Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Re: Childhood memories

I remember sharing the bath with my sister and having to sit at the uncomfortable "tap end" because my mother said I was the eldest.
Also, thinking the mice who lived behind our skirting boards were my pets, leaving food for them and watching them, fascinated, from under the kitchen table when they came out to get it. My dad found about what I was doing and he watched for them as well - with a shovel to bash them with when they came out. I cried my eyes out about that.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 09:43 PM

I remember getting my first two wheeled bicycle . . . after falling off repeatedly I eventually got the hang of it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Lucky you, Nero! I never could get the hang of it, fell off over and over and over and over.....fortunately it was a friend's, not mine........
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Going to Hucknall air show around 1960, when I was allowed to sit in the Spitfire's cockpit..every youngster's dream machine.....
Oh!!! - this has stirred another childhood memory of mine Plantman matey. Sometime in the 1950s My Dad, my Uncle, my Cousin and I were at Tangmere Airdrome (I think possibly the Battle of Britain anniversary). We stood at the far end of the runway away from approaching aircraft. At the end of the Airshow, the 'Piece De Resistance' was a fly by by a Vulcan Bomber. The aircraft flew low over the trees and approached the runway no more than ten feet off the ground. The roar from the Rolls Royce Pegasus engines was enormous. As it approached us, the Pilot pulled back on the stick, switched on the afterburners and it climbed vertically right above us. At over 20,000 feet we could still feel the hot blast emitting from the Vulcan's after burners.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Going to the shop was always fascinating, watching them pat the butter, weigh sugar into blue bags, cutting a wedge of cheese with the cheesewire and asking for some broken biscuits out of the bottom of the tin because they were a couple of pennies cheaper than whole ones....oh, and the excitement of taking a bottle back and getting threepence to spend on sweets....

And can you remember your mum's Co-op number? Ours was 55280..
ruby
lancashire
ruby is female  ruby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 07:12 PM

I remember being asked to go for a shovel by a horrid loud teacher who scared the daylights out of us,,,really chuffed i was all over the school looking for the janitor,,,anyhow i found him in the boiler room and asked for the shovel....Took the shovel back to the teacher who i could see by her expression on her face was very angry,and she screamed and said that she had not asked for a Shovel but had asked for a Spoon for the Sugar..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 07:42 PM

I don't know why this sticks in my memory but every time I see a kid in very cold weather it springs to mind.
When I was about nine my Mother was sick and kept me out of school to give her a hand. She sent me down to the butchers shop to get a chicken and some sausages, it was the worst Winter in a long time and I was perished standing in the cold shop waiting for all the Women to be served first. After a long hours wait my turn finally came and with two frozen little hands I took the meat from the butcher. As I was about to leave the shop I heard one Woman say to another, "Ah look at that poor kid, he's frozen". "Not atall Brenda, kids don't feel the cold". I could have pelted her with the dead chicken, but gentleman that I was even then, I just gritted my teeth and made my way home.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 10:08 PM

No wonder you never forgot that ... what a sad memory, what a stupid unfeeling woman!
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 09:53 PM

I remember burying my new school shoes in the garden because they were horrible...........Tuff Go Girls they were called and they had a compass in the sole..... (I suspect they were Army surplus )..........lol
Got such a good hiding as money was tight and I couldn't remember where I'd buried them......Makes me chuckle now but I do feel guilty at the same time.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Oh my gosh, I have so many memories of times gone by, so much so that I have chronicled as many memories that I can think of. Reason being is this, should I at some time be unfortunate enough to suffer from Alzheimer's disease or dementia, I started to write my life story down of all the things I can remember from being a child of 18 months old, to now. So many of them, and I can't pick one out in particular.

I think everybody should do this, to leave to their children/grandchildren, who probably has no special interest right now, but in time they may appreciate the history of them.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top