Join for free
Page 11 of 37 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 10:54 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles part 2

Have you ever met actors who never quite made it to the top, the ones you see regularly in small film parts and in TV ads, they never give up do they, you’d think they would have got the message by now that the big time was not for them, I’m talking about the older ones, there is still time for the younger ones. There is a certain pub in town where these old chaps like to hang out and I’ve been there on many occasions in the past.
I remember with a smile when an actor once told a few of us in a pub that his body doesn’t really belong to him, I have to say this old Abbey thespian thought the sun shone out of his own backside and was a bit of a pain in the neck most of the time, anyway he went on, as they usually do, “Let me put it to you this way, Christ on the cross gave his body so all mankind could be redeemed from their sins did he not?, well I gave my body to the theatre for the pleasure of all mankind, so in reality you cannot own what you have already given away can you, so what you see standing before you good people is a man without a body” with that he laid his glass on the table and exited left door, gone in a flash.
Try to visualise him standing on the floor of a public house, glass of brandy in hand and cigar in the other, yellow scarf tucked inside the collar of his shocking pink shirt and with a voice like Sir John Gielgud, all this before lunch on a Sunday morning. Me and three other Joe Soaps sitting round a table looking at him while trying to keep straight faces at the same time, soon as he left the four of us were doubled up laughing, ah memories, Strange folk these theatre people.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:03 AM

the big stars are in the minority all the supporting 'stars' often last longer than the big ones. I watched a recent edition of Sherlock holmes in which the fat actor in Dr Martin who was plumber and restaurant owner played an American living in a large English mansion - his American accent was great - yes it's a living, a vocation. an addiction and it's what keeps the big stars going - I'm for little stars meself!! bob bum
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 04:31 AM

When I was a titch,I was living in a children's home in a village called East Farleigh,near Maidstone,Kent. Two people used to pop in regularly to keep us nippers smiling. One was Charlie Drake,the other was Mr Pastry. Only ancient old crumblies such as me will remember them,I imagine. But both were really nice,spent hours making us laugh,both were on tv,but neither was really a 'big' star of the Johnny Depp/Sean Connery type.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 07:30 AM

yes remember CD and what about eric sykes who also starred in films - he played a rather miserable ghost gardener in the film'the others' with of course the big star who's name escapes me but she was also the co-star in Australia.

then there were Morecambe and Wise, Harry Seacombe, the two ronnies etc etc - all making good entertainment that usually stayed in UK - one of ronnie barkers last film roles was in 'my housein Umbria' excellent performance with Maggie Smith - yes the big stars cannot exist without the small fry!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 09:59 AM

"Allo My Darlings".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
When I was a titch,I was living in a children's home in a village called East Farleigh,near Maidstone,Kent. Two people used to pop in regularly to keep us nippers smiling. One was Charlie Drake,the other was Mr Pastry. Only ancient old crumblies such as me will remember them,I imagine. But both were really nice,spent hours making us laugh,both were on tv,but neither was really a 'big' star of the Johnny Depp/Sean Connery type.
I used to love Charlie Drake Pug, especially that song of his 'My boomerang won't come back'. Mr. Pastry used to scare me a bit when I was a kid I don't know why really, could be his moustache reminded me of me nasty grandfather, who knows what goes through kids minds.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-01-2015, 07:06 PM

Maggie Smith is in great demand now Gumbud, and rightly so in my opinion, she's excellent, remember her when she was young in 'The Pride of Miss Jean Brodie'?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
"Allo My Darlings".
After the volcanic eruption and the town was unrecognisable, the Mayor of Pompeii decided to equally divide the area amongst the surviving people, was this known as the Magma Carta?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-01-2015, 07:35 PM

I often wonder what happened the next day after the big changes and events in our long history, also I would love to know the names of certain individuals who played vital parts in these events, for instance what was the name of the bricklayer who laid the very last brick in the great wall of China? What was the tune Nero was playing while Rome burned? What did Christopher Columbus do the next morning he woke up in the new world, well he couldn't text the wife could he? When Lots wife turned into a pillar of salt, did he flog her to the nearest chippy or take her away in a sack?
It's like when you read a great well written book and then you want to know all about the author, so many unanswered questions.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 01:53 AM

Well,one thing that puts the Chinese in their place,Jem,is the Great Wall.

It's a JOKE,mate. Miles-and-miles of wall....and not a single cashpoint!

Pah-they missed a trick there,squire!

[oh-and don't worry...Nanny McPhee would OWN Mary Poppins in a proper scrap]

Page 11 of 37 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top