Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Re: Weighing scales (for people)

Thank you all for your responses and helpful advice.

I agree that accuracy is a secondary consideration. In fact, it is of little value at all if you are keeping a check on your weight.
What I should have done is stress that consistency is all important to me.

It doesn't matter if your weight is a pound or two different to what is shown on the doctor's scales or on Boots' all singing, all dancing scales! If you want to know whether you are gaining or losing weight, you want scales that are consistent in the measurement.

That's what I'd like anyway, and I'd be interested if anyone has found a set that can offer such consistent readings.
Thanks for the link to Argos, Meg. I have looked at many review already apart from the limited number on Which? but, like the Which? example I mentioned, many reviews seem to be contradictory which, to me, negates any positive statements.

If anyone has a specific set of bathroom scales that they are sure provide consistent readings, I'd be grateful to hear which ones!

Yes, I agree with deep pile carpets affecting readings. Most digital scales rely on a couple of small 'legs' underneath to compress sensors inside. If they are placed on a deep pile carpet, the carpet provides additional support to the underside of the scales and compromises the weight measurement.

Also, I'd add that BMI measurement is of no interest to me, as I can pinch several inches anyway!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 01:11 PM

It has just occurred to me that the most consistently accurate measuring devices are likely to be those that I used to see at the doctor's, which were actually a balance.

Provided the linkages are kept sound and rust-free, using an adjustable weight (or weights) that can be positioned along a beam would appear to be the best idea.

I've never seen them for sale anywhere, though, and if they were I suspect that they'd be expensive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you all for your responses and helpful advice.

I agree that accuracy is a secondary consideration. In fact, it is of little value at all if you are keeping a check on your weight.
What I should have done is stress that consistency is all important to me.

It doesn't matter if your weight is a pound or two different to what is shown on the doctor's scales or on Boots' all singing, all dancing scales! If you want to know whether you are gaining or losing weight, you want scales that are consistent in the measurement.

That's what I'd like anyway, and I'd be interested if anyone has found a set that can offer such consistent readings.
Thanks for the link to Argos, Meg. I have looked at many review already apart from the limited number on Which? but, like the Which? example I mentioned, many reviews seem to be contradictory which, to me, negates any positive statements.

If anyone has a specific set of bathroom scales that they are sure provide consistent readings, I'd be grateful to hear which ones!

Yes, I agree with deep pile carpets affecting readings. Most digital scales rely on a couple of small 'legs' underneath to compress sensors inside. If they are placed on a deep pile carpet, the carpet provides additional support to the underside of the scales and compromises the weight measurement.

Also, I'd add that BMI measurement is of no interest to me, as I can pinch several inches anyway!

JBR, the Weight Watchers ones I told you about don't have to be used for BMI and stuff, you can easily set them to do weight only if you want, it's your choice. It depends what people want them for.

Yes, they do have to be on a hard floor if you want accurate results. You also have to be barefoot because you stand on two electrodes which wouldn't work through socks.

How to know if they are accurate? Hard to say if your body weight changes a little most days, then obviously they won't always weigh the same..
I can weigh at home, then weigh on the gym scales, and both are abut the same, so I assume they must be about right then. If they both differed by half a stone I still wouldn't really know which one was telling the truth would I. But that doesn't happen, both scales are always much the same as each other.
Hope that's a bit of help.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-04-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
JBR, the Weight Watchers ones I told you about don't have to be used for BMI and stuff, you can easily set them to do weight only if you want, it's your choice. It depends what people want them for.

Yes, they do have to be on a hard floor if you want accurate results. You also have to be barefoot because you stand on two electrodes which wouldn't work through socks.

How to know if they are accurate? Hard to say if your body weight changes a little most days, then obviously they won't always weigh the same..
I can weigh at home, then weigh on the gym scales, and both are abut the same, so I assume they must be about right then. If they both differed by half a stone I still wouldn't really know which one was telling the truth would I. But that doesn't happen, both scales are always much the same as each other.
Hope that's a bit of help.
Thanks Mups, but I'm not sure which scales you refer to. Do you have a link, please?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-04-2016, 03:13 PM

I weighed myself this morning:
before shower = 13st 1.4lb
after shower = 13st 0.8lb

I can only assume that, during the shower, I washed off nearly half a pound of dirt, sweat and dead skin. Yeuch!

Not my feet, though. My feet are lovely. You could eat your dinner off my feet.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Scales!!.don't mention them..I flung My digi' ones out a few years ago as they went a bit doolally...just bought another set (not digi) only prob' is I can't actually see if I've lost or gained weight as the Lbs digit is so tiny,and if I bend down to get a closer look,the needle wavers all over the place,a waste of money,so back to the tape measure for Me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Just looking through the customers' reviews for weighing scales on the John Lewis web site, I noticed that more than half of them don't mention accuracy or consistency of weight measurements; most of their customers talk about how pleased they are that the scales match their bathroom decor so well. It seems that Lewis's clientelle are more interested in appearances than practicalities. Quelle surprise!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Scales!!.don't mention them..I flung My digi' ones out a few years ago as they went a bit doolally...just bought another set (not digi) only prob' is I can't actually see if I've lost or gained weight as the Lbs digit is so tiny,and if I bend down to get a closer look,the needle wavers all over the place,a waste of money,so back to the tape measure for Me.
I have the same problem May, I have to crouch down to read the numbers then they change . Still it could be a good thing I can't read them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 04:18 PM

I can only assume that, during the shower, I washed off nearly half a pound of dirt, sweat and dead skin. Yeuch!

my scales do that Jim , I get on and off a number of times and go for the average

Just looking through the customers' reviews for weighing scales on the John Lewis web site, I noticed that more than half of them don't mention accuracy or consistency of weight measurements; most of their customers talk about how pleased they are that the scales match their bathroom decor so well. It seems that Lewis's clientelle are more interested in appearances than practicalities. Quelle surprise!
On no...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 05:29 PM

While there are no doubt countless ladies queuing up to eat their dinner off your beautiful feet JBR, I hope you don't mind if I just send you a link instead.

www.amazon.co.uk/Weight-Watchers-8991BU

Tell me if that link doesn't work and I'll try again.
I can step on and off mine half a dozen times and it never alters the reading, but they must be on a hard floor. which my bathroom floor is, and you need to be barefoot too.

I see Amazon have got them on offer for about £7 less at the moment.
If that link doesn't work, you could google Weight Watchers bathroom scales Model 8991BU. That's what I just did.

P.S.
Bit delicate perhaps, but when you mentioned about you weighed less after your shower, my gym trainer says it makes a difference if you are constipated or 'just been.' (Not prying like, but just saying).
Isn't that why jockeys 'have to go' before weighing in?

Where's our Jem, bet he'd know . . .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top