Join for free
Page 131 of 1676 « First < 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 231 631 1131 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 01:13 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I get some weird dreams meself RJ, especially when I eat wedding cake before I go to bed.

What if we could voluntary hibernate for the severe months of Winter? Suppose we slept for three months of the year, drip fed in units stacked in a building specially built for the purpose, just half a dozen staff to patrol in shifts and see that all the feeding and emptying machines were working properly. It would save a fortune in fuel and food costs and your house could be let out or whatever, that of course would be optional, the three months would be just the same as a good nights sleep to us, a bonus would be that we all skip Christmas and all the razzle dazzle that goes with it, and when we wake up it’s spring, the sun is shining and the birds are singing and we all have three months back pension to collect.
Maybe it would add years to your life instead of taking them off, seeing that there would be less wasting of energy and wear and tear on the body, if a smoker or drinker you would benefit from the three months without same, maybe one could go on like this year after year and add an extra third to ones life, everyone’s a winner. Has this ever been tried by NASA to find out the effects of long term space flights? As they are already talking of a Mars flight they’d want to get cracking now, spending a few years in a tiny space ship wide awake with the same people all the time would drive anyone nuts, they’d probably end up strangling each other before they even get there.

I have always wondered if a smoker was in a coma for a long period, would he/she be cured of the habit when he/she woke up? Not that I want to be cured of the habit, I like smoking that’s the only reason I smoke.

Ah forget it, just daydreaming again.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:33 PM

I have always wondered if a smoker was in a coma for a long period, would he/she be cured of the habit when he/she woke up?

Good question, but, being in a coma, must be like putting a good book down, having a crazy dream, then waking, picking the book up again, and continuing where you left OFF.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:44 PM

Rip Van Winkle fell asleep one day, and much to everyone’s dismay, he stayed that way.
His poor wife was frantic, it was not very romantic, and her needs were gigantic.
With no money coming in, she turned to sin, in her skin, to the shame of her kit and kin.
She went to jail, ‘cos she couldn’t get bail, and was groped by a male, on the landing rail, all things considered it was a very sad tale.
(Mars Barr)

My missus has always loved her sleep, her mother used to have a terrible job getting her up for work in the mornings, but to be fair she works hard (when she’s awake) and she fully deserves her rest. I remember the first week after we were married, the newly married women packed in their jobs then and took over the running of the house, or if they fancied they would continue working, they had the choice, but that was back in the old days when we were making progress, one wage was enough to provide for the whole family, no need for the wife to work, now even two incomes can’t provide enough to live decently on, and they call that progress? Anyway getting back to the sleep, I, like the gentleman that I am made her her breakfast in bed and went out to work, when I got back home at 5.30pm she was still in bed fast asleep, hows that for a marathon nap? Well things started to sort themselves out fairly quickly after that and the next day she managed to get up at 1.pm, she worked backwards and eventually began to get up when I got up, but she still loves her sleep, we still have a laugh about those old days.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 08:27 AM

All this chat about wedding cake compels me to reveal my love of garden plants. Shrubs especially fall into this category.
I am hopeful that this post will be of interest given the rather weak connection between fructose & erm, fructose in my opening gambit.
Etch this name somewhere about your person VIBURNUM PLICATUM MARIESII.

Ring a bell? Of course it’s the Wedding Cake Viburnum.

Viburnum Mariesii received the RHS prestigious award of garden merit.
The eventual height is about ten feet, although information received suggests that it can take ten years to reach six feet, so obviously won’t outgrow its position too quickly. Branches grow horizontally in a tiered fashion without the need for training, pruning is unnecessary other than to tidy up and perhaps remove the occasional wayward branch.
The white showy upward facing lace cap flowers in May are borne along the length of the horizontal branches, giving a very striking and architectural appearance. The leaves in Autumn turn a reddish/purple giving a spectacular display. Best grown as a specimen shrub as the horizontal branches grow wide and would be restricted in the mixed border, which would spoil the effect of this very special deciduous shrub.

(I confess to sparing use of the C&P function)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
All this chat about wedding cake compels me to reveal my love of garden plants. Shrubs especially fall into this category.
I am hopeful that this post will be of interest given the rather weak connection between fructose & erm, fructose in my opening gambit.
Etch this name somewhere about your person VIBURNUM PLICATUM MARIESII.

Ring a bell? Of course it’s the Wedding Cake Viburnum.

Viburnum Mariesii received the RHS prestigious award of garden merit.
The eventual height is about ten feet, although information received suggests that it can take ten years to reach six feet, so obviously won’t outgrow its position too quickly. Branches grow horizontally in a tiered fashion without the need for training, pruning is unnecessary other than to tidy up and perhaps remove the occasional wayward branch.
The white showy upward facing lace cap flowers in May are borne along the length of the horizontal branches, giving a very striking and architectural appearance. The leaves in Autumn turn a reddish/purple giving a spectacular display. Best grown as a specimen shrub as the horizontal branches grow wide and would be restricted in the mixed border, which would spoil the effect of this very special deciduous shrub.

