Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Re: Somerset Levels.

This year has seen worse than ever flooding in every area affected. I think it's time to do something sensible like building a reservoir in the area to take the overflow from the rivers, that way the water would be a resource rather than a nuisance. The levels could still be a wildfowl reserve. They could put an inland beach next to the reservoir and a water-based theme park thus bringing tourism into the area and giving the tourist somewhere to go where the weather doesn't matter. Anyone giving up land could be offered shares!
I did suggest this to certain people but of course got ignored.
Here's what works very well in the US:
http://www.quassy.com/
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 02:00 PM

I think you're right. When you look at the numbers affected and the long term economic and social consequences I think Devon and Cornwall really are suffering much more and much more in need of charity or state funding.

Going back to the somerset levels and for what it's worth I think Prince Charles probably has friends on the Somerset levels - why did he arrive first?

I do feel sorry for the farmers and their livestock. I was talking to a farmer's son the other day and he said the problem is land owners aren't farming the land it is tenant farmers who don't value the land quite as much, good farmers ensure their drains and ditches are kept clear and fields ploughed to provide drainage rather than the cheaper job of rolling - which of course the hard rain runs straight off.

We live in a rapidly changing world - both physically and socially. We have to wake up to that fact rather than just throwing money at it trying to appease a few who have the tools to cause a lot of dust.

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Think you have to ask yourselves are the people in Cornwall and Devon any less deserving and in a lot more danger.

Why all the bleeding hearts about the Somerset Levels when the rest of the South West is suffering even worse.

With the rail link destroyed on the South Coast the cost to industry in Devon and Cornwell is about £5 million a day.

There is another storm forecast for today and the worry is that the already weakened sea defences on the South Coast will not be able to stand up to it and homes will be washed away, time will tell.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
This year has seen worse than ever flooding in every area affected. I think it's time to do something sensible like building a reservoir in the area to take the overflow from the rivers, that way the water would be a resource rather than a nuisance. The levels could still be a wildfowl reserve. They could put an inland beach next to the reservoir and a water-based theme park thus bringing tourism into the area and giving the tourist somewhere to go where the weather doesn't matter. Anyone giving up land could be offered shares!
Seems sensible, water is an important resource,it worked at Kielder in my county. It was built to supply Teeside as they thought industry would expand in that area.

Never happened but now the area is important for tourism, wildlife and means we are covered in times of drought. Rare up here but seems that it has occurred several times in the South of late.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 04:09 PM

think the government should help then instead of sending foreign aid, after all we pay their wages not the overseas people who have their own governments to help them
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I think you're right. When you look at the numbers affected and the long term economic and social consequences I think Devon and Cornwall really are suffering much more and much more in need of charity or state funding.

Going back to the somerset levels and for what it's worth I think Prince Charles probably has friends on the Somerset levels - why did he arrive first?

I do feel sorry for the farmers and their livestock. I was talking to a farmer's son the other day and he said the problem is land owners aren't farming the land it is tenant farmers who don't value the land quite as much, good farmers ensure their drains and ditches are kept clear and fields ploughed to provide drainage rather than the cheaper job of rolling - which of course the hard rain runs straight off.

We live in a rapidly changing world - both physically and socially. We have to wake up to that fact rather than just throwing money at it trying to appease a few who have the tools to cause a lot of dust.

Charlie the turd only went to Somerset because he's attempting to protect his own interests. As Duke of Cornwall, he has tenant farmers and who owe him money for their land. He also has lots of interest in other bits of land which have now been built on and has tenants in the houses.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 10:56 AM

think it is time the government remembered we pay their wages not people in places like Syria who pay their governments to help them not us..the government should help dreg the rivers, it might not have solved the problem this year but it would have helped, and yes it would help if the farmers went back to hedge and ditch instead of large fields
but few of us know how these days
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Ironic really when part of Victoria and South Australia are ablaze you are under water. I could do with 100mm of rain any time you want to send it my way.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 12:20 PM

If there was a way to send you our rain Bruce matey, you could have it with the greatest of pleasure, and we'll have your nice warm sunshine instead.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Hmmm, Twizard that seems far too sensible to ever be adopted!!!
We'd rather throw good money after bad and achieve bu***r all!!!
Jazziwoz
Lincs, UK
Jazziwoz is female 

19-02-2014, 09:02 AM

http://dailyhawk.co.uk/2014/02/14/af...re-any-longer/

Thought you might appreciate this tongue-in-cheek view!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top