Join for free
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 11:47 PM

Re: Scotland and the EU

One says it all

Prat! And I’m Scottish!
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Still, it is nice to have a few clowns in the Commons for their entertainment value, especially now that Dianne Abbott seems to have disappeared.
Excuse me, but there is nothing wrong with Dianne's Eleventy Thrifty Two School of Economics.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Lots of angry folks here.
That's what you get when you keep poking the bear.
Oh and it's not anger.
Just because you say it is does not make it so.
It's a mixture of disbelief, humour and sadness.

The right of self determination is outlined by the UN.
Then why are you ignoring the vote you had which very clearly said that Scots want to remain part of the union?
When you've considered that you might like to tell Catalonians in the EU (the place some of you denialists want to rejoin) that they have a right which the Spanish and therefore the EU are denying; us Scots had an opportunity to vote and within the last decade too.

It’s normal folks.
No.
Nothing about the SNP's behaviour is normal.

Screeching "undemocratic" and trying to seize the mace in the HoC isn't normal and it certainly does not equate to being democratic either.
Yet some deluded Scots will keep on choosing these sorry individuals to represent them.
Blackford is another excellent example.

Fortunately for the more sensible Scots (still the majority, praise be) such actions go a long way towards convincing others that an SNP vote won't be coming from them.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:58 PM

The Scottish Governments objection to the Internal Market Bill is that it is contrary to the constitutional*convention that the Westminster Government does not legislate in devolved areas without the consent of the Scottish Parliament. The SG does not consent, yet it will go ahead none the less,
demonstrating, yet again, that the UK Government does not believe the UK to be a partnership of equals. What is democratic about the consequence that
democratic decisions of the Scottish Parliament on public health, environmental standards, food standards and a range of other key areas can be over-ridden.We're not stupid (there's an opening for you), we recognise a power grab when we see one.
I can't condone what Drew Hendry did but it seems to be a way to get noticed in the Westminster set up. Its not the first time an MP has grabbed the mace, I'm old enough to remember Michael Heseltine waving it above his head. I wouldn't worry too much, Scottish concerns will be ignored as usual.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 01:37 PM

The Scottish Governments objection to the Internal Market Bill is that it is contrary to the constitutional*convention that the Westminster Government does not legislate in devolved areas without the consent of the Scottish Parliament. The SG does not consent, yet it will go ahead none the less,
demonstrating, yet again, that the UK Government does not believe the UK to be a partnership of equals. What is democratic about the consequence that
democratic decisions of the Scottish Parliament on public health, environmental standards, food standards and a range of other key areas can be over-ridden.We're not stupid (there's an opening for you), we recognise a power grab when we see one.
I can't condone what Drew Hendry did but it seems to be a way to get noticed in the Westminster set up. Its not the first time an MP has grabbed the mace, I'm old enough to remember Michael Heseltine waving it above his head. I wouldn't worry too much, Scottish concerns will be ignored as usual.

If Scotland didn't sign up to it then you would be outside of the UK single market and you would be subject to tarrifs.

As usual the SNP don't use their brains.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If Scotland didn't sign up to it then you would be outside of the UK single market and you would be subject to tarrifs.

As usual the SNP don't use their brains.
I think you've missed the point. It' not just the SNP, none of the devolved Governments agreed to this particular Bill.
Of course somes sort of agreement is needed post Brexit but it is some of the provisions contained in this particular bill that are unacceptable. This from "The Holyrood":-
"Devolved governments do agree to the basic principle that there needs to be common frameworks across the nation. After all, around 60 per cent of Scotland’s trade is with the rest of the UK.
But two terms have the Scottish Government very worried: mutual recognition and non-discrimination.*
The gist of these technical terms is that UK ministers will have the power to enforce regulatory alignment on all sorts of matters across the UK without the need to consult devolved parliaments.*
This is why the Scottish Government has termed the bill “a power grab” and claimed that it could lead to a “downward spiral” on food and agricultural standards as the UK does deals that could allow countries with lower standards to sell products into the UK.
There was already fears of 'hormone beef' and 'chlorine chicken' entering the UK market, which has lead campaigners to demand safeguards on standards be put in the UK's new Agriculture Bill. Opponents of the UK Internal Market Bill say it will be the mechanism by which devolved nations will be forced to accept such products.
On top of that, constitution secretary Michael Russell warned that the bill*could even lead to Scottish Government policies being challenged in court by private companies if they appear anti-competitive."
This from the Constitutional Committee of that bastion of democracy, The House of Lords:-
""We agree that the delegated powers in the United Kingdom Internal market Bill are 'extraordinary" and "unprecedented", and many of them are constitutionally unacceptable
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 04:15 PM

