Join for free
Page 187 of 505 « First < 87 137 177 185 186 187 188 189 197 237 287 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

China is nearly back to normal by the sound of it. That's how many months five?
New cases seem to be only people from overseas arriving.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 11:11 AM

Most of us have been told to self isolate. They want to test everyone if possible. How are they going to test those on self isolation.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
China is nearly back to normal by the sound of it. That's how many months five?
New cases seem to be only people from overseas arriving.
Certainly they seem to have got on top of it after a bit of a slow start (only 34 new cases yesterday) but is the west prepared to implement the draconian policies they enacted?

I suppose we have to accept that 5 months of disruption is the minimum we can hope for.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 11:55 AM

I don't think we can use other countries as models to calculate what the outcome will be here in the UK. With only 104 reported deaths from a total of 2626 reported cases I believe Boris is doing all the right things.

The way to stop a virus is to isolate it, and because it's carried by humans, preventing travel and close contact is the best way to do that. Due to the large amount of people movement Big Cities and towns are going to be rife with the virus once it has been identified, so a quick response to limit gatherings and travel is paramount.

Boris's quick response might seem like over reacting, but what we do today will pay dividends in two weeks. Also the number of recoveries is beginning to climb each day, and I can only see this improving in the near future. 2626 infected people in a population of 68 million'ish is not a large amount of people, so if we can identify any future infected areas hopefully we can shut those down and isolate them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 12:00 PM

The problem is that you don't know whether a measure has worked for a couple of weeks.

If a measure is successful you can't win either because people will say that the very measure(s) that kept the problem under control are an over reaction because the problem was actually less than expected.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
London is named as a disaster spot the virus is rampant.

Tube stations are being shut.

Bus are being cut back.

Death toll is 102.

[Mod edit: personal comment removed]

Good news is my daughter has to work from home she does not have to use the Tube.
London and the big cities are always going to be the worst affected Galty. By closing down the transport systems, pubs, theatres and restaurants is in my opinion the best approach to preventing the spread of the disease and not necessarily because there are many infected people in London, more to prevent the odd one or two who are infected from giving it to others.

Glad to hear your daughter can work from home Galty, take care, and I'm sure we will both be contributing to the forum in a year from now...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-03-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The problem is that you don't know whether a measure has worked for a couple of weeks.
Yes that's true Bruce, but I don't think the authorities can overreact in a situation like this. 'Shock and Awe' nip it in the bud before it does get out of control...I look forward to seeing positive results in a couple of weeks from Boris's speedy reaction....Stay Covid free my Ausie friend...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-03-2020, 12:07 PM

If a measure is successful you can't win either because people will say that the very measure(s) that kept the problem under control are an over reaction because the problem was actually less than expected.
Something that Boris will have to deal with Bruce....As long as the outcome isn't too costly in human life, who cares...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think we can use other countries as models to calculate what the outcome will be here in the UK. With only 104 reported deaths from a total of 2626 reported cases I believe Boris is doing all the right things.
Eh? That is a 4% mortality rate bang on average for the whole globe (which includes countries like Iran). I would have thought that showed he was doing the minimum and that the result was no better than anywhere else.

I am not being critical but let's not get too carried away.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Eh? That is a 4% mortality rate bang on average for the whole globe (which includes countries like Iran). I would have thought that showed he was doing the minimum and that the result was no better than anywhere else.

I am not being critical but let's not get too carried away.
It's all about timing Bruce only time will tell how it will unfold but I still think Boris has got it covered so far....

Page 187 of 505 « First < 87 137 177 185 186 187 188 189 197 237 287 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top