Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Re: Is It Me ?

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Wonder why he referred to his colour - why not Mr. Bloggs ?
Sorry dont get it ......
It's possible that the fact that he is black is significant in terms of genetic predisposition to some diseases. If it wasn't relevant, then I agree he should just have been Mr. Bloggs.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Good point ..... We dont know the ins and outs of it .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
It's possible that the fact that he is black is significant in terms of genetic predisposition to some diseases. If it wasn't relevant, then I agree he should just have been Mr. Bloggs.
Whilst that is a good point I would still think black is the correct word not negro unless the person is actually from that area of the world with a disease prevalent only in his area.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 01:20 PM

I would be interested to know in what context the word was used, it may have been in a clinical context and was overheard.

There are certain diseases specific to ethnicity.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Sickle cell I believe
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 03:44 PM

I honestly don't know what to be saying nowadays without offending someone or something, so I mostly keep me mouth shut when dodgy subjects appear, words we were taught, even in school, can no longer be used, it's hard to keep up with what is the right thing to say, everyone is so easily offended these days, God help them when they have to face real trouble and hardships, trouble don't care if you're black or white, years ago we would shrug the names off and say 'Sticks and Stones', didn't do us any harm, is this the meek taking over the world?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Well it's always been a bit like that, people who don't want to offend have generally tried not to use descriptions of people that might upset them. A question came up on another forum the other day asking if it was offensive to call someone fat, I answered when would you need to say it ? as most of us are aware we are fat it doesn't need pointing out to us.

If you don't want to offend then it's often better to not say too much I find
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Can you tell us exactly who chastised the consultant and what his "ethnic group" is by any chance?

From past experiences of this nonsense many of will not be the least bit surprised if it is a white person again or a white-dominated group.

Over the years I've heard so many people of different ethnics groups than complaining that white liberals are speaking up for them when there really is not a problem and they frequently say that drawing attention publicly to stupid nit-picking rubbish like this only makes things worse for them.

I remember being at school and black & asian schoolfriends saying they preferred to be called black, not coloured.

In the US the authorities frequently refer to 'Caucasians' so should white people being referred to in that way feel insulted? stevmk2
I agree with your comments Steve - it does tend to be white people who are more sensitive to this than anyone. I had a Muslim friend where I used to live in Bournville and it was around the time when all this 'Christmas festivities may offend XYZ) but she always decorated their shop with a tree, baubles and tinsel. She would have her regular customers in on the last day of business (shop would be closed to all intents and purposes) and she had baked a Christmas cake, mince pies (she was very skilled with the cooking) and sandwiches as a thank you to her customers.

Maybe the reference to Negro may have had something to do with the man's condition or suspected condition as I do know that Negroes are susceptible to some conditions that white people are not (black men are more likely to develop prostate problems, Africans and Asians are more likely to develop lupus than any other race - that kind of thing) so when he used the term, it may have been relevant but then taken out of context.

On the Isle of Man, the locals will still call them colourds and look puzzled if you tell them they shouldn't!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-12-2013, 04:29 PM

The use of the word coloured is an odd one for me, I know we should be incensed by it but when my youngest nephew came home from school told of for using the term about himself I was more angry with the school than him. To him it made perfect sense his Dad was black, his mum was white and he was somewhere on the spectrum between so called himself coloured. So it's more complicated to me than many terms.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:41 PM

I don't feel incensed by the word being used, it just surprised me when I moved here to hear it. As long as a word isn't used in a derogatory manner, I think I feel okay with most words (although if someone comes along and says 'what about this word' - I might change my mind ).

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top