Join for free
Page 15 of 25 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:38 AM

Re: Future of the Monarchy

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Prove to me that they are worth it .
No tourist BS myth please
£345 million will pay the salaries of entire teams of nurses whose lives and work are surely of more worth ?
It's interesting to use an example of paying for nurses in this discussion. Because I think they have the money already just not enough trained nurses to take jobs.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When it comes to that dysfunctional inbred shower having a single penny taken from the UK taxpayers to support them in any way is offensive and WRONG.
Are you calling the Queen inbred and dysfunctional?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Are you calling the Queen inbred and dysfunctional?
Yes. The whole of the European "royals" have been interbreeding for centuries.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I do pay tax and I don’t agree with paying for a weathly family on the basis of an accident of birth .
I don’t hate them - just because I dont believe in the monarchy doesn’t mean I hate them as individual people .

The finances of the royals are shrouded in secrecy so we don’t actually know how much they cost us but it’s no small amount .
This is IMO wrong .
It's not just how much they get given to them as a slice of the action from the taxes, it's also the HUGE related costs they generate. Stick that in and that's where the real cost to the Exchequer comes out as around £4 billion and quite possibly even more.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-04-2021, 11:50 AM

There's a fairly good (not recent) article here :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8345436.html

You can't get a breakdown of the 345m because it's just an estimate the main dispute seems to be who owns the Duchy of Lancaster/Duchy of Cornwall income and Prince Charles's entitlement. I've no idea of the history of that.

In terms of security you'd have to compare this with other public figures such as the PM etc, House of Commons, House of Lord etc. all the protests. Previous prime ministers also receive security as well the cost of Downing Street Chequers refurb of the Downing street briefings room, the refurbishment of the houses of Parliament and big ben. All that comes from the public purse.

https://www.republic.org.uk/the_true_cost_of_the_royals
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Yes. The whole of the European "royals" have been interbreeding for centuries.
Well "marrying your cousin" doesn't seem to have shortened their lifespan or affected their health.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well "marrying your cousin" doesn't seem to have shortened their lifespan or affected their health.
Wasn't there some story about the queens nieces being locked away in an asylum or something, because they had mental health issues? I can't understand anyone who who cannot look after their own....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-04-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Wasn't there some story about the queens nieces being locked away in an asylum or something, because they had mental health issues? I can't understand anyone who who cannot look after their own....
Were these the nieces of the Queen Mother?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Possibly, Annie, I'm not sure - its just a vague recollection of a story I read some time ago.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Possibly, Annie, I'm not sure - its just a vague recollection of a story I read some time ago.
I'm not sure the Earl of Strathmore was related to the Royal family in any way. But the Queen mother's brother had about ten children and the two nieces had severe learning disabilities. So it wasn't a decision made by the Queen. It was brought to public attention again by the Crown series.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1721187.html

Page 15 of 25 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top