Join for free
Page 13 of 25 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Re: Doctors - do you trust them?

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
This concept of alotting only a specific and limited amount of time per patient is foreign to me. Here, the doc's office manager schedules appointments for the day.. You go at your specified time and usually you end up waiting an hour to see him. BUT once you get into his office, you take as much time as you need, and you get to discuss anything and everything that is of medical concern to you. There is no specified amount of time. The doc stays until his waiting room is empty and no more patients are scheduled. So seeing a doc and getting the Bums Rush is not something I have dealt with. Sure.. it's a pain to sit and wait, but knowing that when I get to see him I will have the time I need to satisfy my health concerns is worth the wait.
That is exactly how our GP runs his surgery Audrey.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Looking at it we don't really have a national health service now do we ? it's good in some areas and diabolical in others. Some treatments are offered in some postcodes and not others too.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Looking at it we don't really have a national health service now do we ? it's good in some areas and diabolical in others. Some treatments are offered in some postcodes and not others too.
My area is probably one of the diabolical ones. 5 minute consultations even though I haven't seen a doctor for the last 5 years or so. There is no distinction between me, and someone who goes every week. I am, or was, a big fan of the NHS and would HATE to see its demise, but the only thing it has done for me in the last decade is provide a referral to a hospital where I need ongoing treatment for a specific thing. I can't fault the hospital treatment I get.

But to be honest, I can access private treatment if I need to, due to medical insurance, and if the NHS goes on the way it is deteriorating, I will be one of the lucky ones who can do this. I don't want to have to, really. I prefer the NHS. But the GP service I get, is, quite honestly, pants.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes Julie, that is the way it seems to be, some trusts are able to budget better than others demographics play a big part.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Still You don't want the type of health care model we have. It is employer based and if you are unemployed you do not have healthcare. If you lose your job, you lose your healthcare. It is run solely for the profit of large insurance companies. who up until the Affordable Care Act under Obama could deny health coverage for ANY pre-existing condition. If you went to the Emergency room without insurance, you would be charge quadruple the amount an insurance company would pay for the same service. If you could not pay, you would be taken to court and you could lose everything you owned. Therefore, most are forced into bankruptcy and their credit ruined.

It's not until Americans reach the ripe old age of 65 do we have any healthcare security with Medicare. AND even that is being eroded by politicians who want to give it to Insurance companies so they can make profit off of the illnesess of the elderly.

I would take your NHS over this system any day. Even if it meant waiting for appointments or surgeries.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Audrey, does Medicaid no longer exist?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Just checked, and it does. So that means there is in fact a means-tested system for those on low income to get state funded care. So it's not quite as dire as portrayed, although it certainly isn't great.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Audrey, does Medicaid no longer exist?
Yes it exists.. BUT.. you have to be VERY poor to qualify. Up until recently, working adults without children could not get Medicaid. The Affordable Care Act changed that, but still the income requirement is so low.. a working adult must have below $15,000 annual income to qualify. If families made $1 over the maximum yearly income, the children could get healthcare, but NOT the parents.

15,000 USD = 8740 pounds
AudreyII
USA

02-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Just checked, and it does. So that means there is in fact a means-tested system for those on low income to get state funded care. So it's not quite as dire as portrayed, although it certainly isn't great.
Yes... it's as dire as that.. for the reasons I just stated. Many of the working poor have not been able to see a doctor for years.. If their employer does not provide healthcare.. and they are not mandated to provide it for people working less than 40 hrs per week. Many employers keep employee hours below the 40 hour per work week so they do not have to. They will schedule people for just under 40. People are forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, but still do not get healthcare, because they make over the maximum yearly amount to qualify.

Also, if you own a modest home.. have a bank account no matter how small... you probably do not qualify for Medicaid. You will lose your house, and savings if you get sick.

We would gladly have your NHS any day...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 12:30 AM

well what a jolly discussion - do you trust doctors - from where - Russia, England USA, burma, australia etc etc - we are all talking at crossed purpose to no avail - yes it many make a jolly discussion but we are just going around in circles - which doctors are we discussing by the way???

Page 13 of 25 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top