Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 01:49 AM

Re: Tinyurl

Originally Posted by Azz ->
It's a shortening/redirect service, so while usually you see the URL, eg:

www.bbc.co.uk

with a shortening service it might be something like

http://ti.ny/242j

So you don't know where the URL is going to take you.

I hate them
Thank you Azz. I always bow to greater experience, and it is also much appreciated.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 06:57 AM

If you use Firefox, they have an add-on called "Do Not Track Plus" which blocks trackers on your PC. You can download it free from the Firefox site. At this very moment three companies are trying to track me on here and it has blocked them and has blocked 7,192 since I downloaded it.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks for that, Jean, but I think I'll just leave well alone, otherwise I'll end up doing something daft.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Mollie,
Do you do a disk clean when you are finished for the day? That would clean a lot of cookies.
And also do a "delete browsing history," often.

I don't know about those tiny url's.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

05-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mlee ->
Mollie,
Do you do a disk clean when you are finished for the day? That would clean a lot of cookies.
And also do a "delete browsing history," often.

I don't know about those tiny url's.
I do a regular disc clean, and I use my Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware on a regular basis, but TinyUrl is a website for viewing free films etc and I was checking the security of it.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 10:30 PM

HI Mollie,
A while back, for myself, just being on a site that had something I didn't know about, gave me some problems.

Just didn't want it to happen to any friends.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

05-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mlee ->
HI Mollie,
A while back, for myself, just being on a site that had something I didn't know about, gave me some problems.

Just didn't want it to happen to any friends.
I appreciate your concern. I'm reasonably well up on computer stuff but I'm no computer whizz kid If there's something I don't know, I ask. That's why I rarely click onto any links unless I know they're safe.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Another tip - if you have the most recent Firefox or Internet Explorer update a coloured sign comes up at the right side of any website you have googled showing whether it is safe or not.

On my Firefox browser, when I google a website and all the suggestions come up on the screen, there is agree "dot" at the side of each one which tells you if it can be trusted and also when you go into an unsafe website a message pops up telling you it might be dangerous to go there. Maybe updating your browser might help.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 02:02 AM

Everyone is so paranoid.

Your firewall is active? Your anti virus software up to date?

Then you have nothing to fear but fear itself. it is like not going out of the house because you might get run over. It is true and there is a very remote chance it will happen but you will miss out on so much if you don't.

If you are really scared then use this site to check the shortened URL first:

http://longurl.org/

Not that it means that much because even innocent looking long URLs can expose you to danger but common sense and your anti virus software are on your side.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:00 AM

I must admit I rely completely on my firewall and anti-virus software. I wouldn't do much on my computer if I hadn't got it. I take a leap of faith, trust I am protected and the stuff I have bought will do it's job and keep my computer safe.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top