Join for free
Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Re: Your latest flower photo.

We have a nice crop of Himalyan Balsam too down by the river, very pretty it is, shame it's so invasive!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We have a nice crop of Himalyan Balsam too down by the river, very pretty it is, shame it's so invasive!
My garden is constantly under attack from Bindweed, but it is so pretty when it flowers, I always feel a bit guilty for destroying it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Beautiful picture Nom. We always clear the ragwort from our fields, if horses are expected there, but anybody who exposes their horses to ragwort is stupid because, not only are they likely to lose their horse, but they will also lose the fortune that they have invested in that horse....... and they are not cheap to keep!
The daft part about the field with horses and ragwort was a sign above the ragwort saying please dont feed the horses.

I would have thought that the horse owners would have removed the ragwort, and these were top quality horses so i would expect the owners to have know the problem.

Most folks passing by would not be aware, and could easily grab a handful to feed to the animals.

Also on the coastal dune areas where i live, travelers often tether their horses on long chain, to feed and ragwort is prevalent.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Too right Tess, beautiful plant loved by bees and hoverflies, but its like a plague.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The daft part about the field with horses and ragwort was a sign above the ragwort saying please dont feed the horses.

I would have thought that the horse owners would have removed the ragwort, and these were top quality horses so i would expect the owners to have know the problem.

Most folks passing by would not be aware, and could easily grab a handful to feed to the animals.

Also on the coastal dune areas where i live, travelers often tether their horses on long chain, to feed and ragwort is prevalent.

The owners should have known the problem, and dealt with it!

Sadly many travelers do not care for their horses well and treat them a bit like machines. I believe there are fines for fly grazing, but if the horse is on your land it then becomes your responsibility in the event of any accident or injury to the horse or person.... so I expect it is your responsibility to remove possible poisons to the horse.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Ragwort is very dangerous to horses and can result in liver failure. I believe that it is illegal to keep horses where ragwort is growing and when there are horses in my fields we have to spend hours removing it, before they arrive.
Yes i know that, and ive seen ragwort growing around fields where horses are kept. And riders using paths where ragwort grows.

Beautiful picture Nom. We always clear the ragwort from our fields, if horses are expected there, but anybody who exposes their horses to ragwort is stupid because, not only are they likely to lose their horse, but they will also lose the fortune that they have invested in that horse....... and they are not cheap to keep!

The owners should have known the problem, and dealt with it!

Sadly many travelers do not care for their horses well and treat them a bit like machines. I believe there are fines for fly grazing, but if the horse is on your land it then becomes your responsibility in the event of any accident or injury to the horse or person.... so I expect it is your responsibility to remove possible poisons to the horse.
Yes, to all the above. I cringe when I see fields with horses in & ragwort growing. All my horse friends diligently removed ragwort all the time from their fields. Having seen a horse, a beautiful palomino show horse die from ragwort poisoning & it wasn't a nice thing to see. I would always remove it from any field there were horses grazing in.
I know ragwort is essential to the life cycle of the cinnabar moth. But not in horses fields.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, to all the above. I cringe when I see fields with horses in & ragwort growing. All my horse friends diligently removed ragwort all the time from their fields. Having seen a horse, a beautiful palomino show horse die from ragwort poisoning & it wasn't a nice thing to see. I would always remove it from any field there were horses grazing in.
I know ragwort is essential to the life cycle of the cinnabar moth. But not in horses fields.

Same here Tiffany. It's even still poisonous when it's dried and dead in hay bales, as I'm sure you already know.

Same as Yew. Many years ago my vet told me Yew had to be cleared BY LAW if it was overhanging or growing in fields used for livestock.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

17-09-2016, 09:10 AM

I am glad we started a discussion on ragwort because last night a couple came to ask if I had any land they could rent... they were buying their daughter pony. Unfortunately I didn't but I did give them some ideas on where to look. They hadn't had a pony before and this thread made me ask if they knew the dangers of ragwort, which they didn't. We had a long chat and they are now going to make sure their pony will never find any ragwort, no matter where it is stabled.
It will be one well cared for pony, thank to OFF.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

17-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

17-09-2016, 12:31 PM

Sorry Nom we derailed your thread with the talk of ragwort, but it is all yours again now.

Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top