Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Re: How lonely for some !!!

There are 2 places near me that help elderly people.

One runs a small bus to take them shopping once a week, and does games, talks, and has a small tea rooms with a 1940's theme. This organisation also has a handy man service and can help with some gardening jobs, and even takes them for pub lunches on Sundays.
I used to work for them for a while, helping to get people to day centres for a hot meal.

The second place is similar, but teaches computers and has guest speakers for talks, and also runs a 'Befriender' service, which does short visits to have a chat with elderly people in their own homes.

It must seem a long, long day when nobody ever comes.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:33 PM

It is sad that so many elderly are lonely but I often wonder why churches don't do more to help. If every church hall opened it doors to the elderly, for tea and biscuits once a week, and asked the congregation for help to get them there or to encourage them to chat, it would cost very little. I am sure the old people would be happy to pay a small sum for the tea and biscuits too. The churches may even increase their own congregation, if they made it seem more of a social gathering.
I have no religious beliefs but I would certainly be happy to help at one of these meetings if it made a few old people happy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Does it make you wonder what will happen to us one day?
How will we end up?
Do you know whether you will stay at home or go into care?

I do think about this sometimes, especially being on my own.
I don't dwell on it, because it's depressing, but I know it will happen one day, and it scares me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It is sad that so many elderly are lonely but I often wonder why churches don't do more to help. If every church hall opened it doors to the elderly, for tea and biscuits once a week, and asked the congregation for help to get them there or to encourage them to chat, it would cost very little. I am sure the old people would be happy to pay a small sum for the tea and biscuits too. The churches may even increase their own congregation, if they made it seem more of a social gathering.
I have no religious beliefs but I would certainly be happy to help at one of these meetings if it made a few old people happy.
As I posted many do round here, I'd be surprised if ours are alone.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:54 PM

I think this particular Gents biggest problem is He has never ever lived alone in His Life and is finding it difficult to do so now His Wife has died..He's also still grieving.

My situation is different as I was used to living and coping on My Own a few times in My Younger Life due to divorce and being widowed twice...when My Man died 22 yrs ago,I had My job,youngest Daughter still lived with Me,My Sisters /Friends were all still alive,and the first of My Grandchildren had been born,I had a great social Life,so life was very busy never enough hours in the day....now that has all changed..I just got older,but luckily enough I love My quiet simple Life now...it suits Me fine...thank goodness...what happens in the future..I'll deal with..,as always..Just hope the old mind doesn't go doolally,THAT will be Someone elses prob'
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As I posted many do round here, I'd be surprised if ours are alone.
There are 5 churches within a mile of where I live, but none offer this kind of help. There is an estate of about 50 pensioner bungalows about 100 yards from the church ,where we all vote. I don't know the minister of that church but I think the most Christian thing he could do would be to invite all the local old folk to the church hall for a Christmas get together. Many years ago when I went to church we used to have an evening where all the older members of the community were invited to dinner in the church hall and they were never short of volunteers to cook, serve and entertain the old folk. I was a teenage waitress and enjoyed it as much as the old folk did.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
There are 5 churches within a mile of where I live, but none offer this kind of help. There is an estate of about 50 pensioner bungalows about 100 yards from the church ,where we all vote. I don't know the minister of that church but I think the most Christian thing he could do would be to invite all the local old folk to the church hall for a Christmas get together. Many years ago when I went to church we used to have an evening where all the older members of the community were invited to dinner in the church hall and they were never short of volunteers to cook, serve and entertain the old folk. I was a teenage waitress and enjoyed it as much as the old folk did.
That's sad although I guess a church is only as good and helpful as the people who use it, perhaps they just don't realise there is a need ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's sad although I guess a church is only as good and helpful as the people who use it, perhaps they just don't realise there is a need ?
You may be right. I live close to another church's vicar... I may pop round and ask her if they have ever considered the idea
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does it make you wonder what will happen to us one day?
How will we end up?
Do you know whether you will stay at home or go into care?

I do think about this sometimes, especially being on my own.
I don't dwell on it, because it's depressing, but I know it will happen one day, and it scares me.
Already made contingency plans. That's why we moved to the Canaries. We plan to move to independent living residencies either here or even America. Still searching the world at the moment.

Don't want to burden anyone. Most of all family.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Very wise Goldi.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top