Join for free
Page 18 of 79 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 12:55 AM

Re: What do you remember???

Originally Posted by Moli ->
Now why didn't I have one of those!
Maybe too young, Moli?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe too young, Moli?
Oooh! first time someone has said I am too young for somethingThanks for that Mags...
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 02:22 AM

Well I remember the ice man and the milk man. Guess that dates me or should I say someone just told me about that. haha
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 03:22 AM

Oh yes, the ice man and the milk man ... and he did fresh eggs too!
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh yes, the ice man and the milk man ... and he did fresh eggs too!
Someone told you about that too??
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 03:48 AM

I used to wait in the alley for the ice man to come by on a hot summer day... if you asked nicely he'd chip off a nice big piece of ice to suck on... and his horse was lovely; Mom used to give me a sugar lump to give to the horse.

I suppose today people would be horrified at that.... who knows what germs may be lurking in that ice that possibly came from some unsterile water!
buzzie
USA

11-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I used to wait in the alley for the ice man to come by on a hot summer day... if you asked nicely he'd chip off a nice big piece of ice to suck on... and his horse was lovely; Mom used to give me a sugar lump to give to the horse.

I suppose today people would be horrified at that.... who knows what germs may be lurking in that ice that possibly came from some unsterile water!
Remember how the cream on the top of the milk would build up and freeze over the top of the bottle. I remember watching the cat lick it and we still brought it in and drank every bit. We're still here Eileen??
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

11-12-2009, 04:24 AM

Oh yes I remember that, it would freeze up. expand and push the paper top off!
We were a tough breed, as you say we're still here and kicking! It probably primed our immune systems

Oh, been meaning to tell you, my very best friend in grade school and most of high school was named Joan too ... good vibes with the name!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 12:20 PM

I remember being taught to walk, Dad put me on his feet and would walk me round the kitchen table and then I remember taking my first steps! Remember too my first day going to school. Mum sent me for rolls and I had two - dipped in my tea - and then her taking me with my wee best pal and her Mum and another wee boy from round the corner, to school - I was the only child not crying when I left my Mum at the school gates!! I was as happy as Larry!! Free at last! Mum never bothered taking me after that. The school was just next door anyway!! She would come along at play time though with a cup of hot Bovril - smashing!! Great in the winter days!

I also used to skip out of school at the afternoon play time (thru' a wide railing I could get thru) to buy a penny's worth of shrimps from the man who came round with a barrow full of shrimps and wilks! I loved the shrimps and would take the head and shell off and eat them in class and the teacher would be so angry!!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 01:38 PM

I was just looking through this thread and kept saying 'Oh yes I remember that'. I had a mangle and a baby burco, I used camay soap and wore navy knickers for PE. I remember the rag and bone man. I even remember big white £5 notes, and ten shilling notes.

I remember drinking milk that had been left over from morning break, by the time we drank it it was warm where it had stood in a classroom all day. I was sent to buy milk from the local shop and that had stood in the crate in the shop all day even in the summer.

I remember being sent to buy bread from the same shop, it was uncut and uncovered and I would break bits off to eat before I got it home.

I remember listening to Family Favourites on the radio on Sunday when they talked to BFPO and played records for the families. During that programme I can remember helping to make the yorkshire pudding for dinner and hoping that mum would make some cakes for tea.

I remember Jubblies that were frozen orange water, I loved them and can still remember buying them for 4d to eat on the way home from school.

Page 18 of 79 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top