Join for free
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:36 AM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

I agree OGF, but it was all started by folk saying rules were broken, there weren't any rules, apart from the one saying it must be your own work.
Do we satisfy those who complained or those who just want to carry on as before?
Anyway, it's not really up to us, thank heavens.
I can't even remember who started it all. I just wish it would get back to being a bit of fun, if it continues.
Another forum has a monthly theme which doesn't involve competition, it seems a good idea.
Folk just post whatever photos they have that suits.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Slightly off topic but whenever I print a photograph taken on a digital camera, I normally have to enhance it because it doesn't print as well as the image on my laptop despite having a decent six colour printer.
There seems to be quite a few variables when it comes to printing photos. We don't do much printing but I notice how much the type of paper used can make a difference. We once got one batch of paper where the ink never really got into it and so never dried. It even smudged the next day.

Also, I've sometimes found that photos printed at standard quality can look better than when printed at best quality. There seems no rhyme nor reason to it sometimes. The trouble is that an awful lot of ink can be used in finding out how to get optimal prints.

I see some people reckon using a supermarket printing machine is as good as using your own printer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Well I've never entered or voted in the competition, but I'm going to make the effort to contribute in the future....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Another forum has a monthly theme which doesn't involve competition, it seems a good idea.
Folk just post whatever photos they have that suits.
I know a forum like that. There is still a limit on the number of photos that a member can post in the monthly theme but yes, it does provide interest without it being a competition.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:06 AM

I think we should also remember that real photography ended upon the inception and acceptance of digital cameras, by us amateurs, that do all the work for us ... exposure, shutter speed etc.
What we get now are digitally created images and not real photographs.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-10-2016, 11:21 AM

I used to go to photography classes. I had my own enlarger, all the tanks, trays, fluids etc. Nothing like being under the bedclothes (to keep it dark), taking the film out of the camera and winding it on the developing tank spiral. A really hot and stuffy job if you couldn't get the film to start loading onto it fairly quickly.

I got a film loading bag in the end but that part was still always a trial.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I used to go to photography classes. I had my own enlarger, all the tanks,trays, fluids etc. Nothing like being under the bedclothes (to keep it dark), taking the film out of the camera and winding it on the developing tank spiral. A really hot and stuffy job if you couldn't get the film to start loading onto it fairly quickly.

I got a film loading bag in the end but that part was still always a trial.
I did exactly the same as you Mart, photography classes at night-school and all that fun in the dark..all very interesting, absorbing and entertaining in those good old black and white days.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Mart im not against heavily photoshopped images its a skill set all of its own, and you do it so well, but in a Photo competition, then for me they do not belong, unless the rules deem them permissible.
Agreed Nom, I think that cropping, straightening and contrast are all permissible.

Most of what has occurred here is about a few who seem determined to undermine what has been a great part of this site for a long time.
True, but I hope that the FUN competition carries on.

I had intended to start a thread showing a few tips on how to do simple editing with tips about certain common things i see such as horizons etc. But i wont now, this has left a nasty taste and putting up photos now will be ill received by members now
Not to those of us that are genuinely interested. Your photos and knowledge are to be admired Nom.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-10-2016, 12:11 PM

It was interesting Malcolm. I stopped going to evening classes when models started coming in. No, not photographing the whole body. Just the face was all.

I was never comfortable asking them the twist this way and that for the right angle, or putting the light meter to their face in order to get the camera settings.

I took and developed all of our early family photos though. Since scanned them into the computer and they are now stored as .tif files.
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 12:02 AM

Is editing photos fair - in a nutshell 'no' - why is it necessary?

Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top