Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Re: Grandma's lodgers

My Auntie Sigrid came here after the war to settle, she was pregnant (raped by a German SAS man) her village hated her for having the baby even though it wasn't her fault she was pregnant. She faced less prejudice here than she did in her own village ! Luckily she met my Great Uncle and they married after she had her baby. Lived a long happy life here. Something I was always proud of our nation for was taking in people in trouble when they needed a home.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:51 AM

On the darker side, I think a number of German war criminals came to settle in Ireland where they could 'disappear' rather than face prosecution.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
On the darker side, I think a number of German war criminals came to settle in Ireland where they could 'disappear' rather than face prosecution.
I think they came here too I remember Auntie Sigrid going deathly pale in a shop in Kent back in the 70s she had to be helped home and it turned out she had seen a man who executed several young girls in her village when they were caught distributing leaflets. Openly brazenly wandering around Tonbridge Wells !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 12:09 PM

On the lighter side, you just reminded me of a story I heard many years ago Ania.
During the last world war a German parachutist landed in a field near a village in Cork, he was to contact a spy there by the name of Murphy, there are an awful lot of Murphys in Cork, he buried his parachute and donned farmers garb then headed towards the village, he came across an old man leading a donkey and asked “Is this the way to the village?” “’Tis” Then the German decided to try his luck “Is there a Murphy in the village?” “Ah now let me see, we have Murphy the publican, Murphy the barber, Murphy the cobbler, Murphy the doctor, Murphy the carpenter…” The German looked bewildered, so the old man said “Tell me now, It wouldn’t be Murphy the spy your lookin’ for?”
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
On the lighter side, you just reminded me of a story I heard many years ago Ania.
During the last world war a German parachutist landed in a field near a village in Cork, he was to contact a spy there by the name of Murphy, there are an awful lot of Murphys in Cork, he buried his parachute and donned farmers garb then headed towards the village, he came across an old man leading a donkey and asked “Is this the way to the village?” “’Tis” Then the German decided to try his luck “Is there a Murphy in the village?” “Ah now let me see, we have Murphy the publican, Murphy the barber, Murphy the cobbler, Murphy the doctor, Murphy the carpenter…” The German looked bewildered, so the old man said “Tell me now, It wouldn’t be Murphy the spy your lookin’ for?”
Nice one, Jem.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 01:52 PM

That made me lol, Jem!
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Brilliant trust the Irish to know.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Well there's a strange coincidence, I spied a horse going in the 2.35 at Ascot today and I says to myself I'll have to do that, so I went mad with myself and put a tenner on it and it romped home at 9/2, I pocketed 45 euros winnings, the name of the horse…Agent Murphy!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Nice one, Jem! Do I get a cut for putting Murphy in your mind?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Nice one, Jem! Do I get a cut for putting Murphy in your mind?
No problem Ania, next time you go on holiday I’ll look after you, just give me the time the flight is going and I’ll get a good spot at the airport.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top