Join for free
Page 126 of 1676 « First < 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 226 626 1126 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Keep seeing that Tutankhamun programme advertised, is it true Tutankhamun died from Cancer, of the sarcophagus.
Not true Spitty, he developed a gammy leg after a chariot accident, one of his legs was shorter than the other and surgeons using the latest technology of the day, i.e. a millstone, tried to grind the long leg down to match the short one, the result was grit got into his bloodstream and he died of high cholesterol and he had to be buried in a stone coffin.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2016, 10:57 PM

Pug, piccie has come through at last.
Is that a lion behind you looking at you with pride?

Spittie, very clever.
My internet name was originally Tutankhamun, odd that innit? I'd get comments like
"Could you move your sarcophagus, its blocking the road"
from a chap in Tooting Common (I think that was a fib).

Jem, you are at the apogee of your literary talents. I look forward to your inspired tomes as much as I did Alistaire Cooke & his LETTER from AMERICA every Sunday at 9 AM.

Gumbud,You are also a gifted wordsmith, posing as an angry young man (John Braine) with ROOM at the TOP,
All in the best possible taste. Basingstoke tsk, you wouldn't recognise it now, nor Southampton. Winchester is as posh as always.
Do you remember the Bargate?

Sorry if I omitted anyone from my notes.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 12:56 AM

Do you remember the Bargate?
give me a clue - I am nearly an OHP!

we ex-pats in OZ and elsewhere of course look at our poor old mother country with dismay - the social mores are of course quite different now - I think that these sites just keep us in a utopic land of 'once upon a time'.

but I have always quoted to our distant cousins go and live on the coast towns of England and the far off distant places like Devon or Cornwall or the hinterlands of Wales, Scotland and Ireland and it is if nothing has changed apart from the value of the pound!

I penned this some time ago - you may find it on gumbuds Poems 303 but to save you the trouble here it is again!

It’s not there anymore?
the town of my childhood
is no longer there
oh the name's still the same
but the familiar is rare

the village of youth
is still on the map
but it's warmth and it's kindness
has drained like the sap

the town of my manhood
has transformed itself
no longer slow hamlet
now bursting with stealth

the city I passed through
and spent just a while
has now become wilder
and oozing with bile

the southern most city
I eventually called home
has changed from meandering
built mormons of stone

so I moved even further
close to nature and bush
but that relentless machine
pours out concrete like dust

we think we grown smarter
techno freaks in our boxes
the odd drive to the country
then steal back 'city foxes'

we've lost that connection
with calm and no bluster
with natures reflections
our worlds now lack lustre
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Yes....that poem actually gives sanctification to a conclusion I arrived at,having pondered the ridiculously painful and unnecessarily complex ritual required,for birth to take place in 'normal' procedure. [ie,non cesarian]
Would not a 'merciful' God,one who is acclaimed and revered by many because he doth be both merciful and wise,have seen the sense in making conception difficult,but giving birth a simple,painless occurrence?
Doesn't it make sense to even the least able thinker,that a gradual population growth,one that can retain healthy stance,plus decent acquirement of intelligence and abilities concurrent with the situational requirements and needs of that population,be a better bet than just,in such a short time,exploding in excess of 8 billion people,all requiring homes,ergo,curtailing their ability to grow crops and in exchange,creating 'New-Build' estates consisting of vastly overpriced homes,congested roads,failing sewage-systems and 'modern' railways,costing millions to maintain and run, that are unable to match the time-table exactitude of steam-trains? Imagine,if there were FIVE billion humans on this Earth,rather than EIGHT billion,how many more fields there would be,how much-and-how-many 'natural resources' we'd still have. BUT-because conception is so easy and delivery so difficult,the whole place has gone tits-up. #sigh# We should have been wisely & mercifully granted time,to prepare,for such a large and constantly increasing population,by the 'sage and merciful' being.
"I remember when it were all fields around here".
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Yes....that poem actually gives sanctification to a conclusion I arrived at,having pondered the ridiculously painful and unnecessarily complex ritual required,for birth to take place in 'normal' procedure. [ie,non cesarian]
Would not a 'merciful' God,one who is acclaimed and revered by many because he doth be both merciful and wise,have seen the sense in making conception difficult,but giving birth a simple,painless occurrence?
Doesn't it make sense to even the least able thinker,that a gradual population growth,one that can retain healthy stance,plus decent acquirement of intelligence and abilities concurrent with the situational requirements and needs of that population,be a better bet than just,in such a short time,exploding in excess of 8 billion people,all requiring homes,ergo,curtailing their ability to grow crops and in exchange,creating 'New-Build' estates consisting of vastly overpriced homes,congested roads,failing sewage-systems and 'modern' railways,costing millions to maintain and run, that are unable to match the time-table exactitude of steam-trains? Imagine,if there were FIVE billion humans on this Earth,rather than EIGHT billion,how many more fields there would be,how much-and-how-many 'natural resources' we'd still have. BUT-because conception is so easy and delivery so difficult,the whole place has gone tits-up. #sigh# We should have been wisely & mercifully granted time,to prepare,for such a large and constantly increasing population,by the 'sage and merciful' being.

