Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Re: Not sure how safe this contactless is

I would have been very cross if someone had swiped the card out of my hand to tap it for contactless Julie. The problem is if you are having a shaky day like you said you probably just wanted to get out of there so didn't say anything.

But don't let anyone do that in future just because they are impatient.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 05:11 PM

I like the contact-less way of paying because it eliminates the pin which saves time.

I've been using it for two years with no problems whatsoever. I just wish they would allow more than £30 but I expect it will come.

That lady had no business snatching your card out of your hand, Julie. It's put me on my guard and you, too, I expect.

I always use a card guard for my debit card, too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 05:31 PM

I don't use the contactless facility on my card I refuse to do so.

If any contactless payments are made from my account I will be able to tell the bank I have not and never will use it so they are not mine.

Likewise cash machines after the fiasco my son had when we were on holiday and a cash machine gobbled up his card.
If I need cash I request cash back when shopping or go into the post office.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 05:51 PM

Both my wife and I have been paying contactless where possible for a year or so with no problems. My biggest worry is not remembering my PIN if needed because I don't use it so much now.

I keep cards in an aluminium case for carrying around.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't use the contactless facility on my card I refuse to do so.

If any contactless payments are made from my account I will be able to tell the bank I have not and never will use it so they are not mine.

Likewise cash machines after the fiasco my son had when we were on holiday and a cash machine gobbled up his card.
If I need cash I request cash back when shopping or go into the post office.
I don't like the cashback facility....it enables crooks(if they have your card and PIN)to navigate round the cards daily cash limit.

For example: They can draw the maximum from the ATM and then get cashback wherever this service is offered.

I've used it myself when I've needed to draw more than my daily limit....far too easy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I like the contact-less way of paying because it eliminates the pin which saves time.
It saves time? How many seconds to put your card in the reader and tap in the number?

Not for me, thanks.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Mrs Dobra and I have both been to our Lloyds Bank branch and asked for the contactless to be stopped. We have both received new cards in under two weeks. The cashier whispered that she doesn't use it either.....

My philosophy is to be useful it must be Fail-Safe. and these cards aren't ! Why buy a piece of tin to shield it from scanners when you were quite happy with the old card system? Don't forget, if you drop it in a public place, the finder can go on a multiple £30 spending spree?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Mrs Dobra and I have both been to our Lloyds Bank branch and asked for the contactless to be stopped. We have both received new cards in under two weeks. The cashier whispered that she doesn't use it either.....

My philosophy is to be useful it must be Fail-Safe. and these cards aren't ! Why buy a piece of tin to shield it from scanners when you were quite happy with the old card system? Don't forget, if you drop it in a public place, the finder can go on a multiple £30 spending spree?
Very true, although actually I bought my aluminium wallets (I've had two now) before I even received a contactless card, primarily because, having kept my cards in a leather wallet next to my heart (in my back pocket), I was finding them becoming bent and beginning to crack.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 07:21 PM

We received new cards with contactless automatically enabled. We had to go to the bank to get it disabled.

My daughters workmate showed her how easy it is to scam/copy these cards so she has hers disabled too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If worse came to worse and your card was stolen, they could only use it 3 times in one day, with a maximum of £30 spend each time.
I'm afraid that's not true Mups.

It would apply only to those stores who are hooked up online to the banking systems during the day. That's many mainstream stores of course, however, there are plenty of other stores, esp those at retail parks/outlets who are NOT hooked up online. What these stores do is take card details from the reader (whether done as chip n pin or contactless) and then overnight or next morning those transactions are downloaded in bulk to the banking system and it is only at that point that the problems would be realised.

The contactless system has been long criticised for that fundamental issue and for failures in the actual banks to properly check the transactions.

So, getting back to your point, if your card WAS stolen, the crims could make repeated purchases, each up to £30 at stores where they know the system was not online so they could easily rack up £100s of pounds.

The system is inherently stupid and really doesn't save a great deal of time, I mean it takes just seconds to put your PIN into a reader so really what is being saved?

Yet the banks have likely invested £millions in the technology putting RFID chips in your bank cards to enable this and developing and rolling out card readers capable of detecting the RFID chip.

You must ask yourselves logically and as un-naively as you can, why would the banks invest so much money in this technology when, THEY THEMSELVES gain no financial benefit from it. Really, do think that through people. You're paying the same amount of money whether you use contactless or type in your PIN, the banks make no more money from you if you choose contactless, and indeed the contactless system is costing the banks money to operate.

Why are they doing it?

Truthfully, imho, because this has nothing at all to do with banking and everything to do with a more sinister and nefarious Big Brother initiative to "bag and tag" YOU as an individual by implanting that RFID chip in your actual hand, under your skin. So in future you won't carry that contactless card, you will simply wave your hand over the chip to pay.

Do not for an instant think this is pie in the sky. This technology has been trialled for some years already, and many thousands of people already have the chips in their hands. This is not something you want imo. Once you are tagged, you are essentially just like a cow or sheep with a tag in your ear. Your every movement will be tracked by hidden readers in doorways, stores, just about everywhere. Your privacy will be totally gone. The ability to pay for stuff by waving your hand over a reader is just the "sci-fi" fun tech that will be used to trap the young generation who will deem it cool. Offices will replace their doors that currently have swipe card security or pin code panels with RFID readers. You will walk up to the locked door, wave your hand over a reader and it will open.

Here are some articles to read:

The Aussies are first in line for bagging n tagging

http://www.globalresearch.ca/austral...n-body/5549286

The religious contingent out there recognises this technology as the prophecy in the Bible's book of Revelations in which humans are given the 666 mark of the beast.

I've warned people that this is coming many many times, but sadly too many are too quick to ridicule. Well, too late now because your human RFID chip is coming. Supporting the contactless card system and allowing yourself to be duped that it is about making transactions quicker at tills is your downfall. People need to start THINKING instead of believing the mantra spoonfed to them by the elite.

We need to oppose this tech because it's the thin end of the wedge.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top