Join for free
Page 14 of 17 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Just back from holiday and thought this thread had run it’s course..... I suspect you know what I mean but here goes. Scotland is a partner in an unequal union, its population is only 8-9% of the total UK population. We are also politically poles apart. Consequently, in a U.K. wide vote, the result (naturally) will be decided by the much larger partner. In this case Scotland voted to remain (almost overwhelmingly) but will leave with the rest as a result of our view being verwhelmed by the votes of the more right wing English shires.
I'm sure I've responded to a similar message before, but here goes.

Like Scotland (and with a similar population), Yorkshire is also a partner in an unequal union. As important as we are, we are outnumbered by the rest of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

However, we Yorkies understand that in practice, Yorkshire, along with the rest of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are one united nation, called the United Kingdom.

As such, when we make important democratic decisions, like the EU referendum a couple of years ago, the total votes of the nation are counted together to arrive at the final decision.

Sadly, although I consider it very unfair indeed (as Yorkshire people are far superior in all respects to lesser people in the UK), our votes are taken as counting no more than the people of the rest of the UK.

I hope this explanation clears things up.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Like Scotland (and with a similar population), Yorkshire is also a partner in an unequal union. As important as we are, we are outnumbered by the rest of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

However, we Yorkies understand that in practice, Yorkshire, along with the rest of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are one united nation, called the United Kingdom.

As such, when we make important democratic decisions, like the EU referendum a couple of years ago, the total votes of the nation are counted together to arrive at the final decision.

Sadly, although I consider it very unfair indeed (as Yorkshire people are far superior in all respects to lesser people in the UK), our votes are taken as counting no more than the people of the rest of the UK.

If the region of Yorkshire were to declare UDI you would have my support my friend! 👍😁
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 04:38 PM

If the region of Yorkshire were to declare UDI you would have my support my friend! 👍😁
Thank you. We stand together!

Perhaps a better idea still would be to fight for an independent Londonistan! Then the rest of us can get on with things as we'd like.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Just back from holiday and thought this thread had run it’s course..... I suspect you know what I mean but here goes. Scotland is a partner in an unequal union, its population is only 8-9% of the total UK population. We are also politically poles apart. Consequently, in a U.K. wide vote, the result (naturally) will be decided by the much larger partner. In this case Scotland voted to remain (almost overwhelmingly) but will leave with the rest as a result of our view being verwhelmed by the votes of the more right wing English shires.
You have to go with the majority vote weedeek. The majority of Scots voted to remain in the UK in the 2014 referendum. I would like to see Nicola Sturgeon out of Bute house but I have to go with the democratic vote.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
You have to go with the majority vote weedeek. The majority of Scots voted to remain in the UK in the 2014 referendum. I would like to see Nicola Sturgeon out of Bute house but I have to go with the democratic vote.
I don't like the Fish Woman. She's like a cracked record.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
H

I find that very demeaning Purwell.

Pray, do tell. how many English Speakers do you have in your house tonight?

I have one, me,

The rest are Polish and Filipino.

They all pay vast amounts of Tax, we are not Xenophobes, just realists.

I voted out for Political reasons, not financial ones.

You keep on with your trips to the Pub, meet your Momentum Friends.

I will just enjoy my Pensions, which I have not spent in the Pub.
I find you very patronising.
I have just as many Polish friends as you have, and several other nationalities too. So kindly keep your unpleasant thoughts to yourself.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I’m not disputing the 2014 referendum result, wish it was otherwise but , as you say, it was a democratic vote by the Scottish people and such is life. Doesn’t mean I can’t voice my continued believe in independence though. TBH I can’t see Scotland gain its independence for many a long year if ever! Don’t think enough people are interested in current politics and who can blame them! Maybe when Brexit hits home..,?! Having a rant now! At least we can agree to disagree without resort to slagging each other off.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Good shout JBR,

I'm a West Country man and the West Country, incorporating the former Kingdom of Wessex, which is one of the 9 official regions of England and is known as the South West Region for administrative purposes and is the largest of the 9 regions with a population of over 5 million ( as big as Scotland) and guess what........It is an unequal partner in an unequal Union........despite being the most beautiful, most historic and most diverse region with the longest coastline and the best climate.
However, we accept that the sum of the United Kingdom is greater than the constituent parts and humbly accept our status as the most loved region with the nicest people with grace and candour.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Good shout JBR,

I'm a West Country man and the West Country, incorporating the former Kingdom of Wessex, which is one of the 9 official regions of England and is known as the South West Region for administrative purposes and is the largest of the 9 regions with a population of over 5 million ( as big as Scotland) and guess what........It is an unequal partner in an unequal Union........despite being the most beautiful, most historic and most diverse region with the longest coastline and the best climate.
However, we accept that the sum of the United Kingdom is greater than the constituent parts and humbly accept our status as the most loved region with the nicest people with grace and candour.
Yes that is the impression I gained whenever we have visited those parts.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

02-10-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Good shout JBR,

There’s a world of difference between regions/ counties and a country but you know that. Kingdom of Wessex eh. Just had a horrible vision of Boris in a suit of armour, Jacob as Merlin and Theresa as Guinevere! Shit! Never get to sleep now...😴

Page 14 of 17 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top