Join for free
Page 16 of 55 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

Am reading 'Savages' by Shirley Conran, 3/4 of the way through and am enjoying it.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-11-2011, 06:33 PM

For a change a nice automated phone call this morning from our library service.
The long awaited book is awaiting my collection.

The Barbed-Wire University: The Real Lives of Prisoners of War in the Second World War by Midge Gillies.

It is a hefty tome by any standards so I need to get weaving to read it all within the time allotted.

From the first few pages, it seems a good read.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Just curious, Hammer: how long can you keep the book? Here it used to be a month for a regular and two weeks for a new one; then changed to three weeks for all, regardless.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Just curious, Hammer: how long can you keep the book? Here it used to be a month for a regular and two weeks for a new one; then changed to three weeks for all, regardless.
It is three weeks for us as well Eileen.
No chance of renewing the loan as there is a substantial reserve list for this particular book.
The trouble with me is that I often have to read the same section two or three times to make sure I have got it all.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 09:23 PM

We have the no-renewal policy on new books also. I don't recall, are you a dim viewer about Kindles? Some people just don't want one. I agree, free from the library is better than paying, but sometimes it's nice to have a book you can return to and re-read.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
We have the no-renewal policy on new books also. I don't recall, are you a dim viewer about Kindles? Some people just don't want one. I agree, free from the library is better than paying, but sometimes it's nice to have a book you can return to and re-read.
I often keep looking at them and thinking of trying one for a while but Mrs H is an avid reader and will not be swayed from the feel, look and even the smell of a book.

Our little shoe box of a house is full of them and to be honest she reads them over and over again.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

01-11-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm sure she and I would get along well. As I mentioned in other threads, I lived in an 8 room house and there was a bookcase in every room but the living room and bathrooms! It took weeks to box them all up for donation. Maybe treat yourself to a Kindle for Christmas? That's what I did, and love it; I'd have gone mad in hospital without it.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 04:14 PM

pecked to death by ducks by tim cahill

very funny stories of journeys, this books go from the highest free fall to the deepest caves along with grizzly bears and Aussies
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen

A friend lent me this book so I suppose I have to read it so that he can discuss his views with me.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Just discovered Peter James. Don't normally go for crime type books, but have enjoyed reading his; just finished 'Dead Like You'.

Page 16 of 55 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top