Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Re: Should voting be compulsory?

Nice try Dave, but not working.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 02:18 AM

So-called 'compulsory voting' in Aus is really a misnomer.
You cannot compel someone to vote.
But people are expected to register on the Electoral Roll and they are 'ticked off' as they turn up to a voting booth.
That is all they need do - appear.

They can plonk a blank paper in the ballot box or write "Mickey Mouse" on the form if they wish.
Having scrutineered many times, I assure you that many of the comments are far more lurid.

State and Federal elections are monitored and people are fined for not turning up (fairly minor amounts).
But Local Government elections (Councils) are a joke.
Each new council decides at its first meeting whether to prosecute non-voters.
They never, EVER do .... in the belief that if you fine a bloke this time, there is no way he is going to vote for you next time around !

I have not studied the stats but yanks have told me that, in national elections, if you tally up the non-voters in Aus AND those who vote "informal',
the actual valid vote percentage is not much different to places where voting is not "compulsory".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
So-called 'compulsory voting' in Aus is really a misnomer.
You cannot compel someone to vote.
But people are expected to register on the Electoral Roll and they are 'ticked off' as they turn up to a voting booth.
That is all they need do - appear.
You should read earlier posts first, this has already been covered

I have not studied the stats but yanks have told me that, in national elections, if you tally up the non-voters in Aus AND those who vote "informal',
the actual valid vote percentage is not much different to places where voting is not "compulsory".
Sorry but this is absolute drivel, the facts are vastly different. Informal voting is approximately 3 to 6%, so over 90% of the enrolled population makes a proper vote. Compare that to less than 65% of the enrolled voters that bothered to turn out in the last UK election.

Instead of making uninformed comments why not find out first instead of recycling idle gossip?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:09 AM

State and Federal elections are monitored and people are fined for not turning up (fairly minor amounts).
But Local Government elections (Councils) are a joke.
Each new council decides at its first meeting whether to prosecute non-voters.
This is one of the things that I really dislike about the world - they have the choice of using the carrot or the stick and they always choose the stick. Why not, instead, look at why there is political apathy in the first place? One possible reason is that to investigate political apathy, they may just learn it is they who are the problem and not so much the voting public.

It's always easier to blame someone else.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-05-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
This is one of the things that I really dislike about the world - they have the choice of using the carrot or the stick and they always choose the stick. Why not, instead, look at why their is political apathy in the first place? One possible reason is that to investigate political apathy, they may just learn it is they who are the problem and not so much the voting public.

It's always easier to blame someone else.
Isle of Man voting infor says: Failure to register will result in the loss of voting rights in all national or local elections and any referendum that may be called during the period the Register is in force.Is is important that the forms are completed and returned to ensure your eligibility to vote in any forthcoming local Elections.
is this an example of the carrot or the stick or maybe an option three ways?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
is this an example of the carrot or the stick or maybe an option three ways?
That's the beauty of Island life mindbender - we have more than just two options

One small point: would you remove the quote of my post from yours as I noticed a tiny little spelling error
mindbender
mindbender is male 

30-05-2013, 09:46 AM

That's the beauty of Island life mindbender - we have more than just two options

One small point: would you remove the quote of my post from yours as I noticed a tiny little spelling error
nope sorry there for ever!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

30-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You should read earlier posts first, this has already been covered

Sorry but this is absolute drivel, the facts are vastly different. Informal voting is approximately 3 to 6%, so over 90% of the enrolled population makes a proper vote. Compare that to less than 65% of the enrolled voters that bothered to turn out in the last UK election.

Instead of making uninformed comments why not find out first instead of recycling idle gossip?
steady on brucie old cobber eze one of uz - ere have a beer mate and relax a bit!

ps: ya didn't mistake him for a Manx did ya blue?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 09:56 AM

nope sorry there for ever!
I see that being generous and compassionate to an old lady is not one of your qualities then

steady on brucie old cobber eze one of uz - ere have a beer mate and relax a bit!

ps: ya didn't mistake him for a Manx did ya blue?
Err - what's that supposed to mean
mindbender
mindbender is male 

30-05-2013, 10:02 AM

I see that being generous and compassionate to an old lady is not one of your qualities then

Err - what's that supposed to mean
oh NO OMG - not another one - don't worry BV - IT'S MENS TALK!

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top