Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 11:28 PM

Re: One in Two to get Cancer?

Just a thought-as we get older many men die with prostate cancer but not as a result from it.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I can't say it really surprised me. Every other one of my friends has it or has had it. It's really on the increase, without a doubt. I think it's something that some have to die with, but it seems to be getting more common. If not then heart disease and strokes. I don't think we'll ever find a cure for some cancers. I can only assume it's something to do with our lifestyle today.
It can't be due to lifestyle, children get cancer too
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
We can send a man to the moon, yet we can't cure a disease they've been studying and researching for decades.

I wish they'd find a cure for it. But I really don't think we'll see that in our lifetime.
Cancer is not one disease is it? Cancer is just a generic name for a range of diseases - there will not be one cure for them all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Cancer is not one disease is it? Cancer is just a generic name for a range of diseases - there will not be one cure for them all.
Beat me to it I was about to say cancer covers a wide variety of diseases really.

I would like to know which ones are rising ? as I know several people who have had skin cancers from sun bathing.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, it certainly isn't just one disease. It's a very complex thing, cancer is. Each cancer/tumor has its own genetic makeup, so you're absolutely right, there's no way they'll be able to cure them all, if any.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Good point.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Part of the problem is that it's often diagnosed late when it's already spread to other parts of the body. The problem is that the symptoms are very vague and can be minor for quite a long time.
A GP can't refer everyone who has a vague stmptoms for tests and they will often monitor someone for a while, the vast majority with vague symptoms will have IBS or acid reflux or similar but the problem is that some, even sometimes the least likely ones, will have cancer.
It's knowing when there are warning signs at present, but there is talk of a simple blood test which can be done at the GPs being developed which will indicated signs of cancer in the body and this should help a lot with earlier diagnosis.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:28 PM

I have two friends dying of cancer at the moment. Both had so many diagnostic tests which showed nothing. Until it was too late. They are receiving end of life care. One will be leaving a two year old. All the money spent on cancer research isn't helping that much IMO.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:12 PM

That's very sad, it's so much worse when it's a young person with little children, I had a friend who died at 26 of ovarian cancer and a family member died in her 40's of breast cancer leaving her young family behind.
There has been improvement in survival rates and treatment but that is counteracted to some degree by the fact that we are an ageing population so there are more people with cancer.
Cancer research does very well as regards charitable donations and there is a lot of work going on all the time.
The problem is its not like fighting a virus or a bacteria, that's an enemy you can identify easily and its an invader from outside the body. With cancer its your own body and your own cells which are going wrong. That does not have the same warning signs as a bacteria for example.
Its really difficult to detect in the early stages and it's so good at sneakily getting to all the vital parts of the body before it's found that something is wrong.
I do think that an early detection method will be developed but people will always die of cancer because not everyone will even realise they need a test until it's too late. We can just hope for a real reduction in numbers.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Some cancers can be due to lifestyle......some are not.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top