Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Re: Sunsets and Dawns.

What's 'a fall of Robins' mean, Nom?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What's 'a fall of Robins' mean, Nom?
Morning Mups, a fall is something that happens in times of bird migration Spring / Autumn when they are returning to their breeding or wintering grounds.

Weather conditions can blow them across the sea from the continent, and usually rain will ground them. The birds build up large flocks when moving and so can appear in an area out of the blue a fall.

A visit to Spurn in Yorkshire once produced over 3000 Robin on the site alone as well as thousands of Blackbirds, Fieldfares and Redwing passing overhead, one of natures great experiences.

Hope that helps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Morning Mups, a fall is something that happens in times of bird migration Spring / Autumn when they are returning to their breeding or wintering grounds.

Weather conditions can blow them across the sea from the continent, and usually rain will ground them. The birds build up large flocks when moving and so can appear in an area out of the blue a fall.

A visit to Spurn in Yorkshire once produced over 3000 Robin on the site alone as well as thousands of Blackbirds, Fieldfares and Redwing passing overhead, one of natures great experiences.

Hope that helps.

Thankyou, I didn't know that. They do recover I presume?

But Robins don't migrate - do they? I thought Robins over-wintered here, because they're always in the garden over winter?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thankyou, I didn't know that. They do recover I presume?

But Robins don't migrate - do they? I thought Robins over-wintered here, because they're always in the garden over winter?
Yes Robins do migrate as do many birds to escape the harsh winters in the north, some of ours will move further south but we can get continental replacements.

Most of the common species will do ok, its often at times of these falls we get unusual species, and those can struggle to survive as they are often attacked by local birds and predators

Its a complex subject, not all of which is understood yet, but it makes birding a fascinating subject.

A good understanding in general here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoveranden...s-migrate.aspx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks very much for the info.

I also found out its mostly the females that go to France, Spain or sometimes Portugal, most of the males are sedentary and don't go much further than 5km away.
They mustn't all go, else who would we have on our Christmas cards each year?

(I've got a little chap who waits and watches me fill the feeder for him every morning).
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

10-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Sunset in Norfolk Brancaster Harbour.

warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 07:21 AM

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Very nice, Nom, Warleyon & Realspeed.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Some really good photo's, thanks for sharing them with us

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top