Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 05:15 AM

Re: Does the UK Have Comparable Gun Violence?

I'm writing on this thread again to address the last few weeks headlines. Last week someone started shooting at a military base, the day before last a movie theater, a few weeks back a church in South Carolina. It's just insane that they sell guns retail with little in the way of background checks.

They say the most recent shooter was a certified nut with a legal handgun. Part of the problem...I don't know how psychiatric care is over there. In the US they've pretty much done away with mental hospitals. If someone signs themselves into a psych unit the hospital has X amount of days to treat and stabilize then the person has to leave.

They might be given meds and referral to out patient programs. But then they're out on the street and have to handle their own care. Can you see where this might cause a problem? If those voices in your head are still saying you need a gun, you can buy one quite legally.

Scary situation...I walk my boy through some shady parts of town. An old woman with a big scary dog, I'm safe. But knowing you can go to a mall, the movies, even church and still be a target...really messed up to say the least.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 08:20 AM

We have very little psychiatric care here too the main problem remains you have guns we don't have that gun culture.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 03:52 PM

It i hard for the civilized world to understand how enough Yanks are unable to see the problem and fix it.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 06:20 PM

What does the Second Amendment to the US Constitution actually say? Here it is, in full: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
By lopping off the first half of the sentence, the pro-gun lobby and its apologists have eliminated the Founders’ rationale for this amendment: That those who bore arms did so as members of a well-regulated militia. This was never a license for freelance vigilantism or mass killing of innocents. Time some politician in the US has the b**ls to stand up to the NRA and tell it as it was.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top