Join for free
Page 19 of 370 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Bad luck OGF! Pleased to read there were no injuries. I know the pain from some falls can sometimes set in after a few minutes. If you did your run after that, it looks like everything is OK.

Might get a few pains as a result of the impact and automatic flexing of the muscles that happens when the body falls. Don't want to sound 'doom and gloom' but tomorrow will tell.

Probably just a one-off. An occupational hazard maybe? A bit like I have fallen off the bike a few times. That's how I know about the 'next morning' syndrome that can happen after taking a tumble.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 12:15 PM

Crikey OGF that sounded scary
Pleased to hear you were unharmed.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just set a personal worst for this year.
I took a tumble in the first quarter mile as I went to step off the kerb, next thing I remember was rolling on the road in front of a startled Land Rover Discovery driver.
I immediately leapt to my feet as the driver was just climbing out of his vehicle. He asked if I needed help, but I assured him I was okay and jogged on. After completing a quick check I was surprised to find no injuries, not even a grazed knee.
Feeling a little shook up I carried on, everything seemed to be working, so I led out into the country at a careful pace. The steady pace continued for the rest of the eight mile course, I had no desire to speed up and it turned out to be a very enjoyable run. Better watch out in the future though, was it just lack of concentration? Or something more sinister?
It crosses my mind quite often that one slip could mean curtains when running on certain roads - especially where there are no pavements and I'm running in to on-coming traffic. I think, as time goes by, I will seek out the safer routes to follow.

Glad you were unscathed .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the good wishes folks, as it happens Mart I think you may be right about the after effects. My right hip seems to be bruised, I only noticed after sitting for a while watching F1 and got up to walk. It seems to have stiffened up a bit now.

Not a run day tomorrow but have got a walk planned, see how it goes then....

Yes Mark, safety has always been a concern of mine about running on the roads. I always try to make sure there is an escape route if I can't see the whites of an oncoming drivers eyes. I'm always ready to fling myself onto the verge or into the hedge should the need arise.

Cheers Rachel, it left me wondering for a while (what's going on!)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 07:26 AM

The last fall off my bike was caused by the front wheel going over a wet tree root. We know these are a hazard but I didn't spot this one. I went down without any great force but it was my rib-cage that took the impact.

I got up and dusted myself down and didn't hurt at all. I thought the only damage was a broken bracket that holds a two-way radio on the handlebars. I even went out in the evening.

Next day though, my ribs didn't half hurt! What's more, it took a few weeks before the pain was mostly gone. Just shows that we don't heal so quickly as we get older and I'm now less inclined to take the chances in off-road riding that I might have taken when younger.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The last fall off my bike was caused by the front wheel going over a wet tree root. We know these are a hazard but I didn't spot this one. I went down without any great force but it was my rib-cage that took the impact.

I got up and dusted myself down and didn't hurt at all. I thought the only damage was a broken bracket that holds a two-way radio on the handlebars. I even went out in the evening.

Next day though, my ribs didn't half hurt! What's more, it took a few weeks before the pain was mostly gone. Just shows that we don't heal so quickly as we get older and I'm now less inclined to take the chances in off-road riding that I might have taken when younger.
It can catch you out for sure - whether you are injured or not that is after taking a fall.

I fell during a run and came down on my front left side with my chest taking the impact. I quickly got back on my feet and carried on running to catch my mate up. Chest hurt a little but I wasn't overly concerned. Later on I took a look in the mirror and the left side of my chest had collapsed - I had snapped the whole rib cage where it joins the sternum. I never had it fixed though and over the years it has regained some of it's original shape but there is a sharp bone sticking down into my belly region and the rib cage is misshapen. Why didn't I get it fixed? I was told to get into A&E rapidly by a nurse of long standing but was fobbed off with excuses by a very junior doctor as the place was so very over crowded (it seemed to me). I couldn't sleep on my back for at least 12 months and even now 10 years on it still gives me problems.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

05-07-2016, 06:25 AM

Yes, I don't think the long-term results of broken bones ever completely go away. My Father broke some ribs and suffered alot. I broke my knee-cap into 3 bits 31 years ago (a fall) and that still makes its presence known occasionally.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 06:50 AM

That is the flip side of this fitness thing, at 30,000+ paces a day, the risk of a fall or trip is greatly enhanced, the result of which, could permanently effect the rest of a lifetime, you can't afford to take your eye off the ball.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Glad to report no long term injuries from the tumble, and last Sunday's eight mile run - although taken slow, was a very enjoyable outing. It seems as if a hard run is followed by an easy run, and to emphasise this Tuesday's six was only ten seconds short of a years best time, however, this morning's run was a labour of love and even on the first mile my legs felt heavy with sweat forming on my forehead.
I managed to drag my sorry arse round the eight mile course to finish in a not too embarrassing time, but I was glad to see the end. So today will be a relaxed affair catching up with yesterday's recording of the Tour de France. I usually plan a long walk on Friday's, but I think a rest this week is in order to catch up with some jobs Mrs Fox has been nagging on about for a while. It seems that I retired from one job, only to be enrolled into another. Only the boss has changed......I sometimes wonder what life would have been like if I'd remained single, I certainly would have spent less time behind a paint brush. These days she only wants me for my decorating and DIY skills and I've so much more to offer......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

09-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Pleased to read you aren't hurting OGF.

I haven't been doing the bike rides lately. The reason being that our usual meeting point and bike route has been closed while the Airshow is on. Also, our grandson is staying with us for a couple of weeks and he's not too much into bike riding. Been doing lots of brisk walking though. About 14 miles this week so far. Another 3 miles expected tomorrow.

I sometimes think that walking can be as good as anything so long as effort is put into it. It will have to do for now anyway.

Page 19 of 370 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top