Join for free
Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Re: The Toms are in

. . they're charging £1.99 a metre in the GC . . .

That is very expensive-if you can store it somewhere or share? another time buy a roll.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
. . they're charging £1.99 a metre in the GC . . .

That is very expensive-if you can store it somewhere or share? another time buy a roll.
I thought so too OG . . . but it's heavy duty and will last for years . . . it's stapled to the inside support timbers . . . the whole interior is like a cocoon . . . it's amazing the heat it retains even on the coldest nights . . . . at the bottom of the GH I've stapled cardboard fillets to the timber shaped to the contours of the corrugated acrylic, a draft was blowing up and under . . . . I have two varieties of hangers BTW . . . tumbling tom and Balconi . . . will let you know how they crop and taste like come harvest time.

Seen another variety last week . . . cristal . . . what are they like ?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 10:46 AM

`Cristal`--I`ve seen it advertised but I do not pay those prices for F1 hybrids.

Have a look at this for some ideas.

http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk...es_TOMATO.html

There are other companies but that`s an example and they are reliable suppliers-and of course,with non F1 you can save the seed-
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Great link OG . . . I have a few . . . Black Cherry, Ferline F1, and Marmande . . . so you save your own seeds! . . . at £3 a packet that's a good idea.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

23-04-2010, 12:56 PM

I do save seeds and I get sent a few because I cannot grow every type I like even in three or more years. Always more to try. But you will never see Money Maker,Alicante or Ailsa Craig amongst my selection
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 04:52 PM

I was disappointed in Ailsa Craig also. OG, how about some tips on saving your own tomato seed ... I'd like to try that with Marmande.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 07:34 AM

The 3 very sorry looking tom plants I rescued from B&Q's have really picked up and growing away. I've planted the cucumber seeds and some sweetcorn, just love it. Waiting for them to appear.
nero
Central Scotland

24-04-2010, 01:18 PM

After much thought . . . and sneezing at the stink of paraffin . . . I've lead a power cable into the GH . . . I got an electric heater during the week especially for GH's and it's so much cleaner . . . the cost's about the same as paraffin . . . later on I may fit a radiator from the CH but I costed it and all in it'll be £100 . . that includes everything . . . the outside temps still dropping to nearly zero in the early hours here ATM.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
After much thought . . . and sneezing at the stink of paraffin . . . I've lead a power cable into the GH . . . I got an electric heater during the week especially for GH's and it's so much cleaner . . . the cost's about the same as paraffin . . . later on I may fit a radiator from the CH but I costed it and all in it'll be £100 . . that includes everything . . . the outside temps still dropping to nearly zero in the early hours here ATM.

Get yourself a Myson CH fan heater instead of a rad, can also be used in summer as a cooling circulator.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

24-04-2010, 04:44 PM

OG, how about some tips on saving your own tomato seed ... I'd like to try that with Marmande.

Take a couple of ripe fruit and squish out the pulp into a little dish,add a few drops of water. Leave until you get a layer of mould(said to prevent disease-I`m not sure but I do it anyway)then rinse the seeds, dry on kitchen paper and store. And don`t forget to label them.

Works every time-no problem with Marmande but remember F1* hybrids may not come true.

* The cherry type Sweet Million does because it`s classed as an F1 but for odd reasons

Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top