Join for free
Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Re: forming a closed group for sharing experiences

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I don't think Patsy means that at all.
She's talking about a single thread, surely, not a forum?

I think I understand EXACTLY what Patsy is saying and I agree with Jem.
It's not about a discussion thread where folk will wade in with arguments for and against and every which way...it's more about a thread sharing experiences where everyone is on a level playing field, as it were, and those that disagree with their beliefs one would imagine would keep away...but there's usually one or two who like to gate crash and stir just for the hell of it, and that's a shame.

It makes me more inclined to think that FOR THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT there might actually be a call for a closed thread as was suggested in the first place and the title of this thread.

I might've been converted

P.S. just to add that it's very confusing when posters get the words forum and thread muddled.
I don't know about you Ruth but I joined this site to have chats and discussions not be told I can only post in certain threads or that when I post in a thread I am 'gatecrashing ' or 'posting for the hell of it' and that if someone says they believe the moon is made of blue cheese and that because they believe that I can't disagree.
That would negate the point in having a forum.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Im wondering if the way round this is having the Title of the Thread and adding For The BELIEVERS ONLY ..

If the NON Believers want to start a Thread on same subject ,let them add NON BELIEVERS
Shall we have a thread for 'Wife beaters only ' (just as an example) too if not why not.
It could be argued that if wife beaters or anyone else want an unopposed thread they should have one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mods were members before they were mods Julie and have an opinion if that is what you mean by 'agenda' .
What is this stupid word 'buzzing'.

Are you suggesting Mods should not take part in discussions?
No that wasn't what I meant at all and I am now out of here as it's getting too silly for words, I didn't start the buzzing it seems ok for some to use the word but not me ?
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:51 PM

Shall we have a thread for 'Wife beaters only ' (just as an example) too if not why not.
It could be argued that if wife beaters or anyone else want an unopposed thread they should have one.
sorry Meg but you are starting to sound like someone who's just lost the argument.......you'r clutching straws as they say.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

01-09-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No that wasn't what I meant at all and I am now out of here as it's getting too silly for words, I didn't start the buzzing it seems ok for some to use the word but not me ?
Regardless of who used the word 'buzzing' first you were the one who said Mods joined in the 'Buzzing'
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem with things like this subject is the mods have their own agenda and join in the buzzing (happens on all forums no worse here than anywhere else).
I think it sounds silly but don't know what it mean so presumably you can tell me as you used it.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:15 PM

if you want one one titled Wife Beaters meg than thats your choice ..

from what i can see a few want to discuss a subject while others want to debate it.

I think now even I can see why the OP asked it to be a closed thread .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:25 PM

This is turning into a weird thread.

So to encapsulate ... if I've got the gist right?

Some members are now in favour of closed groups because in essence what they want is not a debate or exchange of ideas for everyone but just want people to join in who agree or share or reinforce their viewpoint?

I can't actually name one forum I'm a member of who have closed groups because the owners have probably realised, or learnt from experience, that they can be divisive at worst.. or reduce the content on the public forum at best, which doesn't really attract new members.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

01-09-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
sorry Meg but you are starting to sound like someone who's just lost the argument.......you'r clutching straws as they say.
Really I thought I was supporting the view of those who do not want to see this site fragmented into threads where only some members are allowed to post and where putting forward an alternative opinion is not allowed.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Why all these plurals?
Why talk of groupS and threadS?....it was simply a suggestion, surely, to have ONE thread about a subject that interests a few like minded posters.

It most likely bores the crap out of others, and for that reason they would be politely asked to stay away than spoil it for those that want to share their experiences.

I really can't see the problem.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:59 PM

Now it is confusing.
A thread isn't the same thing as a Group.

Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top