Join for free
Page 14 of 34 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Re: Does the internet facilitate unpleasant behaviour?

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I'll have a whisky to make me frisky!
Well gin to make me sin
Or
Brandy to make me randy.
The old ones are always the best.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Does the internet facilitate unpleasant behaviour?
I think certain sites/social networks do.

I would guess more people have committed suicide because of bullying on Facebook, than probably the rest of the internet put together.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

I would guess more people have committed suicide because of bullying on Facebook, than probably the rest of the internet put together.
Sadly true
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Yes, unfortunately Facebook is notorious for bullying. It's also notorious for people posting sick videos of animal abuse. That's where Facebook is a negative site.
Lynnie
New Member!
Shropshire, UK
Lynnie is female 

01-01-2015, 10:35 PM

I would have thought that you can only be 'bullied' online if you allow yourself to be? If someone is sending you emails, or posting on social networking sites and you don't like what they are saying - then surely the common sense action is not to read it, and certainly not to respond, block them. If you respond then you are in essence, inviting them to respond to you and so on. If you engage in that manner then it's no use bleating about it if you can't handle it.

Another internet behaviour I have observed on forums is what I call 'poor me' mode. A member will get into a discussion but then either get out of their depth or be unable to defend their opinions - said member then resorts to 'poor me' mode and goes off-topic, by saying something pitiful about themselves, or accusing others who are discussing of 'bullying' or 'nit-picking' or anything really to deflect from themselves and their inability to keep up and gain sympathy and attention. Sly and just as unpleasant as name-calling.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie ->
I would have thought that you can only be 'bullied' online if you allow yourself to be? If someone is sending you emails, or posting on social networking sites and you don't like what they are saying - then surely the common sense action is not to read it, and certainly not to respond, block them. If you respond then you are in essence, inviting them to respond to you and so on. If you engage in that manner then it's no use bleating about it if you can't handle it.
I think you are probably right. Unlike the in school yard on the internet you 'allow' yourself to be bullied because it is so easy to ignore anything you don't like. On the other hand some people bite too easily.

sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie ->

Another internet behaviour I have observed on forums is what I call 'poor me' mode. A member will get into a discussion but then either get out of their depth or be unable to defend their opinions - said member then resorts to 'poor me' mode and goes off-topic, by saying something pitiful about themselves, or accusing others who are discussing of 'bullying' or 'nit-picking' or anything really to deflect from themselves and their inability to keep up and gain sympathy and attention. Sly and just as unpleasant as name-calling.
Very good post.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Slightly off topic, but still talking about bullying. It's the situation where school children receive texts from other pupils that are offensive, or of a bullying nature. Well, call me dozy if you like, but why DO school children give out their number to all and sundry, thereby inviting this?!

Obviously there were no mobiles when I was at school, but even when at work it would/could take years before mobile numbers were exchanged between colleagues, yet girls and boys at school seem to swap their numbers with just about anyone. Why not simply dispose of the sim card and get a new one? Give the new number to trusted friends only?

So the same could be done on the internet. If bullying occurs the victim could simply close the account, open another and re-invite trusted friends, instead of accepting friend requests from all and sundry, cos it makes them look good. What's the point of having 100s of 'friends', many of whom they don't know, if one or two are going to start a bullying campaign.

Eeee. I obviously want to live in a simple world.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Lynnie - agree with your post
Also Bruce and Jazzi .....
Facebook is a whole different ball game though - can only go by what I have read and it is shocking despicable behaviour by so called 'adults'
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Julie I think I'll resort to that, even for a wee while.
It's the best solution alice because you can change your mind any time that you want.

I have one particular person permanently blocked for reasons I will not go into but I do have others that I just can't accept that what they put on here they actually mean and, every now and then, I'll look at one of their posts, just to see if they've mellowed a little!

If there's no change and the underlying nastiness is still there, they stay blocked! stevmk2

Page 14 of 34 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top