Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Re: Old People’s Words, Phrases And Sayings?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All I recall is that for me it was a matter of both pain and humiliation as the punishment was meted out in front of the whole class!

But then you were one of the gang and it only stung for a few minutes.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
And there weren't no HSE to protect the recipient.

Or any standard for the executor to abide by, enter the EU.
Quite true, just the thickest exercise book you could find!

The standard was usually clearing one row of desks, leaving just one. The the 'run-up' was from the end of what was the end of that row right up to the last one where the recipient would be bent over the desk awaiting punishment!

All the class looked on too, almost all wincing when the thwack came!

I am sure my maths teacher was a sadist as he was always smiling afterwards!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 10:26 PM

The class by and large found the debacle amusing, that is what is wrong with society.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
But then you were one of the gang and it only stung for a few minutes.
As maybe but the effects lasted for years, it's now 58 years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday!
Baz46

03-08-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The class by and large found the debacle amusing, that is what is wrong with society.
Yes, until it was one of them on the receiving-end, then the story was different!

There was worse though when it was the cane being used, that was more painful and left big red weals on the affected area!

Today that would be assault and that teacher would be finding himself in court and probably later dismissed!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 10:39 PM

As maybe but the effects lasted for years, it's now 58 years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday!

Really? I also remember it, but it was no big deal, maybe I should soften up.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 11:03 PM

Yes, until it was one of them on the receiving-end, then the story was different!

There was worse though when it was the cane being used, that was more painful and left big red weals on the affected area!

Today that would be assault and that teacher would be finding himself in court and probably later dismissed!
I had a heated argument with another member here regarding corporal punishment so I guess it's "here we go again". One kid whacking another in a fair fight (by size and age) in the playground is one thing. But even back then, an adult - any adult - laying into a kid- with an implement - in front of his/her peers - AND enjoying it, is an effing lowlife who should not only find his/herself fired and in court but prison as well..in general population. Nothing funny about child assault. nothing funny at all. However!..back on track :-

Things old people say here. Say over 95 years old

"Cobber"
"Sheila"
"By Jove it's raining like steam"
"What they need is a good stint in the army"
"I bet that cost a few quid"
"You could do with a haircut tiger"
"IT's a blessed disgrace!" etc etc...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:11 AM

"No better than she should be"

"All Fur coat and no knickers"

"A penny for your thoughts"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:42 AM

I stayed some time with my great Aunt up in the Derbyshire hills , She used to say ' I'm taitered me wench' at the end of the day...

She had lots of strange sayings , I doubt many could understand the things she said these days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Calling people 'Dear'

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top