Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Re: They Have a Valid Point.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What a ridiculous attitude, religion has no place in business. Do they not sell to anyone with different beliefs? Why just pick on one section of society, when they could show intolerant bias to everybody? I'm an atheist, would they refuse to bake me a cake? They certainly don't deserve to succeed with such a ridiculous attitude to business.
If I understand the case correctly, the customer wanted to order cake with the slogan “support gay marriage”. The Christian bakers didn't refuse to serve the customer because he was gay or bake a cake for him - they refused to bake a cake endorsing gay marriage which their religious beliefs do not condone.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:23 PM

I have little patience with silly things like this, because both parties were trying to make a point.
If the couple didn't want to make the cake they should have said so at the beginning because they are entitled to refuse work and the gay man could have got his cake elsewhere, where there was less sensitivity.
The gay man was trying to demonstrate that prejudice was being displayed, but as Gay marriage was not legal in N Ireland it was not.
I don't support either side because both were being petty, but I do wonder whether catholic staff, working at a pharmacy, were expected to sell condoms when the Catholic church saw birth control as being evil.
Religion causes more problems than anything else and I am afraid that laws of the country are being changed to accommodate them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
If I understand the case correctly, the customer wanted to order cake with the slogan “support gay marriage”. The Christian bakers didn't refuse to serve the customer because he was gay or bake a cake for him - they refused to bake a cake endorsing gay marriage which their religious beliefs do not condone.
Just splitting hairs......
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:39 PM

..... or are others making a mountain out of a molehill .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 07:42 PM

Then the stupid man should have gone elsewhere for his cake. I just wonder if any other baker would have done as he asked, seeing as gay marriage was not legal there!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Then the stupid man should have gone elsewhere for his cake. I just wonder if any other baker would have done as he asked, seeing as gay marriage was not legal there!
Exactly .....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Originally Posted by Omah ->
Exactly .....
It really doesn't make any difference, the business is there to provide a service for payment, not police the morality of others. They purport to be christian, so whatever happened to tolerance and forgiveness, or is that just reserved for like minded people?.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Tittle tattle over cakes and what to put on them, with lent coming up where do we stand with 'Hot CROSS Buns'?, where will it all end I ask meself.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 08:21 PM

A lot of people, including me, don't believe in same sex marriages. To me a marriage is between a man and a woman. Having said that I don't have strong feelings about it unlike the baker. Yet the law of the land insists that they go against their ' quite reasonable' belief, IMO that cannot be right. They haven't condemned same sex partnerships, just same sex marriage which they refuse to promote.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-02-2016, 09:18 PM

It really doesn't make any difference, the business is there to provide a service for payment, not police the morality of others. They purport to be christian, so whatever happened to tolerance and forgiveness, or is that just reserved for like minded people?.
Gareth Lee, the gay rights activist whose order was declined, is the one who has brought the bakers to court - where's his "tolerance and forgiveness" .....

I guess "tolerance and forgiveness" just aren't on his agenda .....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top