Join for free
Page 12 of 19 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 11:10 PM

Re: Astra zeneca and EU ??

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
With all due respect to you OGF, heart attacks can be caused by reasons other than blood clots. This is what the Mayo Clinic's website has to say:

A heart attack occurs when the flow of blood to the heart is blocked. The blockage is most often a build-up of fat, cholesterol and other substances, which form a plaque in the arteries that feed the heart (coronary arteries).

Sometimes, a plaque can rupture and form a clot that blocks blood flow. The interrupted blood flow can damage or destroy part of the heart muscle.

Link -> https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373106
Thanks for that Percy, all I know is...It's not nice.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. In fact, it's frightening when you think of how many things can go wrong with the human body. Unfortunately, not all of them can be cured either, even with today's advances in medicine.

I'm glad I gave up smoking, but I know I should exercise more.
My heart attack occurred in my early fifties JB, and the general consensus among the physicians treating me during my five day stay in hospital was.....Had I not been a runner for most of my adult life, I would be dead.....You could say that exercise saved my life....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My heart attack occurred in my early fifties JB, and the general consensus among the physicians treating me during my five day stay in hospital was.....Had I not been a runner for most of my adult life, I would be dead.....You could say that exercise saved my life....
Well I'm a lazy bugger, and that has probably sealed my fate!

Actually, not entirely lazy. I'm no runner, but Marge and I go on walks now and again with a couple of friends. I'm fairly happy doing 3 or 4 miles.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-03-2021, 12:06 PM

With all due respect to you OGF, heart attacks can be caused by reasons other than blood clots. This is what the Mayo Clinic's website has to say:

A heart attack occurs when the flow of blood to the heart is blocked. The blockage is most often a build-up of fat, cholesterol and other substances, which form a plaque in the arteries that feed the heart (coronary arteries).

Sometimes, a plaque can rupture and form a clot that blocks blood flow. The interrupted blood flow can damage or destroy part of the heart muscle.

Link -> https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373106
I must apologise for my response Percy, but it was late when I read your post, and time and tiredness prevented me from offering a suitable reply.....

The plaques that collect on the walls of arteries provide the right conditions to precipitate a heart attack (myocardial infarction) but it's a blood clot that ultimately causes the blockage. The description you and the Mayo clinic have provided is only a very brief chapter in a very long book.....And as with most news items and google information, it's the things that are left out that are most important......

It's going off subject, but I felt you deserved an appropriate reply Percy...
Cholesterol is good! but it's been called out as the bad boy for obvious reasons. LDL and Triglycerides are sticky substances that adhere to artery walls restricting the flow of blood through the artery. They are not directly responsible for a heart attack, the plaques are more associated with 'Angina' which reduces the efficiency of the heart to deliver oxygen to the muscles and makes it very difficult to run, climb stairs, or other strenuous exercise.....But they don't block the artery completely, they cause inflammation in the artery wall, which cracks and bleeds. When the blood causing the bleed clots, it then blocks the restricted artery and this is a heart attack.
The first thing the paramedics will do upon their arrival on the scene will be to administer two large doses of aspirin to thin the blood and dissolve the blockage. Aspirin would be no use if the blockage was caused by plaque. The second thing they do is to administer adrenalin to dilate the arteries.

Cholesterol is used by the body to repair damage to the muscles following strenuous exercise, it also has numerous other jobs to attend to, including some jobs concerning the immune system....But I digress....High cholesterol is not the problem. Too much LDL and not enough HDL is the problem. The HDL wraps itself around molecules of LDL and prevents it from being sticky and adhering to artery walls. So the overall readings obtained from a cholesterol test are meaningless without a breakdown of LDL, HDL and other lipids, namely triglycerides.
A high reading of HDL would be very good, but would push up the overall reading above what is considered a safe level.....

There are other causes of heart attacks, stress, bad diet, high blood pressure and some bacterial infections can cause the arteries to be inflamed, which ultimately leads to cracking and bleeding from the artery wall, hence a heart attack. One of the most important things to do post heart attack, is to keep blood pressure down and reduce the amount of platelets in the blood to prevent further clotting. This can be done by taking a low dose aspirin daily (as I do) or warfarin to thin the blood, but more modern anticoagulants are now available. Statins will lower all cholesterol, good and bad, and can cause muscle damage and joint pain, and as a runner I refuse to take statins, but it is a personal thing and should be based on individual circumstances, and most certainly after a doctors advice. This is also one of the reasons I have declined the vaccine.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well I'm a lazy bugger, and that has probably sealed my fate!

Actually, not entirely lazy. I'm no runner, but Marge and I go on walks now and again with a couple of friends. I'm fairly happy doing 3 or 4 miles.
That's good enough JB, any exercise is good exercise.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Thanks for taking the time to provide an extensive reply OGF

Regarding the AZ vaccine causing death by blood clots:

While waiting for Val to return to the car this morning I was listening to LBC radio. This geezer from the ONS (don't know who) was saying that there have been 5 (yes, just five) reported cases of blood clots resulting from over 26 million doses of AZ vaccine given in the UK. Of these 5 cases, 4 of the people concerned went on to make a full recovery. Only ONE person is known to have died due to the vaccine causing a blood clot.

Given these statistics, the probability of getting a blood clot is 0.00000019 and for dying from the same it is 0.00000004, i.e. vanishingly small.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-03-2021, 09:42 PM

Thanks for taking the time to provide an extensive reply OGF

Regarding the AZ vaccine causing death by blood clots:

While waiting for Val to return to the car this morning I was listening to LBC radio. This geezer from the ONS (don't know who) was saying that there have been 5 (yes, just five) reported cases of blood clots resulting from over 26 million doses of AZ vaccine given in the UK. Of these 5 cases, 4 of the people concerned went on to make a full recovery. Only ONE person is known to have died due to the vaccine causing a blood clot.

Given these statistics, the probability of getting a blood clot is 0.00000019 and for dying from the same it is 0.00000004, i.e. vanishingly small.

No problem Percy....
I had decided not to have the vaccine before it came to light about the blood clots.....
I consider the possibility of catching covid the same odds as you described above Percy, including the odds concerning death from covid....Of course, if everyone is right about the vaccine and I catch covid and die, at least you won't be able to say "I told you so!".....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 01:29 PM

It seems that the Oxford jab is still being investigated in EU and
also in USA, despite having passed all scientific tests previously
on both continents??
What could be the reason for this?
Could the fact that it is much cheaper than the alternatives have
anything to do with it?
It is cheaper due to AZ's policy to supply the jabs on a costs only
basis in order to make it affordable to poorer nations, one can
only surmise this does not sit well with so called BIG PHARMA !!

Just asking??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 01:57 PM

In Germany the AZ vaccine is being inoculated again after a short break. Nothing to do with costs, though. Just saying.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
In Germany the AZ vaccine is being inoculated again after a short break. Nothing to do with costs, though. Just saying.
Ta Dachs, though I suppose like many others I can't help but wonder how many will refuse it after recent events.

Page 12 of 19 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top