Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Re: How Tall!.

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Like we care. We'll measure whatever we want HOWEVER we want.
Fine good. Do as you wish. I'm nether complaining nor requiring anyone to ignore or abandon Imperial measures.

Should you care? For some things there are no Imperial units. You can't measure or quantify them in Imperial measures.

Your electrical power bill is kWh for example. If your water is metered, and for many of us it is, you pay for litres, not gallons or pints.

Cooking oil, sugar, flour, nuts, bolts, practically everything is in SI these days.

You can't simply ignore it. Whether you care or not.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Fine good. Do as you wish. I'm nether complaining nor requiring anyone to ignore or abandon Imperial measures.

Should you care? For some things there are no Imperial units. You can't measure or quantify them in Imperial measures.

Your electrical power bill is kWh for example. If your water is metered, and for many of us it is, you pay for litres, not gallons or pints.

Cooking oil, sugar, flour, nuts, bolts, practically everything is in SI these days.

You can't simply ignore it. Whether you care or not.
Please try to understand that the measurements we use are what the majority of us use in conversation. If necessary, we will convert when required, but we just prefer to use the ones we have grown up with.
Is it really worth making a big fuss about? Nobody is going to die whether use feet & inches or metres & centimetres.....so what is the point of arguing about it?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Please try to understand that the measurements we use are what the majority of us use in conversation. If necessary, we will convert when required, but we just prefer to use the ones we have grown up with.
Is it really worth making a big fuss about? Nobody is going to die whether use feet & inches or metres & centimetres.....so what is the point of arguing about it?
I'm neither arguing nor nor complaining about what units you use/prefer.
Did you miss/ignore this?
Do as you wish. I'm nether complaining nor requiring anyone to ignore or abandon Imperial measures.
You mentioned converting when required. For some things, as basic as your energy bill, there is no conversion.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:28 PM

You mean you don't know?

Because he has to have the "Last Word"!!!

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm neither arguing nor nor complaining about what units you use/prefer.
Did you miss/ignore this?

You mentioned converting when required. For some things, as basic as your energy bill, there is no conversion.
Ok well I am not going to argue with you, we try not to do that on the lighter threads here! I was just pointing out that it was you who raised this issue in the thread, and there was really no need to do so! We can all use SI if required, but we prefer to talk about Imperial measures in friendly chat.
I am sure most people viewed your comments, as being like a telling off by the teacher,..... and nobody on here will accept that!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

02-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Ok well I am not going to argue with you, we try not to do that on the lighter threads here! I was just pointing out that it was you who raised this issue in the thread, and there was really no need to do so! We can all use SI if required, but we prefer to talk about Imperial measures in friendly chat.
I am sure most people viewed your comments, as being like a telling off by the teacher,..... and nobody on here will accept that!
For the umteenth time, I am not arguing. And I'm not telling anyone off.
Use whatever units you want. I've made that point several times.

My simple point is that SI is the official system here in UK and Imperial has no measures for some things.
The KISS principle applies.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Are you?
Pauline, you are becoming obsessive about our personal information - are you working for MI5 or what?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm 5.6....I haven't lost any inches as people do as they age...well not as yet anyway
Neither have I, Summer, same height I have been since I stopped growing. Not saying what that is - Pauline is compiling dossiers!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-05-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
just because some eurotwats decided to change everything we learnt at school doesn't mean it's right.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Glad it's not just me, Tiff.
It's me as well, Mups!

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top