Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 10:03 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Funny how Boys have always loved scaring the hell out of the Girls isn’t it, although there were some Girls who scared the hell out of me I can tell ya , but I’ll save that for another day.
When my Son was about 8 he brought in a dead field mouse from the garden, he held it up by it’s tail and started chasing his Sister all around the house with it, frightening the life out of her. Later that night I scribbled this and let him read it, he never brought in another dead mouse, would you believe he’s in his 50’s now and still remembers it word for word.

Mister Cronkill knew not his fate
The day a dead mouse he ate
An out-of-work Ironmonger
He did it to stave off his hunger.

He breathed deeply and lay back in his chair
Then picked from his mouth the very last hair
His eyes got heavy and sleep was his intent
And into slumberland he made his descent.

His mind was at rest in a sleepy wonderland
When he felt a sharp scratching upon his hand
An enormous mouse stared up to greet
“Now Mister Cronkill, I thee will eat”

I had actually known a Peter Cronkill at that time, sadly he died in his thirties. I thought it a very unusual name, he lived in a tiny tenement room in town and used to work at a wrought iron foundry making gates, fences, and ornamental surrounds for graves. the place closed down and he never worked again, soon after that his wife left him, ran off with an Argentine sailor who had jumped ship in Dublin Port, she was never heard of again. Peter took to the drink heavily and every penny he got went on it. Food was never a priority with him and I remember him telling us in the pub one day that he would make up a big pot of stew on a Monday and it would last him for the whole week reheating it every day, poor fella, I believe he was under 6 stone weight when he died, God rest his soul.
At this time of year I always think of the poor unfortunates who live in dirty damp hovels or on the streets, it’s easy for some to say it’s their own fault but behind each face there’s always a deep sad story as to how they ended up as they are, besides it’s not for us to judge them.
oh wot a lovely xmas story Jem - thank you very very much - I was just coming out of a deep depression and now have slipped back in!

my parcel arrived yesterday - things I'd loaned 'the lad' and he finally returned - paul theroux - the happy isles of oceania - paddling the pacific - a fantastic boys own adventure - I look forward to a second read. do you all remember the 'yam' festival frenzy he was involved in?

and my box dvd set of "corner gas" a romp through canadian comedy - very amusing and relaxing! - my xmas is sorted now. oh and a very big romeo and juliet. cuban lady for my lips. the bourbon was purchased yesterday in multiple supplies and that's it feck the rest!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 10:21 PM

Answers, we think we are entitled to them, but, do we really want or need them.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:39 PM

peaceful meditation? - I've got bags of it!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Oh Gummy at least you have Bourbon. X
I am just putting plans together for Christmas. Glad to be home, I don't think we are flitting off anywhere???
I suppose the round of visitors starts soon.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 12:20 AM

I found more bears in Harrod's.
I will post them on my London thread.
Good Night Possums. X
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 08:37 AM

London. Harrods, what about Austerity? is that applicable to Austria???
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

19-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
London. Harrods, what about Austerity? is that applicable to Austria???
Austerity what is that?
Morning has broken.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-12-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Austerity what is that?
Morning has broken.

It is similar to when a poor person gets a cold, and cannot afford linctus, ultimately they unnecessarily lose their voice, that is Hoarse-sterity.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

19-12-2018, 12:47 PM

It is similar to when a poor person gets a cold, and cannot afford linctus, ultimately they unnecessarily lose their voice, that is Hoarse-sterity.
So glad you explained Spitty.

Oh the day is getting nearer, whatever shall I do?
I have so much to do still, it's alright for guys like you
I have to do the shopping, and cooking, yes I do
I rush around like Tinkerbell, I need to clean the loo
I really try to delegate and get my guys involved
But they are turning deaf ears, they will not be controlled
A woman's work is never done, I guess that must be true
I wonder if you have easy lives, I haven't got a clue
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Answers, we think we are entitled to them, but, do we really want or need them.
I don't think we do Spitty, there's a lot of truth in that saying 'Ignorance is bliss' what you don't know about you don't worry about do you?
It seems to me the more answers we get the more destructive and threatening we become, the nuclear threat for example, and big powerful men saying “I gotta bigger button that you have” and we all thought John Wayne was dead, Christ what hope is there for us with public statements like that from a grown man, God help us is all I can say.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top