Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

My Father would only bet on a Grey such as Nicolaus Silver so back in 63 when an hairdressing friend gave me a sure fire tip, Ayala owned by Raymond Besone 'Mr Teasy Weasy' I placed my one and only bet on his horse.

My Father simply said "No chance"

Ayala romped home and I won what was in those days a very large sum. A win for me meant a win and not a penny went back into racing as watching your horse race is tantamount to wishing a heart attack on yourself

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:31 PM

Heh Spits what about this for a new slant on a famous 1960's band done in a modern jazz idiom with a female singer??

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is there a thin line between feely tactile and feeling Gui?
Graphical User Interface" = GUI

PROGRESS HAS PASSED ME YEARS AGO
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Jem; Jem come in Jem - I thought you were staying up for the bloody race?? mon?
Sorry about that Gummy.
I tried me best to stay awake in the armchair but I nodded off at about 2am, the race was on at 4am our time and I snored all the way through the whole shebang.
I see a British horse won it, Cross Counter, well done! and well fancied it was too @7/1 it was trained by that great trainer Charlie Appleby, another British horse was second.
Sorry about putting you on the wrong track, but my excuse is I was only being patriotic backing an Irish runner, whereas had you been patriotic to the old sod you would have been away in a hack.
(from the old saying ‘Away in a Hackney’ meaning doing well for ones self) just in case that might not be an expression in your neck of the woods, tink yo.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Nice little video Solo.
The Phoenix Park racecourse was only a fifteen minute walk from our house and we were regular visitors there, my Uncle Davy my brother and me had many a good day there back in the 50's, it's a housing estate now.
The old white side rails at the race tracks used to be made of heavy wood and it caused a lot of bad accidents, even deaths, to both horse and jockey, if there's one thing I'm grateful for with plastic it's the plastic flexible rails of today.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 06:22 PM

The Tower poppies was a wonderful sight and now they are doing a very poignant 'Deepening Shadow' candle display to commemorate the centenary of the end of the first world war. Each night for eight nights between 5pm and 9pm the Tower moat will gradually be filled with thousands of individually lit flames.

The installation will begin with a procession led by the Yeoman Warders, who'll emerge from the Tower to ceremonially light the first flame. Volunteers will then light the rest of the installation over four hours, gradually creating a circle of light, radiating from the Tower.

The display will be accompanied by a specially commissioned sound installation. At the centre of this is a new choral work, with words from war poet Mary Borden's Sonnets to a Soldier.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-War-dead.html

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Looking back I see we have abbreviations.
These days there are so many.
PPI what would we make of that years back? Then we have PIN, I used them for sewing, or pins were legs.
Spitty will come charging in with his din sockets I know that
NOK we all have them.
I wonder Nokia is based on NoK?
Could be a NOK off?
Or even a NOK effect.
Do you know all the text abbreviations!
Or even the forum ones?
I bet Gummy has a few of his own.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 07:33 PM

I saw this in a shop in Lymington today.
Of course I thought of Gummy. X
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

06-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 08:12 PM

The Soldier
BY RUPERT BROOKE
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam;
A body of England’s, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top