Join for free
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Re: Now tell me why our police should not be armed.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So genocide then.....
Nothing to do with genocide.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:16 AM

Then what next? Tanks, misiles? If society can't sort this out, with the help of the police, we don't deserve to have a civilised society.
If it requires the police to be armed with tanks or missiles or bloody DEATH RAYS then so be it but we and our property SHOULD and MUST be protected!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If it requires the police to be armed with tanks or missiles or bloody DEATH RAYS then so be it but we and our property SHOULD and MUST be protected!
Strutting around our streets with an AK49 assault rifle hanging off his shoulder and a belt full of hand grenades rather defeats the image of the helpful, approachable British Bobby. And besides, we've got an army for doing that if it's as bad as you make out Todger....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:31 AM

It's mostly our own fault why it has come to this Dex...
The police can't do it on their own and we should be supporting them more as in the past.

Our fault because there is no sense of community anymore, we should not tolerate criminal behaviour and vandalism taking over our communities. We lock ourselves up in own little castles with all the latest security and let the police sort it out. We have become a national society instead of a county or even town and village society. We sit back and allow laws made in Westminster to affect us all, instead of decisions made on a local level.

The result is that the police have distanced themselves from the community by strutting around in their stab vests and look more like a paramilitary force than the local bobby, and they appear unapproachable. How many of us know the local policeman or woman? Do you know their families or where they live?
They were part of the community when I was a lad and we knew each of them personally. Their families lived in the village, and people would respect them, and look out for them the same as any other neighbour.

We should take more responsibility for our communities and work with, and help the police, and the police should return to policing at a local level with officers taken from the community like they do in small townships in America.
They were obviously much nicer where you lived OGF .When I was child the police were not known and respected in the community mainly because of their unhelpful attitude . They just said have to go to the station ( miles away in another town )
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They were obviously much nicer where you lived OGF .When I was child the police were not known and respected in the community mainly because of their unhelpful attitude . You have to go to the station ( miles away in another town )
We had a local station Muddy, and it was more like 'Heartbeat' than the 'Sweeney' but I suppose in cities and large towns they wouldn't be so friendly. The younger coppers did have a bit of attitude though, and were best treated with more caution....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Strutting around our streets with an AK49 assault rifle hanging off his shoulder and a belt full of hand grenades rather defeats the image of the helpful, approachable British Bobby. And besides, we've got an army for doing that if it's as bad as you make out Todger....
It is every bit as bad. There is now no place for the approachable British Bobby because there is no Britain as we knew it 50 years ago any more.

THANK MULTICULTURALISM

As for troops on the streets - that is inseparable from martial law. It is quite possible that will be required as The Colonies join up but right now the pressing issue is a hugely changed population demographic.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It is every bit as bad. There is now no place for the approachable British Bobby because there is no Britain as we knew it 50 years ago any more.

THANK MULTICULTURALISM

As for troops on the streets - that is inseparable from martial law. It is quite possible that will be required as The Colonies join up but right now the pressing issue is a hugely changed population demographic.
I agree.
Unfortunately, many people just aren't able to accept the likely possibilities which are becoming more and more apparent as time goes on.

Above all, I see it as a very sad indictment on what our leaders have been allowing for quite a long time now, presumably in attempting to demonstrate the UK as a 'free' and liberal society.

Unfortunately, it isn't any more. Quite the opposite, in fact.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Baker man, you live in Mexico? You have a limited knowledge of law enforcement, all types, in the US. This is not a criticism of you, you are sharing one opinion.

You have also sidestepped my question to you.
Who do you call when you are in need of assistance or protection from those who would threaten you and your family? I am curious.
I may currently live in Mexico, but for the 1st 60 years of my life I lived in the U.S. During that time I ran up against cops numerous times. I think it is safe to say that I have a much more intimate knowledge of U.S. law enforcement than anyone else here on OFF.

I didn't sidestep your question. It is only that I have no use for cops.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But that's America, a.k.a. The Wild West, where everyone carries a gun and it's quite legal to do so in public.

For some reason, the MSM always avoid comparing us to the majority of European countries where their police are armed and their public safety is generally better than ours!
Just for general information: Very , very few American citizens carry guns. Own guns... yes, but not carry guns.

If a person feels he/she has a valid need for carrying a concealed weapon, he/she may apply for the appropriate permit.

The main exception to this is that criminals, especially drug dealers, routinely have a gun within reach at all times.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. Sounds like the CPS (Criminals' Protection Service) may have a hand in this.

If we want to live in a country in which we can feel safe, we need to give the police more powers and more legal protection.

Criminals must be laughing their heads off.

https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/ou...able-use-force

Independent Office for Police Conduct

The purpose of the police conduct system is to maintain public confidence in the police, uphold high standards in policing, deter misconduct and protect the public. Yet this judgment limits our ability to hold the police to account against their professional standards.

Not only does the High Court decision potentially undermine public confidence in policing, it also now places England and Wales out of step with police oversight systems in Scotland and internationally, where the ‘objective reasonableness’ test applies.

A strong policing system is accountable to the people it serves. Our position, and the reason we are appealing, is about what standards the public expect police to uphold when they use force.
The police are not going to be paid vigilantes.

Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top