(I confess to sparing use of the C&P function)
oh RJ you are a one [gentle punches RJ left shoulder] but I do love you [well in the filial way you understand!!]

a ten foot wedding - quiet a feet heh! - most wedding last one or two week and then the rot sets in - obviously not in the VIBURNUM PLICATUM MARIESII.

yes my first wife did suggest that I took 10 years to reach six feet - no I am not boasting I just have a very active libido!

Branches grow horizontally in a tiered fashion without the need for training, pruning is unnecessary other than to tidy up and perhaps remove the occasional wayward branch.
yes not boasting again but I always prided myself as an horizontal fashion!! and there was no need to remove any untidy wayward branches - I soon took care of them!!

white showy upward facing lace cap flowers in May
I have been known and prided on my white showy thingy!!

turn a reddish/purple giving a spectacular display.
well if you insist I have been known to turn into a reddish thingy but only under extreme provocation or constant abuse!

Best grown as a specimen shrub as the horizontal branches grow wide and would be restricted in the mixed border,
well what can I say ? - you may ask yes I always see myself as a supremely gorgeous specimen as boozecruiser would say and prefer to perform in the horizontal branch position and never restricted to border control - too many foreigners there!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Gummy, what an outstanding contribution to my post.

Since childhood I have revelled in learning the LATIN (the proper) names of plants.
I was given a LADYBIRD book for my 8th birthday "Cacti & Succulents"
I learned all the names, but dropping them casually into a kids conversation was not easy.
My observations at playtime such as " Oh look, a Sempervivum tectorum" were met usually with the comment
"Drop dead Snowy" or "Swallowed a dictionary , you dopey cnut"
It was a rough school where I lived, a council state built in the late 1920's but not used entirely until the town was blitzed in 1940, thanks to Mr Hitler & the homeless were everywhere. My parents squatted in a Nissen hut left by the G.I.s in 1945.

Jump forward 50 years to an encounter on theMSN chatroom network, sadly denied to us in 2016. I came across a fellow gardener, and blunt. WE were on the subject of the propagation of ferns by spores.
I prattled on, "Have you had any success with "Nephrolepsis Bostoniensis Exaltata"
He replied"Swallowed a dictionary, you dopey cnut"

AS Sir Winston CHurchill uttered his last words I knew exactly what he meant

Sigh .............. "I'm so bored with it all"
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Gummy, what an outstanding contribution to my post.

Since childhood I have revelled in learning the LATIN (the proper) names of plants.
I was given a LADYBIRD book for my 8th birthday "Cacti & Succulents"
I learned all the names, but dropping them casually into a kids conversation was not easy.
My observations at playtime such as " Oh look, a Sempervivum tectorum" were met usually with the comment
"Drop dead Snowy" or "Swallowed a dictionary , you dopey cnut"
It was a rough school where I lived, a council state built in the late 1920's but not used entirely until the town was blitzed in 1940, thanks to Mr Hitler & the homeless were everywhere. My parents squatted in a Nissen hut left by the G.I.s in 1945.

Jump forward 50 years to an encounter on theMSN chatroom network, sadly denied to us in 2016. I came across a fellow gardener, and blunt. WE were on the subject of the propagation of ferns by spores.
I prattled on, "Have you had any success with "Nephrolepsis Bostoniensis Exaltata"
He replied"Swallowed a dictionary, you dopey cnut"

AS Sir Winston CHurchill uttered his last words I knew exactly what he meant

Sigh .............. "I'm so bored with it all"
well thank you very much for all of that I was just trying to return a compliment to an old friend - I was simple trying to point out --- well why bother!!

ps may the hampshire hogs keep fouraging!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-11-2016, 05:02 PM

What kind of cheese was that? as the ad says. Plenty of choice words there lads.

Ah yes boredom, happens to everyone even the great Churchill himself, there is only one cure for it-variety, a varied jack of all trades approach to everything helps to stir up the memories of those gathered. I see this all the time in the local, the football fans more or less all sit together and natter all the time about football, boring to listen to all the time and I’ve seen grown men come to blows over it. then the crowd from the offices next door who talk about work, again boring to listen to all the time, the loners sit at the bar, bored from thinking. Where I sit there’s a fine selection of retired heads, from Dave the ex council bin man to Peter the retired local GP, a very varied collection all with different outlooks on life, it seldom gets boring and there’s alway a few laughs as well as a few friendly disputes, it’s a tonic for me everyday, only problem is they’re all getting older and dying off slowly, but that’s how it goes.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

12-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Guys Guys, I got carried away, thats all.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

12-11-2016, 09:52 PM

talking of the florals my grandmother had the biggest aspidistra in the world - there it stood all forlorn in the front parlor in a beautiful painted pot - people would come from miles around and stand outside looking in. but I never once seen that aspidistra flower! it must have been very tired cos it came all the way from Japan.

Page 131 of 1676 « First < 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 231 631 1131 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top