Aren't we forgetting that the UK is a sovereign nation?
One monarch and a single government.
These silly devolved 'governments' are nothing much more than local councils.

I wonder what would happen if the Yorkshire Nationalists demanded devolution as well? Is there some reason why they shouldn't? Scotland claims to be a separate country, but Wales isn't. It's a principality, yet it, too, managed to achieve devolution.

Whose bright idea was devolution anyway? Oh yes, him!

Now we have a far more effective - and pro-British - PM, perhaps it will be belatedly realised that devolution wasn't such a good idea after all.

After all, Scottish devolution doesn't seem to be making much of a success of it, does it? Debt is rising, even with the rest of the UK heavily subsidising it. Stop this devolution nonsense now before the Fish Woman completely ruins Scotland.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 04:40 PM

I think you've missed the point. It' not just the SNP, none of the devolved Governments agreed to this particular Bill.
Of course somes sort of agreement is needed post Brexit but it is some of the provisions contained in this particular bill that are unacceptable. This from "The Holyrood":-
"Devolved governments do agree to the basic principle that there needs to be common frameworks across the nation. After all, around 60 per cent of Scotland’s trade is with the rest of the UK.
But two terms have the Scottish Government very worried: mutual recognition and non-discrimination.*
The gist of these technical terms is that UK ministers will have the power to enforce regulatory alignment on all sorts of matters across the UK without the need to consult devolved parliaments.*
This is why the Scottish Government has termed the bill “a power grab” and claimed that it could lead to a “downward spiral” on food and agricultural standards as the UK does deals that could allow countries with lower standards to sell products into the UK.
There was already fears of 'hormone beef' and 'chlorine chicken' entering the UK market, which has lead campaigners to demand safeguards on standards be put in the UK's new Agriculture Bill. Opponents of the UK Internal Market Bill say it will be the mechanism by which devolved nations will be forced to accept such products.
On top of that, constitution secretary Michael Russell warned that the bill*could even lead to Scottish Government policies being challenged in court by private companies if they appear anti-competitive."
This from the Constitutional Committee of that bastion of democracy, The House of Lords:-
""We agree that the delegated powers in the United Kingdom Internal market Bill are 'extraordinary" and "unprecedented", and many of them are constitutionally unacceptable
The devolved governments have no idea about trade or anything else. All they are doing is getting their leaders to do everything different to the UK government to fool their people by giving the impression they are in charge and know what they are doing.

You should read the articles I've put up on here by Catherine McBride regarding chlorinated chicken and beef thats treated with hormones.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 05:37 PM

I see the SNP and their cronies are unhappy about the Internal Markets Bill which has BTW been passed through Lords too, despite the SCOTTISH judge Lord Hope of Craighead being the one responsible for having "used his skill and experience in drafting and interpreting the law to pick away at the issues and come up with a solution".
https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news-and-...r-concessions/

Does this mean that it is the SNP and the Welsh who now want changes which could impact the GFA?
I'd like to see any lawyer prepared to be responsible for that.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I see the SNP and their cronies are unhappy about the Internal Markets Bill which has BTW been passed through Lords too, despite the SCOTTISH judge Lord Hope of Craighead being the one responsible for having "used his skill and experience in drafting and interpreting the law to pick away at the issues and come up with a solution".
https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news-and-...r-concessions/

Does this mean that it is the SNP and the Welsh who now want changes which could impact the GFA?
I'd like to see any lawyer prepared to be responsible for that.
The SNP only care about independence from England. Nothing else

Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top