Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

12-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Re: The elderly don't need handling with kid gloves!

In the future if the number of elderly people outstrips those who are younger and productive, when you are born you could be given your due death date!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I've said it before & I'll say it again

OLD AGE IS NO PLACE FOR SISSYS
I agree.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

12-11-2014, 02:49 PM

The elderly are no different to anyone else in that life can be good or bad at times for everyone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=comeandgo;559337]The elderly are no different to anyone else in that life can be good or bad at times for everyone.[/QUOTE]

That's true in a way, life does vary from good to bad at times, except perhaps younger people wouldn't normally have the same additional problems to help louse up the bad days that a lot of older folks have to contend with, i.e. arthritis, failing mobility, constant pain, failing memory, incontinence, loneliness, perhaps surviving on only their state pension, etc. These can add to some older people's despair.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 06:19 AM

some two months ago a young lass in a shop said to me at the checkout "would you like help packing your shopping into the bag,dear?"

im a 6ft2" scarfaced broken nosed 13st brickhouse,albeit grey here n there(where hair still sprouts anyway)

i left the shop unsure exactly which part of the conversation had had the most effect on me,was like being punched ,literally that shock of a blow.

horrible,disheartening and shocking all at the same time.

apparently im now 6ft2" "dear" who cant put things in a carrier bag succesfully.

my mojo left home that day and i havent seen it since.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 09:21 AM

So, what are you going to do about it?
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

13-11-2014, 09:42 AM

I like packing my own goods. But to be fair Tesco ask everyone, young and old if they want help with their packing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by greg ->
some two months ago a young lass in a shop said to me at the checkout "would you like help packing your shopping into the bag,dear?"

im a 6ft2" scarfaced broken nosed 13st brickhouse,albeit grey here n there(where hair still sprouts anyway)

i left the shop unsure exactly which part of the conversation had had the most effect on me,was like being punched ,literally that shock of a blow.

horrible,disheartening and shocking all at the same time.

apparently im now 6ft2" "dear" who cant put things in a carrier bag succesfully.

my mojo left home that day and i havent seen it since.
I notice M&S have now started asking if you need help packing your bags even if as in my case you have just three small items of shopping I left the shop wondering if the assistant thought I had lost my sight, my marbles or both
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Most supermarkets ask everyone old and young alike it's called customer service. I do like to pack my own bags but if you say yes you are helping employ another body in the shop I think. Our morrisons employs a couple of downs people who I am sure they wouldn't be employing other wise to do it, Waitrose has a lovely chap with learning difficulties doing it - I know his mum she says it has given him a lot of confidence and independence to have this little job.

I think we need to stop thinking what people might mean and look at a bigger picture here folks.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Nobody ever asks us whether we want help, they just do it for everyone regardless of age and they are doing a good job. I haven't heard of any complaints either.
I gather that the English are required to pack their own but will get help if the so require. How weird.

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top