Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Re: Has anybody had a blind dog?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is disturbing behaviour how old is Henry ?
He's about 14
Disturbing in what way?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2016, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
He may not be totally deaf but has a degree of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction) which means he hears sounds differently to the way he once did so no longer recognise them. It can also cause restlessness.
Try clapping, he may be able to pick up the vibrations. If you clap near to him and he responds reward the behaviour with a high-value treat and practice doing it a number of times always rewarding him. Gradually increase the distance to detemine the range he can detect
He hears me whistle but doesn't know from where it's coming.
Bless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He's about 14
Disturbing in what way?

I would consider Muddy's post actually Tpin.
Did this behaviour just recently start?

If he is 'circling' it can be just an ear infection.
If he's constantly wanting to go out I would consider other things.

1. Firstly, I'd go with him, take a torch and watch where he goes and what he's doing out there.
2. Could there have been a cat, rabbits, fox, or some other critter out there which he is going back to look for? Or even a favourite toy, or buried a bone perhaps?
3. Is he actually peeing every time, or just staring into space and then coming in again?

If he is not doing anything when he goes out, I might consider senility starting. Vet can probably help with that.
But if he is peeing every time, I would also see the vet, preferably taking a fresh sample for him to check his urine for infections.

Lastly, don't forget older dogs can get prostate trouble just the same as humans. Many years ago it happened to one of my elderly dogs, so I'd definitely get that checked too.

If it's a new thing, and out of character, I'd get him to the vets next week.
Hope the poor old chap is OK.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 07:03 AM

Yes, and learnt a lot, the dogs welfare is paramount not your own.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 08:04 AM

My Apso developed this behaviour, and it turned out to be related to brain damage, she had to be put down. Sorry to be so frank, but a visit to a vet ASAP to get him checked out.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2016, 08:15 AM

That's my worry Nom.

@Mups
No he isn't doing anything.
He just goes out then straight back in.
He's not circling like my Gran's dog did.
Once he's settled down on his bed he sleeps for England with no problems
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Iīm sorry to hear Henry has problems. One of my sonīs dogs is almost blind, but has been so from birth, she copes very well but tends to stay close to his other dog. Our neighbours here had a similar problem with their elderly Westie, her behaviour got stranger and stranger, the vets said it was old age and the canine version of Alzheimers. If you get Henry checked out at the vetīs at least you will know what you are dealing with and how best to handle it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Edvard ->
My brother had a border collie that went blind. They let him bash into doors and such. I thought it was so cruel.
If a blind dog approaches a solid object (Like a door) the air he displaces should bounce back and be detected by the whiskers around his chin.

That is what those whiskers are for, I can't verify this (You'll need to speak to a vet) but you should never cut those whiskers.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Blind dog (14yo) = dead dog.
Why prolong its discomfort which can only worsen as it ages even more.
Kindness.

Besides, it would be bloody useless at chasing cats.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Blind dog (14yo) = dead dog.
Why prolong its discomfort which can only worsen as it ages even more.
Kindness.

Besides, it would be bloody useless at chasing cats.
Kindness, wtf do you know about kindness?
He is happy, he told me so.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top