Join for free
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Re: Oh No, Not Again !!

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Nicotine effects on the brain.

Increased release of acetylcholine from the neurons, leading to heightened activity in cholinergic pathways throughout your brain. This cholinergic activity calls your body and brain to action, and this is the wake-up call that many smokers use to re-energize themselves throughout the day. Through these pathways, nicotine improves your reaction time and your ability to pay attention, making you feel like you can work better.

Stimulation of cholinergic neurons promotes the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the reward pathways of your brain. This neural circuitry is supposed to reinforce behaviors that are essential to your survival, like eating when you're hungry. Stimulating neurons in these areas of the brain brings on pleasant, happy feelings that encourage you to do these things again and again. When drugs like cocaine or nicotine activate the reward pathways, it reinforces your desire to use them again because you feel so at peace and happy afterwards.

i.e a nicotine 'high'
I don't know where you copied that from but I don't know many smokers who after smoking adopt the same psychological frame of mind as, say, cannibis users - in fact, I've seen smokers in a high state of distress and it will take a few cigarettes before they calm down - not much of a high if you have to wait that long. I would like to know where that quote came from for authenticity purposes.

By the way: as we're being pedantic - it's 'affects' not 'effects'.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Re: Oh No, Not Again !!

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I don't know where you copied that from....

By the way: as we're being pedantic - it's 'affects' not 'effects'.
You are correct....my typo.

Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top