Join for free
Page 16 of 20 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Re: Breaking - Boris Shutsdown Parliament ..

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hope someone puts me in the picture if I am wrong.

My understanding of this at the moment is that if the cockroaches put through a motion of no confidence and win, they would still have to find a unity figure of someone to replace him. Good luck with that one!. Surely all Boris has to do if he loses the no confidence vote is to then call a General Election for after 1st November and he would be forced by the no confidence vote, to leave on the 31st October with no-deal.

So not really a front-runner I would imagine.

Their only other option seems to be via the legislative route by bringing in a new law to stop the suspension of Parliament, but they won’t have time for that to go through and will be left with only their original option of a no confidence vote.

which leaves them up the creek without a paddle, surely?

I hope it pans out that way SG, but l would'nt count my
chickens till we get the gold medal awarded by jean Claude
for being the first country to exit eu, and we can say goodbye
to all this crap!
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I really don't think it's actually all one sided I have myself heard some awful things said to remainers unforgivable things.
As for corbyn he has let me down badly I truly thought he was a thoughtful man, a peaceful man, an anti eu man. He appears to be none of them.
Thats what we call a nowhere man Julie
With nowhere to go
With nobody

Regards Donkeyman
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
There is no doubting your passionate dislike of the EU. I have no doubt either than when you voted out back in 2016 you were clear in your mind that if it took the disruption of an exit without a deal with the EU then you'd be prepared to weather that disruption to get your goal. The problem is not your commitment or consistency.
The problem is the fact that the leave campaign promoted and promised a low risk, great deal exit. That was the basis of their campaign and they studiously avoided dialogue or debate about the issues or even merits of a no deal exit. That was closed down as not possible or not possibly needed. This is all fact and record. No one can claim now it was a referendum about offering a no deal exit.
You, in your mind, may view all exits as simply that - leaving. But they are not. Each comes with merits and problems depending on your views. What was clear to all back in 2016 (the remain campaign and the leave campaign) was that if the only choice was remain or a no deal exit then the vote outcome would not have been the same.
I am not doubting your integrity. I am simply reminding all of historic record. (And leave does not infer any sort of leave. If I asked you to leave my house, I would expect you to exit via the front door. I would not, if subsequently questioned, expect you climb out the loft sky light and jump off the roof, smacking your head off the patio wall. You could not afterwards claim your injuries were my fault because you did as I requested - leave. Please, less of these 'leave means leave' empty statements.)

No it didn't. The question was leave or remain. There were no questions about deals.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

30-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The upshot of a vote of no confidence is that it could well end up triggering a general election that takes place after 31 October, meaning that a vote of no confidence on its own provides no guarantee against a no-deal Brexit.
If boris were to lose a vote of confidence and if, within the 14-day window established by the FTPA, another viable government were to emerge. (a cross-party government) he has to leave downing street 10.
But to actually do so may take time, and on october 30 the UK is thrown out of the EU.

However, next week parliament can legislate along the lines of the Cooper-Letwin Bill by requiring the pm to seek an extension of the Article 50 period. However, this would not provide any guarantees, since it would be for the European Council to decide whether to accede to such a request. Legislation that went no further than requiring the government to seek an extension would thus reduce the likelihood of, but would not rule out, a no-deal Brexit.

But, next week, or even in october, after prorogueation, parliament could legislate to revoke Article 50. Of course, politically many mps would balk at such a prospect, but such legislation would be the best means by which parliament could absolutely guarantee against a no-deal brexit.
]So, the race is not run, not by a long way.

Thanks for putting our minds at rest Solly, perhaps you should
be posting on against brexit forum, they seem to be entering
new levels of hysteria?

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

30-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
It's happened before when 17.4 million believed the spite and anger brigade instead of using their brain.
Dont we have some sort of rule that a government cant sit
for more than five years or something, l think it is
automatic as well, so Boris has no chance of becoming
a dictator!!
The spite and anger seems to be coming from the vested
interest side of the argument SO FAR?
Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No it didn't. The question was leave or remain. There were no questions about deals.
But it is there in article 50. Your parliament invoked it, voted to invoke it. Are you telling me now that your parliament voted without reading, without knowing what they voted for. What they were getting the UK into? What kind of parliament/party does that to their citizens?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:14 PM

**Bickering removed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Boris doesn't have to resign either.

Just been looking at the numbers and I can't see a vote of no confidence getting through. There would have to be the second vote after that (2 weeks) and if that passes Boris calls a GE for 7th November (which I think he will do anyway) and we are out.

Boris then cleans up in the GE.
Thanks for that info Bread.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The upshot of a vote of no confidence is that it could well end up triggering a general election that takes place after 31 October, meaning that a vote of no confidence on its own provides no guarantee against a no-deal Brexit.
If boris were to lose a vote of confidence and if, within the 14-day window established by the FTPA, another viable government were to emerge. (a cross-party government) he has to leave downing street 10.
But to actually do so may take time, and on october 30 the UK is thrown out of the EU.

However, next week parliament can legislate along the lines of the Cooper-Letwin Bill by requiring the pm to seek an extension of the Article 50 period. However, this would not provide any guarantees, since it would be for the European Council to decide whether to accede to such a request. Legislation that went no further than requiring the government to seek an extension would thus reduce the likelihood of, but would not rule out, a no-deal Brexit.

But, next week, or even in october, after prorogueation, parliament could legislate to revoke Article 50. Of course, politically many mps would balk at such a prospect, but such legislation would be the best means by which parliament could absolutely guarantee against a no-deal brexit.
]So, the race is not run, not by a long way.
Thanks for that information Solasch.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-08-2019, 07:13 PM

It's hard to keep up with events as they happen.

I do notice however, that the most vehement people who are advocating action against Brexit (forget no-deal, that is just a useful tool to use in their efforts for us to remain) are people who know that their ministerial careers are over.

Look who we have -

Anne Soubrey - Never in a million years will her constituents re-elect her.

Oliver Letwin - Not standing again.

Ken Clarke - Retired

Dominic Grieves - Twice lost vote of confidence by his constituency party, Now they want him deselected for working against his own party.

Hammond - Arch Remainer. After his dirty tricks over the last three years trying to thwart Brexit, unlikely would ever win again. Leave vote in his constituency 49.85% Remain vote was 50.15%. Now there is a narrow win for Remain if ever there was one. Maybe the leave voters shouldn't have accepted the result.

What have these has-beens got to lose?

I look forward to many more joining them.

Page 16 of 20 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top