Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Re: Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When we had our bathroom done we looked at quotes from various companies and went for a British company with British workers, they did a lovely job were polite, kind and helpful. Only thing differed between them and the polish companies giving quotes was cost. Now call me a fool by all means but I like to know the workers are being paid a reasonable wage and I wasn't convinced the cheaper quotes were going to pay their workers a decent wage.
Applause from me, Julie.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
They often do a better job than their British counterparts!
I hope you don't mind me saying this?

What a load of unsubstantiated crap.

My workload is 20% putting things right that foreign builders have done wrong or not to building regs.

I do wish people would stop making things up.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When we had our bathroom done we looked at quotes from various companies and went for a British company with British workers, they did a lovely job were polite, kind and helpful. Only thing differed between them and the polish companies giving quotes was cost. Now call me a fool by all means but I like to know the workers are being paid a reasonable wage and I wasn't convinced the cheaper quotes were going to pay their workers a decent wage.
I agree, Julie. We (Sweden) have had several scandals. That's the dilemma. We've terminated contracts and sent the workers packing because we couldn't accept the fact that their own countrymen were cheating them and that they were (therefore) living on far less money than was legally allowed (in Sweden). So we put them out of work!

I actually put my neck out once. I've gone through the details so many times already that I don't want to do it now again. The short version is that I contacted the EU commission, employment division to inform them of the outrageous practice of "agentura" in Slovakia (my wife's country) in taking 50% of workers wages for as long as they hold the job. That is to say FOREVER. Alas, I was informed that employment practices are a national matter and that the EU has nothing to say about it.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
..... My workload is 20% putting things right that foreign builders have done wrong or not to building regs.
I've suffered personally from some of that. The scaffolding crew from Hungary killed three of my bonsai trees on my balcony because they moved them, not know what the ***** they were doing. I specifically told them to wait half an hour so that I'd be home to move them myself! But they payed no heed. Five years of work down the **** tube!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:21 PM

They often do a better job than their British counterparts!
I hope you don't mind me saying this?

What a load of unsubstantiated crap.

My workload is 20% putting things right that foreign builders have done wrong or not to building regs.

I do wish people would stop making things up.
There are good and bad tradesmen of all nationalities. I don't think it is fair to imply that any particular nationality does a better job than any other. There are a lot of rogues, British and foreign.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
There are good and bad tradesmen of all nationalities. I don't think it is fair to imply that any particular nationality does a better job than any other. There are a lot of rogues, British and foreign.
I agree.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2016, 03:23 PM

I agree.
Then why the sweeping statement that contradicts the above?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:32 PM

Then why the sweeping statement that contradicts the above?
It doesn't contradict it. There are no doubt some bad foreign workers too, but I reckon there are a lot more British ones, of which I have had experience!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2016, 03:51 PM

You chose them.

British tradesmen(not odd job men)work to some of the strictest regs in Europe and are more closely scrutinised than their EU counterparts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 04:04 PM

You chose them.

British tradesmen(not odd job men)work to some of the strictest regs in Europe and are more closely scrutinised than their EU counterparts.
Very true we used a couple of sites like rated people and sought people with good reputations. Got several quotes etc before making a choice.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top