Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Re: Gout! Again....

Oh dear Bob I wonder if you were supposed to take the full course of colchicine tablets to ensure the gout was cleared. Time to ease up a bit and ensure yourself you are properly fit before you restart your distance runs.

I hope all goes well for Mrs Fox with her procedure at the hospital tomorrow.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I should have listened to you Mags........

Both big toe joints have been painful during the night.
Although they didn't keep me awake (nothing much does) on my five or six visits to the toilet during the night after drinking copious amounts of water, I was hobbling proper. And it was even worse as I had to hobble around Tesco first thing this morning without the help of Mrs Fox....
– Snip –
All this talk of painful gout must have been heard in this direction as mine was really bad yesterday. No problems for months but suddenly I couldn't walk on it. Very painful and inconvenient too!

Perhaps some of this on the link below will help, I will have a look next time I am shopping:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/264685493
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Oh what a setback OGF and at an already stressful time !
Has Mrs Fox had her vaccination ? Do they do them if a hospital procedure is to take place?
They don't insist on having the vaccine Zuleika, just a negative Covid 19 test, which she had on Thursday. I'm happy to report she was clear of infection....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
OGF I know nothing about gout but do know what it’s like to “ hobble “ to the bathroom during the night as I have bunion flare ups on both feet thus necessitating using a walking stick from bed to bathroom . Walking on the outer edges of the feet is not good ?
I expect you’re going to have to rest with both feet up today ?
I have a bunion on my right big toe joint Zuleika, which is made worse by the gout. The bunion has been grumbling away (as well as me...) for many years and until recently is manageable. Strangely, It doesn't bother me when I'm running but sometimes is difficult to decide whether the pain is coming from the bunion or the gout. I feel your pain though.....I could hardly walk this morning....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-02-2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh dear Bob I wonder if you were supposed to take the full course of colchicine tablets to ensure the gout was cleared. Time to ease up a bit and ensure yourself you are properly fit before you restart your distance runs.

I hope all goes well for Mrs Fox with her procedure at the hospital tomorrow.
You were right Mags, I should have taken longer to recover... To be honest, the swelling on my left big toe joint has never really gone away, but the redness had subsided and it was a lot easier to walk on and even driving was better while operating the clutch.

Last year I only took about four colchicine before the pain and swelling went away. This time round the colchicine hasn't worked so well, even after taking seven tablets, so I will finish the course. When they issue the colchicine they tell you to only take it until the pain subsides and not necessarily finish the course. Because I don't like taking any kind of medication I was probably a bit previous....

Thanks for wishing Mrs Fox well for tomorrow, I will pass on your good wishes Mags...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-02-2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All this talk of painful gout must have been heard in this direction as mine was really bad yesterday. No problems for months but suddenly I couldn't walk on it. Very painful and inconvenient too!

Perhaps some of this on the link below will help, I will have a look next time I am shopping:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/264685493
Sorry to hear of your recent attack Baz, welcome to my world...
I hope you are rid of the pain soon....
Thanks for the link Baz, it's time to get serious, so I shall return to Tesco after lunch and purchase a carton of forsaid Cherry Juice, as well as the walnuts I forgot to get this morning.

Perhaps you might be interested in Walnuts, I take them every day on my porridge. I'll go find the link....

Enjoy....

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_1

Quote from the link....

A preliminary, small study in healthy adults showed that eating a walnut-rich meal prevented oxidative damage of “bad” LDL cholesterol after eating, whereas a refined-fat meal didn’t

That’s beneficial because oxidized LDL is prone to build up in your arteries, causing atherosclerosis (3Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 02:18 PM

Sorry to hear of your recent attack Baz, welcome to my world...
I hope you are rid of the pain soon....
Thanks for the link Baz, it's time to get serious, so I shall return to Tesco after lunch and purchase a carton of forsaid Cherry Juice, as well as the walnuts I forgot to get this morning.

Perhaps you might be interested in Walnuts, I take them every day on my porridge. I'll go find the link....

Enjoy....

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_1

Quote from the link....

A preliminary, small study in healthy adults showed that eating a walnut-rich meal prevented oxidative damage of “bad” LDL cholesterol after eating, whereas a refined-fat meal didn’t

That’s beneficial because oxidized LDL is prone to build up in your arteries, causing atherosclerosis (3Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).
Thanks for that link OGF, I didn't know about walnuts being a help so will check it out. I do recall that the couple of days before I had overlooked drinking my usual 1-1.5 litres of water. Maybe that could have been partly responsible for this latest attack? Hopefully though, for both of us, a return to painless walking (plus running in your case) will be the outcome. It certainly is extremely painful at first, in my case though it does ease throughout the day, with a lot of rest though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-02-2021, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for that link OGF, I didn't know about walnuts being a help so will check it out. I do recall that the couple of days before I had overlooked drinking my usual 1-1.5 litres of water. Maybe that could have been partly responsible for this latest attack? Hopefully though, for both of us, a return to painless walking (plus running in your case) will be the outcome. It certainly is extremely painful at first, in my case though it does ease throughout the day, with a lot of rest though.
Same here Baz, I wonder why it gets more painful at night. Perhaps the inactivity allows the crystals to accumulate.
I have noticed that gentle walking through the day does seem to loosen it up and make it less painful during the night.
That's why I thought it was time to start running again, but it was a mistake....
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 11:21 PM

Sorry PooBear, how insensitive of me....I've been so full of myself, it wasn't until I was laying in bed last night that I realised you had posted about the loss of your wife.
I'm so sorry for your loss PooBear, please accept my apologies and my commiserations....

Thank you - no need to apologise.
Baz46

21-02-2021, 11:57 AM

Same here Baz, I wonder why it gets more painful at night. Perhaps the inactivity allows the crystals to accumulate.
I have noticed that gentle walking through the day does seem to loosen it up and make it less painful during the night.
That's why I thought it was time to start running again, but it was a mistake....
Yes, it's all very strange isn't it. No idea about gentle walking, I am just about hopping around, the best it gets is walking very gingerly on the outside of that foot. Running, well not a lot of chance of that as right now I couldn't run to save my life!

Anyway OGF, take it easy and mind how you go with getting back to running – easy does it.

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top