Join for free
Page 13 of 27 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 10:52 AM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that the relevant fact, in all that's said, in this topic, should be that the war was only going to be won after all of the allied countries joined together and supported each other in the effort.

Watching the movies, reading the books, all created since, does not a lot to help with understanding that.

I'm proud that Britain got involved early.

Had we not done so, virtually all of Europe would now be Nazi!

A touch of gratitude, coming our way, would be nice!
Well put TedC. Thanks.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Ungrateful? How grateful should we be for things we were paid for................and the English were starving before those paid for foodstuffs arrived.

This is a matter of historical fact. I'd just like to point that out. In fact I believe we didn't complete paying until fairly recent years.

If the Americans had seen us as their friends and allies across the ocean, they surely would have helped to support us in our hour of need............and that wasn't the case!
Because you are pressing the issue, perhaps I should point out that The British Empire was an incredibly wealthy economic concern. Americans of the mid-20 century well remembered that England tried to turn Americans into economic slaves to the benefit of England .(1700's onward) Moreover, England declared war on America , not just once, but twice: 1776 and again in 1812.
Until the mid WW2 period, The British Empire was sweating and oppressing a half billion Asiatics. Those in power in the U.K didn't give a rats arse about the starving Asians of India. Much of The British Empires wealth came directly from the oppression of India.
One might well ask, why the U.S. should have GIVEN, free of charge, goods, and services, AND at the same time sacrifice the lives of American merchant marines which were being sunk by U-boats. ?
It seems to me that you are saying "America should have given us free food , while at the same time we keep all of our gold".
Sorry to say this but the days of The British Empire, and gun-boat diplomacy are long passed. Get used to it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by lindyloo ->
we paid the usa to help us..........and we're still paying. Why do you think they have american army bases here?
The uk was starving - virtually blockaded by uboats yet america insisted we pay in gold before they helped!!!

America's full participation didn't come until after pearl harbour. We do not owe america any thanks - and they did not win the the war!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by tedc ->
i think that the relevant fact, in all that's said, in this topic, should be that the war was only going to be won after all of the allied countries joined together and supported each other in the effort.

Watching the movies, reading the books, all created since, does not a lot to help with understanding that.

I'm proud that britain got involved early.

Had we not done so, virtually all of europe would now be nazi!

A touch of gratitude, coming our way, would be nice!
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Because you are pressing the issue, perhaps I should point out that The British Empire was an incredibly wealthy economic concern. Americans of the mid-20 century well remember that England tried to turn Americans into economic slaves to the benefit of England .(1700's onward) Until the mid WW2 period, The British Empire was sweating and oppressing a half billion Asiatics. Those in power in the U.K didn't give a rats arse about the starving Asians of India. Much of The British Empires wealth came directly from the oppression of India.
One might well ask, why the U.S. should have GIVEN, free of charge, goods, and services, AND at the same time sacrifice the lives of American merchant marines which were being sunk by U-boats. ?
It seems to me that you are saying "America should have given us free food , while at the same time we keep all of our gold".
Sorry to say this but the days of The British Empire, and gun-boat diplomacy are long passed. Get used to it.
The British Empire was a DISGRACE, I am so glad we no longer have one. The way it was achieved was evil.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-04-2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
The British Empire was a DISGRACE, I am so glad we no longer have one. The way it was achieved was evil.
Funny, isn't it, how everyone these days condemns the British Empire, forgetting that it spread knowledge and development to many third-world countries like India, who is now becoming one of the strongest and most influential countries in the world.
Oh, you naughty British!

And why does everyone, at the same time, conveniently forget the Spanish Empire and the Ottoman Empire, and to a much more limited extent, even the French 'Empire'?
Much more trendy to condemn the British, of course.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
Same with all empires. On the positive side the Brits did civilise much of Africa etc - at least for a while.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Because you are pressing the issue, perhaps I should point out that The British Empire was an incredibly wealthy economic concern. Americans of the mid-20 century well remembered that England tried to turn Americans into economic slaves to the benefit of England .(1700's onward) Moreover, England declared war on America , not just once, but twice: 1776 and again in 1812.
Until the mid WW2 period, The British Empire was sweating and oppressing a half billion Asiatics. Those in power in the U.K didn't give a rats arse about the starving Asians of India. Much of The British Empires wealth came directly from the oppression of India.

Care to compare and contrast the British Empire with the American Empire today?

Thought not.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Well put TedC. Thanks.
Thanks LL,

It's not comforting to remember that Our Government had to get down on it's knees to beg for assistance in a European war in which certain groups were being gassed if they were deemed to be "not worthy".

We're grateful for the help of the Commonwealth Countries, and others who came to the assistance.

Not all had to be bribed to do so.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Care to compare and contrast the British Empire with the American Empire today?

Thought not.
Obviously, the Americans, and various other countries, would not have been involved in slavery, or the taking over of the land of others.

Heaven forbid!

Page 13 of 27 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top