the fore.
Adam Goodes the Aussie rules football player was in the news earlier this year
Named as Australian of the Year he was then called an 'ape ' on the football field by a 13 year old girl . He called her out and security removed her from the football field . He had no way of knowing she was 13 ( she didn't look it and it's no excuse anyway) subsequently he was booed everytime he went on the pitch or touched the ball .
He is not a Mandela but he is a man who speaks out for the Aboriginal people.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/in-a-...31-giolfa.html
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't think it's quite like the apartheid in South Africa .
(Ironically though many South Africans moved to Australia and have had to rein in their prejudices as many Australians don't appreciate their attitude .)
There are a number of Aborigines that are beginning to come to the fore.
Adam Goodes the Aussie rules football player was in the news earlier this year
Named as Australian of the Year he was then called an 'ape ' on the football field by a 13 year old girl . He called her out and security removed her from the football field . He had no way of knowing she was 13 ( she didn't look it and it's no excuse anyway) subsequently he was booed everytime he went on the pitch or touched the ball .
He is not a Mandela but he is a man who speaks out for the Aboriginal people.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/in-a-...31-giolfa.html

Which proves the point - there is still a lot of racism in Aiustralia. If that weren't so, why did the crowds express their dissatisfaction with him - they should have applauded him and recognised that he was correct in what he previously did irrespective of the age of the perpetrator.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Not everyone did and it backfired on them in the support he received all over Sydney .
Australian like us Brits can poke fun at themselves too

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swa...0150730-gio9hs
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Im not keen on Australians, they are in the Rugby Final, gave us Dame Edna Everage, and Prisoner Cell block H, each of these is a criminal act.

However i do like Digeridoos and Boomerangs, hope my helpful insights contribute to this discussion, and can i apologies to the whole world for my ancestors behavior while im here.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I don't mind fielding a few more overs - googlie away Muddy!!
I am not really in to cricket recognised the term though
I have only ever been to one match but what a match England playing the West Indies in he CWC in Barbados .
Probably one of the most exciting matches ever played !
A propos de nothing and completely off topic I found that the Googlie was invented by Bernard Bosenquet thus is often called a Bosie Downunder .
He was the father of Reginald Bosequet who was a news presenter many years ago .
Sorry to digress .

Page 11 of 48 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top