Join for free
Page 12 of 19 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Re: Cesar Millan (split from Barbara Woodhouse thread )

My dog doesn't like squeaky toys; he gets bored with rope toys but he loves rubber balls and teething ring type toys. I look after him, groom him, clean his teeth with a brush and doggy toothpaste, cook chicken and red meat scraps from the local butcher. He loves me, but he won't walk with me as he prefers hubby to walk him. I think this is because when he was 8 months old I fell over hurting myself badly on the road running through the village. I let go of his lead and he ran off and I couldn't get up to get him back and there were cars dodging him. I was hysterical. Eventually he came back to me but I think he feels he can't trust me to take him out. Mind you, a female neighbour took him out once and he wouldn't walk with her either. She had to pick him up! He doesn't like dark coloured dogs because a grey lurcher rushed out at him and bit him on a walk with hubby in the dark when he was young. Our vet says things get imprinted on their memories.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Most dogs ( but not all ) will walk with anyone as a walk is not just exercise for a dog but a pleasure it's how he finds out what is going on in the world like reading the paper or listening to the news .
I think your dog is picking up on your own fears .
Your husband doesn't have these so the dog goes with him.
Your dog is fearful it likes the stronger presence of your husband .
It appears to have anxiety separation problems from him.
Again I wonder if it is picking up on your own anxieties and worries about him ?
No doubt your neighbour had picked up on these fears too and was subconsciously expecting him to stop.
Dogs are very intuitive and pick up on people's feelings and body language very easily
You love your dog but you make him feel worried when out.
These tramas are imprinted in your mind not his.
They are not so big that they would have imprinted on his mind to that extent I think your vet is talking for the sake of talking .
I had a dog that had been in the dog rescue for a year being well treated but would not walk / be caught / or basically anything it was so nervous
So of course no one wanted to adopt it.
I took it and made it walk with me and my other dogs who all were happy to see it I had to drag it the first day only and that for only a little way .
Thereafter it ran out with my 'pack' as keen as the others.
It had faced it's fears and only good happened .
The presence of my three amiable big dogs gave it confidence
Ditto being bathed and stroked .
After a few weeks it went back to the dog sanctuary a much happier dog easier and was adopted .
Each dog is different and one must adapt see what works for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
My dog doesn't like squeaky toys; he gets bored with rope toys but he loves rubber balls and teething ring type toys. I look after him, groom him, clean his teeth with a brush and doggy toothpaste, cook chicken and red meat scraps from the local butcher. He loves me, but he won't walk with me as he prefers hubby to walk him. I think this is because when he was 8 months old I fell over hurting myself badly on the road running through the village. I let go of his lead and he ran off and I couldn't get up to get him back and there were cars dodging him. I was hysterical. Eventually he came back to me but I think he feels he can't trust me to take him out. Mind you, a female neighbour took him out once and he wouldn't walk with her either. She had to pick him up! He doesn't like dark coloured dogs because a grey lurcher rushed out at him and bit him on a walk with hubby in the dark when he was young. Our vet says things get imprinted on their memories.
I sympathise very much with you, when our late Mollie was attacked it took ages for her to trust me to take her out again she was better with my husband but never really got over her fear. We had 11 years of happy walks just one attack caused her problem.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
... I wouldn't let that TV entertainer anywhere near any dog of mine...
I'm with you on this one, Meg. Did you see the episode where the dog bit him? His final analysis was the dog was “unfit for training” - a lost cause. So he coaxed the family into parting with the dog. He took it with him. Let's see. He failed. But rather than admit it ……… or far, far worse take the risk that someone else might succeed ……..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I sympathise very much with you, when our late Mollie was attacked it took ages for her to trust me to take her out again she was better with my husband but never really got over her fear. We had 11 years of happy walks just one attack caused her problem.
Again I think because she has picked up on your own fears .
I am always prepared to protect my dogs .
Obviously if they are large they do it themselves but with a small dog you have to keep it out of dangerous situations.
If I know I am likely to meet aggressive dogs I carry a stick and always try and present a calm but strong presence .
I get annoyed with people who fail to control their aggressive dog it's just so unfair on other people .
Such dogs should not be allowed off the lead in public .
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You your house and all its inhabitants will have a similar smell, a smell that will identify it to your dog ..
The smell you speak of is only ”territorial”- like pee on a stone. Sharing the odour of your house doesn't make you “a house”. Dogs aren't quite that stupid.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
I'm with you on this one, Meg. Did you see the episode where the dog bit him? His final analysis was the dog was “unfit for training” - a lost cause. So he coaxed the family into parting with the dog. He took it with him. Let's see. He failed. But rather than admit it ……… or far, far worse take the risk that someone else might succeed ……..
There have been a number AO including one posted in this thread post 72 ..http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...150#post789150
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-01-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There have been a number AO including one posted in this thread post 72 ..http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...150#post789150
Good Lord! Thanks for that link, Meg,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
Hi Cg I agree with your vet , it is what I call memory associated experiences and I described one in detail in an earlier post number 89.

I appreciate your difficulty with food.
There are some things you can try which may help your situation, you want to aim to get your dog to learn to associate you/the lead with a pleasant experience .
When he has his meal, put on his lead, put the food down where he can see it and walk him to it giving lots of praise and saying 'good walking' in a happy voice a phrase you can use in the future to reinforce the same a wanted behavior .
Increase the distance or get someone to walk in front of you with the food again remember to say 'good walking'.
Put your dog on the lead when you play with him at home with his favourite toys sometimes picking up the lead and letting it go again.
If all goes well progress to putting him on a 6ft training lead in somewhere like a park and play ball again associating a lead with a pleasant experience and reinforcing the wanted behaviour.

Next carry /drive your dog a short way from home and see if he will walk back remember 'good walking ' if he moves.
I would not try to force him at any time, never be hesitant either always bright and matter of fact.
It will requiring time/patience/consistency to have any effect at all but it may help your little dog

If our dog is insured you may qualify on your insurance for treatment following a referral by your vet to someone like this who will work with you ..
http://www.apbc.org.uk/

Good luck
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2016, 03:27 PM

Meg the dog knows how to walk
He just doesn't want to walk with CG.
I have never had to bribe a dog with food to go for a walk .
This is a well fed dog with an owner who cares for him .
He is clearly calling the shots here .

Page 12 of 19 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top