I couldn't have said it better than our Pug.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I think the Jews would disagree with your interpretations their puggy old fellow - there are plenty of God blamers on this planet but very few who can follow sensible rules of healthy living - I always did favor the 'natural rhythm' method of birth control instead of fiddly transplants or letters from francois!

remember God started us off with two he didn't expect us to breed like feckin rabbits!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Love the poem Gumbud.

People will get used to living anywhere in time Pug, judging by the way this generation lets the powers that be push them around and take their rights away in front of their eyes, and not bother to fight back, that would never happen in the 60’s, future generations won’t even know what a green field was just like we wouldn’t know what it was like to chase a dinosaur around with a club, very adjustable species are we, especially when they have us all scared to death. Who knows maybe the planners of the future will come up with living quarters for the masses, copying the Beehive or Ant model, pack em and stack em in a huge honeycomb and only take them out for work every day.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2016, 10:05 PM

Just watched an interesting programme about Tomato Sauce, it was on Ketchup TV.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

06-11-2016, 11:20 PM

Was it in HD or HP?

More Black Hole stuff.
I watched a program on BBC4 a while ago entitled “Who’s afraid of a big black hole?” Great the way they can make a program about something nobody can see, never has seen, and cannot be seen, that takes real skill and full marks to the BBC, reminds me of the old story about the silent pianist on stage, or the emperors new clothes. Then out comes this beauty from an expert who’s devoting his entire life to the study of black holes, he shows two photos of a galaxy taken eight years apart, he shows photo no.1 of an enlarged bright star, then the next photo and the star is not there, nothing is in it’s place, that he says is a black hole. He goes on to say that the fact you can’t see the black hole is the good thing about it, if you saw anything then it would not be a black hole, get it? He reckons when we learn more about black holes we will discover how the universe began, great, but I thought they had already figured that one out when they said it all started with a big bang, they even gave a date, in fact I have often heard them say “Exactly point .000 of a second after the big bang…blah blah blah” of course if you asked them what caused the big bang or where all the stuff came from that went bang they pretend not to hear you, now I ask you who’s having who on here?, Christ we’d believe anything wouldn't we, well I won’t, I’m not swallowing all this big bangs and black holes shit.

I reckon it won’t be long until you see someone out to make a name for himself announce they have discovered blue holes that can only NOT be seen in blue skies on a clear day, red holes that are only visible from Mars, and green holes only seen by little green men.
I think they’ve all had their collective heads stuck up black holes for too long, time to get back to earth and tell themselves that there are things we were never geared to understand, as was correctly stated by one honest expert “Nature is smarter than we are” even if he said it reluctantly, Wow! imagine that now, nature is actually smarter than a bunch of overgrown schoolboys.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

07-11-2016, 05:39 AM

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Page 126 of 1676 « First < 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 176 226 626 1126 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top